readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Space Opera?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 2 comments I was wondering if anyone knew any good space opera novels with lots of unique alien races, ships, and such?

message 2: by Betsy (last edited Aug 24, 2013 07:00PM) (new)

Betsy | 184 comments I didn't see Honor Harrington on your shelves. It's one of the best loved space opera series. Not too many enemy aliens but a couple friendly ones, and lots of space ships and battles. Later books in the series get into galactic politics more. There are 20-some books in actually three different series, plus a number of short stories.

Start with On Basilisk Station.

Honor Harrington is the central character and she has been called a female Horatio Hornblower in space. The main series follows her career from her first posting as captain of a ship through many exciting adventures.

The characters are well drawn, including many minor ones, and the plots are well written. My only complaints have been with the excessive detail of the description of space ships and their weapons.

I recommend the series highly.

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 2 comments Betsy wrote: "I didn't see Honor Harrington on your shelves. It's one of the best loved space opera series. Not too many enemy aliens but a couple friendly ones, and lots of space ships and battles. Later boo..."

I haven't heard anything but praise for that series. I'll add it to my list.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 184 comments There are some 30 lists that come up if you search listopias for "space opera". See:

http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

But I don't think all of them are really on point. However, you should be able to find some good candidates. Hyperion and Old Man's War get good reviews, but I haven't read them.

I suppose the Foundation series could be considered space opera, although I wouldn't characterize it that way. No aliens, no battles, not much about ships.

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Yeah…Foundation is hard sci-fi, IMO.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara (vivianstreet) | 19 comments I think Betsy's Honor Harrington suggestion primed me to think of military science fiction series, so the first one that came to mind was Tanya Huff's Confederation. I've read the first two, and even though I usually don't got for military SF I thought they were pretty good. There's plenty of aliens and spaceships, though I can't remember whether they go in-depth on the specs.

I think Iain M. Banks's Culture series definitely fits your request. I've only read one of the books, so I can't give you a recommendation of where to start, but a lot of people love it.

I also second the Old Man's War series. Humans compete against a bunch of other alien species for colonization rights to planets. It starts out on an Earth that doesn't look much different than it does now, but you don't stay there long.