Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > New Austen Non-fiction: Among the Janeites

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
A short while ago, we three moderators of this group were thrilled to be offered advance copies of a new non-fiction book about the Jane Austen fandom called Among the Janeites by Deborah Yaffe. It is about to be published early in September.

We will be posting links to our opinions here for you all to see. We hope this will incite interest in this book and others like it so that discussion of our favorite Jane will never come to an end.

Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

We hope you add your thoughts if you get a chance to read the book. Enjoy!

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly Fairall (birdbrainbooks) (birdbrainbooks) | 48 comments I loved the book! Just read it; I have long been an Austen fan but it really inspired me to get back in touch with rereading the books and diving into discussions. It's a smart and funny read.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Aug 23, 2013 05:20PM) (new)

Megan I have read the book and loved it. I thought her "journey" through fandom and her portraits of the people (past and present) she encountered was very well written and extremely readable. I especially liked the chapter on the JASNA AGM in Fort Worth. I attended that one and thought her reporting of it was dead on. It is a fast read, very well done and very enjoyable. It is well worth your time!

My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments Jealous much Rachel! Enjoy

message 5: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I am still in the fascinating midst if this book. One of the best things about this Deborah Yaffe book is that she doesnt just throw out a book to take advantage of us Janeites---we tend to like to read anything about Jane, right?---instead she is right in there with us. She understands us, and IS one of us actually.

As I said, I am still enjoying my way through this book, but, so far, she has really made me go back and re-examine my own experience with reading Jane (with Becoming Jane Austen-fan; if you will pardon my fun). If you long-time Austen readers can relate to when you get the question "But why do you read Jane Austen so much, there are so many great authors?" We aren't always able to answer logically on the spot. Yaffe brings up this question throughout her book and examines the many answers---by interviewing lots of fascinating readers and writers (ones you will know), and some of the answers they give are my answers too! Imagine!

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 605 comments I enjoyed this book a lot. It was breezy and enjoyable.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan I had the privilege of meeting the author over the weekend at the JASNA AGM in Minneapolis. She was very nice and signed my book!

message 8: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 605 comments Megan you are so lucky! I really liked her history of the fandom and her own experiences helped make the book better.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Emsley (sarahemsley) | 5 comments I really like the way Deborah Yaffe explores diversity among the Janeites. We don't all match the caricature, and she does a great job of profiling a pretty wide range of fans. I also like what she says at the end about how "the diversity of the fandom suggests something hopeful about the possibility of human connection."

I thought it worked well to frame the book with the search for The Dress - her reluctance to participate in that aspect of Janeite culture, and her examination of that reluctance, were really interesting.

What did you all think of the chapter on "Walking Where Jane Walked"? Do you think it enriches your reading of the novels if you make the JA pilgrimage?

message 10: by Alysia (new)

Alysia (nineteenoone) I read this and posted my review on youtube :) I would love if people would check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrGM3...

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan My local JASNA chapter had the privilege of having Deborah Yaffe join us via Skype for her remarks and then Q & A. She has been a lifelong Janeite and has gone on the JASNA tours of England. She spoke about her research and what all she encountered. She is a highly entertaining speaker and if you get a chance to hear her speak, go!

message 12: by Danine (new)

Danine | 11 comments Oh, I must read this and see who got profiled. We've had an English Regency dance group in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1985. Before the internet.

message 13: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Dellinger | 44 comments I am reading it now and love it. What binds us all together, there are such a diverse group of Janeites. I loved the stories of each one. I hope to finish it. She is a good writer and she keeps me on my toes and interested in the next chapter.

message 14: by C. (last edited Apr 20, 2015 08:59AM) (new)

C. Definitely on my TBR list! :]

message 15: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Christie | 1 comments One hundred and ninety nine years ago, in an English country churchyard, a lady was laid to rest who enraptures the hearts of millions around the world today. She was only forty one years old, and had never married, though her thoughts were all of girls in love with love and getting wed; and from those thoughts she spun tales which still enchant us. The world of her words has the crystallised completeness of fairytale. The actual world in which she wrote was, of course, as messy as ours. And different though it was in many ways, in two absolutely fundamental respects nothing at all has changed: the division into ‘haves’ and ‘have-nots’, and the careful ways in which the ‘haves’ portion out their concern for those less fortunate than them. … And so it is in reading stories. This book is dedicated to lovers of literature who have a thought to spare for the never-enough-considered undistinguished multitude who “keep those wheels a-turnin’.” This is the book about Jane Austen that you were looking for. Without presupposing any background, it takes the reader on a fascinating intellectual journey documenting the enormous contribution Austen has made to the genre of literary fiction. Carefully crafted and beautifully written, as far as books on literature go, this is a masterpiece.

http://www.christiebooks.com/Christie...

message 16: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Stuart, thanks for posting the book link. This thread is for another book actually, so you might want to move the post to where it can be found more easily.

message 17: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 480 comments The whole description sounds like publicity-speak, which makes me a bit wary of taking Stuart’s post at face value.

message 18: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Yes, I will move it from the Yaffe thread if necessary. It can post elsewhere, and anyone can review at own discretion.

message 19: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 37 comments I loved the book! It was a wonderful revelation to find out that there are people out there that are as Jane Austen crazy as I am or even more Jane Austen crazy. There is a whole world Jane Austen I love it!