What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Fiction: Photographer and son go to the Alaskan Yukon during the gold rush /s

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon | 4 comments I'm 34 years old and I read this book multiple times when I was in elementary school so it must have been published before 1993 I would think. It was probably published at least a little while before that could have been published many years before.

It starts out in with a family in California. The father is a photographer and the son doesn't like it. I think they had been photographing loggers and the son feels like they are poor. They get word of the gold rush in the Yukon and father and son take a ship up to Alaska. The rest of the story is about their experiences there. The only scenes I can only remember that at one point they are at a mine and the owner of the mine shows the boy the chain across his vest which has a gold nugget on it and another where the boy goes to a neighbor and gets yeast for bread because he and his father are in poor health and need to make bread. They get paid in gold dust and small gold nuggets from time to time I think. At the end the boy tells his father he wants to buy a camera.

message 2: by Tab (new)

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon | 4 comments Good try but definitely not. It was a lot longer than 64 pages and the son didn't want to go. Lol, I wish I could just call the old school librarian...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments Stampede North by Ruth Franchere?
http://www.worldcat.org/title/stamped...

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon | 4 comments YES! I think that's it! Thank you so much Lisa! The cover looks right so I've already ordered a copy. I'll let you know for sure when it arrives. I'm pretty excited to read one of my favorite childhood books again.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments You're welcome. Hope it's the right book.

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon | 4 comments It is! I really enjoyed reading it again. Thanks so much Lisa.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments Great!