Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Random Stuff > Bullying on Good Reads?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I ran into this article: http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/debut...

about an author who pulled her book due to bullying on Good Reads. What do you think?

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Aug 21, 2013 04:45PM) (new)

Diane | 12845 comments I have received hateful and threatening messages by authors that had issues with my rating of their books, so I suppose it is possible. However, this type of behavior has to be from a finite percentage of the population here, and certainly anything but typical. The article implies that we readers here on Goodreads are an ignorant and bullying lot as a whole.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yeah, that's wrong. I don't think I've ever seen any real abuse. Even when I read bad reviews of books they are at least phrased nicely.

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Aug 21, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Kirsten wrote: "Yeah, that's wrong. I don't think I've ever seen any real abuse. Even when I read bad reviews of books they are at least phrased nicely."

Unfortunately, there are crazy people no matter where you go. I think being afraid for your life and safety because of how someone shelved your book is a bit exaggerated, no matter how crude the shelf names are.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 504 comments It feels like a bit of immaturity on the parts of both reviewers and author. They didn't have to come up with such shelf names, but if she hadn't panicked and reacted to some 2-star reviews in the first place, maybe they wouldn't have. Being an author is tough. There are a thousand ways for people out there to perceive a book and you really can't stop the negative reviews. But your book will get a decent rating if it really is good, so just relax and wait for some people to actually read your book before rating.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 437 comments There are soo many things wrong with this article that i don't even know where to begin...because here's the thing - I gave the author advice in the feedback thread when she came to complain about a 2 star review when the book hadn't been read (don't get me wrong, I disagree with the starring if you haven't read, but that is a members perogative and i'll defend to death their right to do it)...up until then there was little known about the author/her book...

then one of her fans/friends told that initial review to go and shove his hand in a blender...it just went downhill from there

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 662 comments Diane wrote: "I have received hateful and threatening messages by authors that had issues with my rating of their books, so I suppose it is possible. However, this type of behavior has to be from a finite perce..."

Diane, I just wanted to point out, not about bullying, but about the sophistication level of most people on Goodreads. Well Insurgent by Veronica Roth won best book of the year as nominated by the most popular vote on Goodreads. Clearly this is not a sophisticated nor particularly well written novel - it is surely not the Pulitzer.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Seemingly Mentally Ill Internet Commenter Presumably Functions In Outside World

Though his incoherent, deeply uninformed, and often abusive internet comments seem to suggest he suffers from severe mental illness, web user DaemonX is in all likelihood a normal individual capable of functioning in the outside world, sources reported Wednesday.

Noting that he must at least own a computer, know how to use it, and possess the basic skills required to publish his thoughts on numerous websites and forums, internet users said DaemonX—the username of a person who posts dozens of inane and delusional comments online every day—is presumably a stable member of society.

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 21, 2013 08:47PM) (new)

Sarah | 662 comments Can't the author flag the comments for abuse and can't foreheads (oh autocorrect - Goodreads) block it or something or is that censorship?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 662 comments Osho wrote: "Seemingly Mentally Ill Internet Commenter Presumably Functions In Outside World

Though his incoherent, deeply uninformed, and often abusive internet comments seem to suggest he suffers from sever..."

I don't know. I am an ER nurse and have had several patients who were having active delusions and hallucinations posting crazy stuff on the internet. They were actively psychotic yet still able to use the computer and internet but the rantings and ravings were very much a product of the mental illness.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Denner | 1 comments Kirsten wrote: "I ran into this article: http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/debut...

about an author who pulled her book due to bullying on Good Reads. What do you think?"

I read the article, it's kind of upsetting. I'm new to GR and am enjoying it. I haven't seen any abusive comments so far, and those mentioned are disturbing, but it is a tough/crazy world so if I were the author I would still release the book; I mean book/music preferences are very personal so there will be some that hate it and some that love it, that's how it is and that's how it should be. I will say though that it is immature and uncalled for to overstate your negative feelings about a book. Let's keep it clean and informative and fun, not nasty, rude and mean.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Sarah wrote: "Diane wrote: "I have received hateful and threatening messages by authors that had issues with my rating of their books, so I suppose it is possible. However, this type of behavior has to be from ..."

Sarah, I had to reply to this comment. When GoodReads has their Choice Awards, they aren't polling critics. They are polling readers. If enough people enjoyed the book, it wins. I am just starting Divergent. But it seems to me that people bad mouth some books and push forward other books as incredible.

Like when Franzen's new book came out. It hadn't even been published and it was being touted as a masterpiece. Now I haven't read it. But that's another way to look at it.

It's just we all have separate likes and dislikes. One of the things I always notice in my sci-fi book club that I'm a member of, is that my view is almost always exactly opposite of everyone else.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Insurgent (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Veronica Roth (other topics)