All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > The Top 100 Crime Novels of All Time

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Being a mystery/thriller buff, this list is one I am working on. Which of these mystery and crime novels have you read?

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/2017...

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Aug 21, 2013 03:45PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have read 52 of these (I won't list them all, at least not right now!) and am about halfway through The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Our classics book, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, will probably be my next one from this list!

message 3: by HJ (new)

HJ I've read 47 of them, and I was interested to note that I didn't want to read the other 53 and wished I hadn't read a few of the ones I had! I wouldn't have classified some of the books on the list as "crime novels"; I thought of them as thrillers, for example. In some respects my reading has narrowed as I've aged, in that I just don't read books I don't fancy regardless of the hype surrounding them (mainly because I think they'll be too gruesome or violent, or miserable), but on the other hand I do try genres new to me which don't fall foul of those concerns. I've always loved crime novels, but I know now that I like classics (like Raymond Chandler) and typically English mysteries (Josephine Tey, Dorothy L Sayers, Ngaio Marsh etc) and don't like clinical or gory ones.

I'm reading the Dave Brandstetter series by Joseph Hansen, which are excellent. The first ones were published in the 1970s so are beautifully dated, but the mysteries are very good and the characterization, mood, and sense of place are excellent. They were among the first (if not the first) crime books to feature an openly gay man as the lead character. The first is Fadeout.

message 4: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11717 comments Mod
I have only read:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes and Dracula, I have never really much of a crime fan but I think I have a couple of books on my kindle which I got during the amazon sale.

message 5: by Dhanaraj (last edited Aug 22, 2013 08:04AM) (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments I have read almost all of the Agatha Christie novels listed in the site; Other than that I have read John Grisham's The Firm, Mario Puzo's The Godfather and The Name of the Rose and Rebecca are in my To Read list.

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3248 comments I have read:

The Moonstone
The Woman In White
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Dracula
Rebecca
And Then There Were None
The Name Of The Rose
Crocodile On The Sandbank

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
Not time - and place - to look at the list! I love mysteries, so a lot if the titles you mentin I 've read!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read 3 of the Christie novels:

And Then There Were None
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd
Murder On The Orient Express

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I have read 3 of the Christie novels:

And Then There Were None
Murder On The Orient Express"

Those 3 are among her best! Christie is one of my favorite mystery writers:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I have read 3 of the Christie novels:

And Then There Were None
Murder On The Orient Express"

Those 3 are among her best! Christie is one of my favo..."

Christie is awesome. Probably my favorite mystery author.

message 11: by LauraT (new)

Less than I thought:
Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allen Poe
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens Reading Now!!!!
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The Talented Mr.Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
And Then There Were Noneby Agatha Christie
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd: A Hercule Poirot Mystery by Agatha Christie
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
The Body in the Library: A Miss Marple Mystery by Agatha Christie
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Witness for the Prosecution by AGATHA CHRISTIE
The Firm by John Grisham
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 12: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 243 comments It is a very wide interpretation of 'crime' isn't it?
I've read and enjoyed lots of Graham Greene in the past, but I wouldn't classify any as crime.
I'm also amazed that The Moving Toyshop is on the list. It starts intriguingly but then the plot falls to bits! (Well, in my opinion.)

message 13: by LauraT (new)

Joy wrote: "It is a very wide interpretation of 'crime' isn't it?
I've read and enjoyed lots of Graham Greene in the past, but I wouldn't classify any as crime.
I'm also amazed that The Moving Toyshop is on t..."

It is! But it is always like this in these lists, I find!

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Joy wrote: "It is a very wide interpretation of 'crime' isn't it?
I'm also amazed that The Moving Toyshop is on t..."

Why?? I would class The Moving Toyshop as one of the best mysteries I have read (and I have read a lot!)

Greene's Brighton Rock is clearly a crime book although not a mystery. The other Greene books on the list I would call suspense or thriller books, as opposed to mysteries, but suspense, thriller, and mystery are often grouped together.

message 15: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 243 comments Leslie - it's interesting that you rate The Moving Toyshop so highly when I was very disappointed with it - one man's meat etc! (Though I've noticed I often do like the same books as you.)

Yes I suppose many of Greene's are thrillers in a way, but they all have something more that seems the real point of them - the relationships between people, moral judgements etc. It was the early 80s when I read them so perhaps I'm misremembering.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Joy wrote: "Leslie - it's interesting that you rate The Moving Toyshop so highly when I was very disappointed with it - one man's meat etc! (Though I've noticed I often do like the same books as you.)

Yes I ..."

Greene wrote such a wide variety of books - from thrillers such as This Gun For Hire to satire (Our Man in Havana) to philosophical literary fiction such as The Power and the Glory and The End of the Affair… The more of his books I read, the more impressed I am by his ability!

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments The website listofbests.com has closed down so I am closing this & all other threads based on their lists.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.