All About Books discussion

Just for Fun > Who would you invite? A book meme

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments With a guilty wave to LibraryThing, from where I copied this...

description

message 2: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Can the authors be included? Or is it limited to Fictional Characters alone?

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11958 comments Mod
I have been thinking long and hard about this all day and so far I've come up with one name

1. Hermione Granger - Like me she is a bookworm. I've always admired her brains and her eagerness to learn as well as her bravery to stand by Harry Potter in the last book while they went hunting for horcruxes.

message 4: by Alannah (new)

I will probably think of more names overnight.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13413 comments Mod
I need time to think about it... And a desk to work on! I'll answer in sept. But in the meantime I'll look up at your answers!!!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Dhanaraj wrote: "Can the authors be included? Or is it limited to Fictional Characters alone?"

Characters only.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Aug 22, 2013 02:12PM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I may revise this as I think about it - very difficult to pick 7!

Here is my list for now:
Me
1. Julian Kestrel (from Kate Ross' books)
2. Elizabeth Bennett (from Pride and Prejudice)
3. Master Robinton (Masterharper of Pern from Anne McCaffrey's series)
4. Stavia (from The Gate to Women's Country)
5. Nicholas vander Poele (from Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo series)
6. Elinor Rochdale or Sarah Thane (from Georgette Heyer)
7. Lord Peter Whimsey (from Dorothy Sayer's books)

I opted to follow tradition and have equal numbers of men and women (counting myself) alternating around the table but I think I could have come up with a very good all-female table ;)

message 8: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments This is a difficult game!

Till now:
1) prince Myshkin from The Idiot
2) Alexei Karamazov from The Brothers Karamazov

If I will remember others I will add them.

message 9: by Hales (new)

Hales | 314 comments Hmmmm I will have to think for a while about this one. I went through a spate of playing this game with my friends but instead of fictional characters we had actual people. I like this version though!

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments I'm still thinking.....

message 11: by Amber (last edited Sep 13, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) It'd be cool to eat with Stephanie Plum and her grandmother because you would never know what would happen next. After that...I don't know. ^_^

message 12: by Alannah (new)

Maggie wrote: "I'm still thinking....."

So am I, haha! All I have is Hermione Granger and Kaitlin Burke (main character in the Secrets of My Hollywood Life series.

message 13: by AmberZehr (last edited Nov 20, 2013 04:00AM) (new)

AmberZehr Weyandt (CheshireBear) 1)Gandalf
2)Sherlock Holmes
3)Jasper Cullen
4)Angela (from the Inheritance Cycle)
5)Acheron (from the Dark Hunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon)
6)Luna Lovegood
7)The Mad Hatter

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Acheron is pretty cool other Amber. I love the darkhunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Amber wrote: "1)Gandalf
2)Sherlock Holmes
3)Jasper Cullen
6)Luna Lovegood
7)The Mad Hatter"

Oh! maybe I should come up with a fantasy-based answer so I can include Gandalf!!

message 16: by AmberZehr (new)

AmberZehr Weyandt (CheshireBear) Leslie wrote: "Amber wrote: "1)Gandalf
2)Sherlock Holmes
3)Jasper Cullen
6)Luna Lovegood
7)The Mad ..."

I chose the people i would want regardless of genre and they just all happened to be fantasy, except for Sherlock Holmes.

message 17: by AmberZehr (new)

AmberZehr Weyandt (CheshireBear) Amber wrote: "Acheron is pretty cool other Amber. I love the darkhunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon."

Yes other other Amber, I love that series too and Acheron is probably by far my favorite :)

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Awesome! ^_^

message 19: by Tweedledum (last edited Jan 25, 2014 12:12PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Hey hello there. Is anyone still playing this game? I have been thinking along these lines for my dinner party.

I think I would like to see some more interplay between characters who have already been a bit sparky with each other and are not too far distant in time from the other dinner guests so here's my selection which should be guaranteed to make some sparks fly

1. Elizabeth Bennett or maybe in her married persona.... Elizabeth Darcy
2. Obadiah Slope (Barchester Towers )
3. Anne of Green gables aged around 15
4. Anne's friend Diana.
5.The bishop's wife from Barchester Towers ...Mrs Proudie
6.Marilla Cuthbert from Anne of Green Gables
7. Lady Catherine de Burgh.

Admittedly it would be hard for me to be seated next to Lady Catherine but I am counting in her ignoring me as being far beneath her and therefore being able to be an observer, apart from some sparkling conversational exchanges with Elizabeth! Of course Slope will be really challenged by being in a room full of women. He won't know which one to try and ingratiate himself with first and Mrs Proudie will be perfectly incandescent.

message 20: by LauraT (last edited Jan 25, 2014 12:48PM) (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13413 comments Mod
What a great table you 've organized! Squeeze me in!!!!
I'd love to see Mrs Proudieand Lady Catherine togethet!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tweedledum wrote: "Hey hello there. Is anyone still playing this game? I have been thinking along these lines for my dinner party.

I think I would like to see some more interplay between characters who have already ..."

LOL!! Marilla would cut Slope down to size pretty sharply! I can see two groups forming: one with Anne, Diana, and Elizabeth, and the other with Slope, Mrs. Proudie, Marilla, and Lady Catherine.

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments Oooh this is a fun game.

I'd invite:

1. Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice)... a popular choice I see
2. Jessica (from Bryce's Courtenay's novel of the same name)
3. Catniss (from The Hunger Games)
4. Oliver Tate (from Submarine) so funny
5. Rob (from High Fidelity).

Interesting. It seems I want to dine with strong-minded women and funny guys haha

message 23: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Where are you all?
Let's have some more dinner party fun...

I'm going for a summer BarBQ and inviting

1. Jane Austen
2. Charlotte Brontë ( who disliked Austen 's books)
3. Elizabeth Gaskell the peace maker who will go between her beloved Charlotte and Austen.
Then I will mix things up a little and add
4. Angela Carter
5. Virginia Woolf
6. Germaine Greer
And finally
7. Isabel Allende

As it's a BarBe they will all have to mingle.... Or maybe won't... And Jane will be able to comment ascerbically on the whole social scene....

message 24: by Bailey (last edited Aug 02, 2014 07:45PM) (new)

Bailey Barbour | 365 comments My list:

1. Bilbo Baggins
2. Katniss Everdeen
3. Eragon
4.Alberto Knox
5. Oliver Hazard-Perry
6. Susan "Stargirl" Caraway
7. Adrian Ivashkov

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 451 comments My 7 characters would be:
1. Catherine from Wuthering Heights
2. Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights
3. Alice from Alice in Wonderland
4. Mrs. Dalloway from Mrs. Dalloway
5. Mrs. Ramsay from To The Lighthouse
6. The Little Prince from The Little Prince
7. Elizabeth from Paperbag Princess

message 26: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments 1. Luna from Harry Potter
2. Jacob from Twilight
3. Leo from Child 44
4. Becky Bloomwood from The Shopaholic Series
5. Mr Bennett from Pride & Prejudice
6. Jacob Jankowski from Water for Elephants
7. Hortense Joseph for Small Island

It seems a few on my list were also on my post in the literary crush thread ;)

message 27: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Sherry wrote: "My 7 characters would be:
1. Catherine from Wuthering Heights
2. Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights
3. Alice from Alice in Wonderland
4. Mrs. Dalloway from Mrs. Dalloway
5. Mrs. Ramsay from To The L..."

Who ah what a collection Sherry. Do you think they will all end up loving or hating each other by the end of the evening?

message 28: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Gemma wrote: "1. Luna from Harry Potter
2. Jacob from Twilight
3. Leo from Child 44
4. Becky Bloomwood from The Shopaholic Series
5. Mr Bennett from Pride & Prejudice
6. Jacob Jankowski from Water for Elephant..."

Are these all rather impractical characters? I only know Luna and Mr Bennett. They seem unlikely bedfellows.

message 29: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments I just chose my favourite characters from my favourite books, maybe I mis understood the game.

message 30: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments I'm sure it's ok to choose your favourite characters and have them round for dinner! But it's also fun to try and imagine how they might interact with each other. Would that change your choice of guests or not do you think?

message 31: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments No, I think they would interact well.
Becky Bloomwood has a similar personality to mrs Bennett, scatty and manic so Mr Bennett would get on with her. Leo is a Russian agent, so trained in charisma and would have great conversation. Jacob Jankowski is an old man with lots of fascinating stories, twilight Jacob could sit next to me :)

message 32: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Aha a cunning plan.

message 33: by Bailey (new)

Bailey Barbour | 365 comments Hmmm when I put my characters together, I was just choosing my favorites as well. But Bilbo would be sitting next to me, talking about all his adventures. Katniss and Eragon would be sitting next to each other, talking about being the symbols of a rebellion and war. I don't really know why, but I could just kinda see Alberto giving Oliver a philosophy lesson and he sit there and listen. Or Alberto could try and teach to me from the other side of the table. I'd definitely listen. Stargirl and Adrian I would imagine having some free-spirit, whimsical conversation together. Plus Adrian would get to sit next to me lol :D

message 34: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Wouldn't it be good to be able to make drawings or mock up a photo of everybody's dinner guests together. Oh how I wish I could draw!

message 35: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 03, 2014 12:37AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments That makes me think.... How about a sleuths night....
I think I will have

Sherlock.... Of course
Miss Marple
Morse
Maigret
Poirot (to talk with Maigret about European affairs)
Renko (poor man he needs a respite from bring constantly attacked, beaten up, drugged etc)
And
Zen the strong silent one....
Or wait..... Should it be
Father Brown? ..... Well maybe he can turn up unexpectedly and soothe everybody whose feathers have been ruffled.

In fact I think I might just sit these 8 down at table and wait on them not actually sit at the table at all but eavesdrop on all their cryptic conversations.

message 36: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Of course there will have to be a murder to focus their joint attentions. Maybe it will be like that Father Brown case where a body of somebody famous is discovered in the garden of the house where he is dining.

Oh now I want Peter Wimsey but surely that will be overkill....pardon the pun....and if Wimsey came Bunter would have to put in an appearance too...

No Wimsey cannot join in...

message 37: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2690 comments 1) Dumbledore
2) Gandalf
3) Sherlock Holmes
4) Poirot
5) Miss Marple
6) Tyrion Lannister
7) Hannibal Lecter, but I wouldn't let him cook the food. He's there because he's fascinating.

message 38: by Tweedledum (last edited Sep 01, 2014 01:39AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Interesting choices Charbel... But wouldn't you be rather sacred of having Hannibal Lector round to dinner?

message 39: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments How about a group of parents and guardians... These folks are never the hero or heroine but after all without them where would our heros and heroines be.

I will invite

1. Marilla Cuthbert (who has adopted Anne of Green Gables
2. Colin's father from The Secret Garden
3 and 4 Hermione's parents once they have had their memories restored and have returned from Australia. (Harry Potter)
5. Tom Sawyer's aunt.
6. Gepetto
7. Heidi's grandfather

I have chosen parents / guardians who all struggled with their children's behaviour and/ or were mystified by it and often in ignorance about it but who ultimately have had cause to change their views from frustration and even despair to admiration and love for their challenging children. Perhaps Hermione's parents are the exception since they seem to have been solidly behind her but how must they have felt about having their identities changed and the memories modified?!

message 40: by Charbel (last edited Sep 01, 2014 02:09AM) (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2690 comments Tweedledum wrote: "Interesting choices Charbel... But wouldn't you be rather sacred of having Hannibal Lector round to dinner?"

He would be restrained in the most secure methods. I would take every measure to make sure that he would eat the food and not the guests.

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tweedledum wrote: "How about a group of parents and guardians... These folks are never the hero or heroine but after all without them where would our heros and heroines be.

I will invite

1. Marilla Cuthbert (who..."

What a nice idea!

@Charbel -- LOL!!

message 42: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Charbel wrote: "Tweedledum wrote: "Interesting choices Charbel... But wouldn't you be rather sacred of having Hannibal Lector round to dinner?"

He would be restrained in the most secure methods. I would take ever..."

Very relieved to hear this!

message 43: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
@Tweedledum, Miss Marple is a good choice. I'd love to have her to dinner!

@Charbel, at least Gandalf could help keep Hannibal in line if it came down to it. ;)

message 44: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Last day of frivolity.....term begins tomorrow....

I want to hold a reunion dinner for :
Miss Spider
Mr Grasshopper
Earthworm
Mr Centipede
Gloworm
Mrs Ladybug
And
James

Peaches of course will feature in every course.

Since many years have passed since the travellers first met for their epic journey they will have many tales to tell of their later adventures as well as reminiscing. I imagine Earthworm, for example has been helping out here and there with underground projects while Miss Ladybug has doubtless been the proverbial fly on the wall at many a "secret" meeting.

As Spiker and Sponge were thoroughly disposed of at the start of the big adventure there should be no one likely to spoil the party.

Unless an old man with magic beans turns up....

message 45: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments I might need to write out a menu!

Then cook something from it...

message 46: by Tweedledum (last edited Mar 12, 2016 12:01AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments I feel a dinner party coming on . It's been 18 months since the last one! That's waaaaaay too long!

I think i might invite some semi- mythical but loquacious beings, some of whom have already achieved mythological status, some who have borrowed it from others, and some who are heading that way.

1. The green dragon from Green Smoke by Rosemary Manning
2. The psammyad from Five Children and It
3. The selfish giant from The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde ( after his reformation)

In fact he can host this event....

4. Reepicheep from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
5. Treebeard from The Lord of the Rings
6. Captain Holly Short from Artemis Fowl
7. Merlin from The Sword in the Stone though other incarnations of Merlin might be OK as well.

So... I will invite myself to this illustrious gathering and sit and listen to the tall tales.... Perhaps Reepicheep and Holly Short might talk to me sometimes...

For those who don't know
Reepicheep is a talking mouse about the size of a cat
Holly Short is a technologically advanced leprechaun who is an expert in computing.... And fighting.... And fairy skills

message 47: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 06, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments It's the summer ... Time for a dinner party ... A barbecue perhaps....

I will ask Sidney Chambers to summon some clerical peers :

Father Brown
Don Camillo
Edward Casubon (Middlemarch)
Archdeacon Grantley ( Barchester Chronicles)
Mr Collins ( Pride and Prejuduce)
Rev Hubert Leebody ( Midwich Cuckoos)

This is going to be a great mix of wisdom and stupidity, humility and pomposity. I shall enjoy the show while dishing out the hotdogs and feigning ignorance!

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tweedledum wrote: "It's the summer ... Time for a dinner party ... A barbecue perhaps....

I will ask Sidney Chambers to summon some clerical peers :

Father Brown
Don Camillo
Edward Casubon (Middlemarch)
Archdeac..."

I like your theme. I might substitue Rabbi Small (from Harry Kemelman's series) to replace Mr. Collins though!

message 49: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Ah I don't know Rabbi Small. I shall have to look him up.

message 50: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Inspired by the recent movie :How about a giant gathering
(of friendly Giants)

The BFG
Giant Wimbleweather ( The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)
Hagrid and his brother Grawp
The Selfish Giant
The Smartest Giant ( Julia Donaldson)

6 giants is quite enough for anyone... It's a buffet lunch and I shall keep out of the way... Maybe watch from the attic!

« previous 1