Science and Inquiry discussion

Book Club 2010 & Prior > Death by Black Hole

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) Death by Black Hole And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson is the winning book for June.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments This one sounds really interesting.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 39 comments I'm fifty pages into it. Tyson is great! He's like Carl Sagan with a sense of humor. I'm truly enjoying it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments Looks interesting.

I always enjoy him when he's on TV.

message 5: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 10 comments I look forward to reading it.

message 6: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane Finally found to copy of this to borrow from a friend. Yay.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 5 comments Tyson used to have a column in the American Museum of Natural History's magazine, which was great. Looking forward to reading this.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 39 comments Finished last night. Excellent book! Tyson is now on my list of favorite science authors.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. (salvatrice) I know this book was previously chosen for book club, so please bear with those of us who are reading it now...also, if you didn't get a chance to finish it before or wished to discuss it further, the coming weeks are a great chance to jump into discussions. thanks!

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyil) | 19 comments I am glad you got this group started again. I enjoyed some of the books it introduced me to before.

message 11: by S. (last edited Jan 30, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

S. (salvatrice) Jenny wrote: "I am glad you got this group started again. I enjoyed some of the books it introduced me to before. "

thanks Jenny. I think we will be starting a new book again in March; I'll run a poll closer to that time to see what people are interested in reading. For myself, I tend to alternate between science and theology so I may not read every book we do as a group, but I will still get things set up if people tell me what they want.

message 12: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 918 comments Mod
I just finished reading "Death by Black Hole". To be honest, the first third of this book was somewhat boring to me. As a scientist, I wasn't really learning anything from the book. But I was struck by how marvelously entertaining Tyson's writing is. As the book progressed, I was fascinated by some of Tyson's viewpoints. His chapter on movie mistakes was hilarious. Well worth the read!

message 13: by S. (last edited Feb 02, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

S. (salvatrice) David wrote: "I just finished reading "Death by Black Hole". To be honest, the first third of this book was somewhat boring to me. As a scientist, I wasn't really learning anything from the book. But I was st..."

You are way ahead of me...but I'm working my way through it--my love of reading is a little inhibited by the fact that I read kind of slowly. I am enjoying Tyson's writing syle. It's a little cheezy at times, but in a way that makes me smile rather than groan. After your comment I couldn't help but sneak a peek at some of the end chapters (a major crime in my world); I'm intruiged, but I've still got about a half to go.

message 14: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 136 comments Being based on his columns, this book seems a bit disjointed. What I want to know is what happens when a small black hole meets a more massive "normal" object? Does the more massive object have the power to pull material out of a hole?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments Is it possible for a black hole to meet a more massive object that is not another black hole?

message 16: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 136 comments Susanna wrote: "Is it possible for a black hole to meet a more massive object that is not another black hole?" According to the book, stellar masses range from 0.1 solar to about 100 solar. And, Tyson mentions a common black hole with a mass of about 2 solar masses. So there is a small range where "normal" objects are more massive than black holes.

message 17: by S. (new)

S. (salvatrice) This interview came up in a google search and I just meant to watch a minute or two to get a sense of the author, but he was so funny I ended up watching the whole thing and thought I'd share.

http://fora.tv/2008/02/19/Neil_DeGras...