Dystopia Land discussion

Buddy Reads and Book Discussions > Love Among the Ruins

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Angry Lawn Gnome (last edited Aug 21, 2013 03:04PM) (new)

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Love Among The Ruins, by
Evelyn Waugh.

I'm mulling a re-read of this one, since I've honestly got no clear memory of it, other than that the main female character had a plastic face and a beard and that the book itself was quite short, more novella than novel. Possibly it was also written as a satire of the British welfare state of the early 1950s, though I think I had to look between the lines to pick that part up.

Curiously, I think GR has also truncated the title, but perhaps my memory has failed me there also?

Thoughts, comments desired, in the sense that "Yes, this is worth looking up," or "No, this is one to stay away from."

Radically different -- to put it mildly! -- from the author's other works, like Brideshead Revisited, A Handful of Dust, etc., that much I clearly remember.

message 2: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 1215 comments Mod
I have never heard of this book before. I will check it out as soon as I can. Love short books. I am actually listening to The Machine Stops and I can now say it is a dystopian book and amazingly contemporary for something written a century ago.

P.S. I've checked out the book and you are right. The information is wrong. I updated it and added the alternative hardcovers.

message 3: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 36 comments I've never read it, but it sounds interesting. I have to look it up. I have read a few of Evelyn Waughs books, I think The Loved One was pretty good, but it's been a long time since I read it. Didn't know he had written a dystopian novel or novella.