What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > WWII Japanese Internment Camps in the U.S

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Could anyone suggest good memoir or history book about concentration camps in the USA for the Japanese Americans?

message 3: by Kaion (last edited Aug 23, 2013 01:07PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments I really enjoyed Citizen 13660, which is an illustrative narrative (what we might call a graphic novel today) that I believe was the first published first-person account of the Japanese-American internment camps.

Though No-No Boy takes place outside the camps, the internment is the major spectre in the story, which focuses on Japanese-Americans struggling to re-adjust after the war.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thank you, Lou and Kaion!

message 5: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 710 comments I second Citizen 13660. I'd also recommend Obasan -- Canadian, not American, but same idea.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Liralen wrote: "I second Citizen 13660. I'd also recommend Obasan -- Canadian, not American, but same idea."

Thanks, Obasan looks awesome. :)

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Thanks

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (celticoracle) | 27 comments Also in the Canadian internment camps category - Wild Daisies In The Sand: Life In A Canadian Internment Camp

message 11: by Kaion (last edited Sep 16, 2013 08:14PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments It may be hard to find, but Poston: Camp II, Block 211: Daily Life in an Internment Camp is a very interesting primary source-- it consists of funny little comic strips the author drew while in Poston as a young man.