Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for a gritty UF book with Half Human characters

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Drew (new)

Drew Teter | 3 comments Ideally The book would include a half human protagonist (Shape shifters includes) with abilities relating to the non human half. IE half-dragon, half-demon, or other supernatural ancestry.

I'm trying to avoid the romance genre. I'm not really against it but I like books with a strong narrative and engaging characters, which romance novels often lack when done poorly.

Books I like include: Nightlife Sweet Blood of Mine Crimes Against Magic Storm FrontImmortal Coil

message 2: by carol. (new)

carol. Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is great and fits your requirements in an unusual way. Some romance, not a lot and not the primary focus.Skinwalker

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Leffel (FB-AvidReader) | 28 comments sandman slim
demon accord
and maybe zero site

did you read born of hate it is the sequel to crimes against magic, it was awesome, but a different feel from the first book.

message 4: by Drew (new)

Drew Teter | 3 comments Michael wrote: "sandman slim
demon accord
and maybe zero site

did you read born of hate it is the sequel to crimes against magic, it was awesome, but a different feel from the first book."

I've read all the books in the series I've listed, also zero sight (one of my favorites) and demon accord.
But I'll give Sandman Slim a look, Thanks!

message 5: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 4 comments +1 for Sandman Slim, it's one of my all time favorite series.

message 6: by Carly (new)

Carly (dawnsio_ar_y_dibyn) | 29 comments Sleight of Hand: half-vampire.

A Madness of Angels: I can't really tell you what the protag is without spoilers, but it actually isn't a harp-toting celestial host. He might also be slightly less than half human.

Magic Bites: Half powerfully magical being. The book is more on the PNR side, but also with great worldbuilding and plenty of action scenes, and seems to share fan demographics with the Dresden Files.

Rosemary and Rue: may not be what you're looking for in terms of tone--it's not really hardboiled and has some romance overtones, but the protag is a changeling (half human, half faerie.)

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Leffel (FB-AvidReader) | 28 comments Also "Sixty-One Nails" is a good one (had the deal of a Neil Gaiman book).

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Try Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow . You've never read a werewolf novel like this.
It's written in verse. One of the main characters is a lawyer, others in his pack are professional bridge players.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Leffel (FB-AvidReader) | 28 comments sharp teeth was a great read, but did it have a half human, or do you consider weres chalk humans.

I guess they could be, but then you would get in to vamps too...

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments The beings in Sharp Teeth, whether humans, weres or others were very human.

message 11: by Kurt (new)

Kurt | 1 comments Dark Descendant is one where the main characters are the descendants of the gods of mythology and humans
Dark Currents has a half-incubi as the main character
Imperium This one's main character is the child of Janus, the roman god of doors and a human woman

That's all I can think of that haven't already been mentioned

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments Night Huntress is a great read and the main female character is half vampire half human in the beginning . But I agree with the Jane Yellowrock series (Skinwalker), on the 6th book currently and I am absolutely in love! Also try the Dorina Basabarb(probably spelt wrong) by Karen Chance. She's also half human and half vampire and I am completely in love with that series also. All 3 series are a must read! And by the way skinwalker might be slow in the beginning but trust me the series literary gets better with each book.

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kmmscorpio12) | 3 comments The Lux Series by Jennifer Armentrout are ahhhhmazing; must read!

message 15: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix is very gritty. The main heroine is just human, but the hero is part vampire part fallen angel. There's scene that make me almost gag when read it