Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Irish Quarterly Movie Nomin... > September Irish Movie Nominations 2013

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the nominations thread for our September monthly movie of 2013.

Nominations are open to movies set in Ireland, that have Irish lead characters or involve issues directly concerning Irish people/people of Irish lineage. As usual there is only one nomination per member.

This thread will remain open until midnight of August 25, Irish time, after which the poll will be assembled for voting to begin.

Declan. :)

message 2: by Autilian (last edited Aug 21, 2013 02:01PM) (new)

Autilian I'm going to nominate "The Secret of Kells".

Its an animated movie by Irish animation studio Cartoon Saloon, I somehow haven't gotten around to watching it yet even though I love animation so this would give me even more reason to get around to it.

Video here

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Sullivan | 280 comments I'm nominating 'The Last of the High Kings' - A movie from the lates nineties about an Irish seaside town in the seventies. Deals with an irish boy's first love, Elvis, Thin Lizzy and so on. Very good cast if I recall including Colm Meaney, Gabriel Byrne and a few other Irish faces.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie | 81 comments Autilian, I enjoyed "The Secret of Kells." Even if it isn't this month's movie choice, I encourage you to make sure you see it soon. :)

message 5: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) Can I nominate Waking Ned, I think it came second for august, if it doesn't win this month I wont nom it again promise :-)

message 6: by Autilian (new)

Autilian Annie wrote: "Autilian, I enjoyed "The Secret of Kells." Even if it isn't this month's movie choice, I encourage you to make sure you see it soon. :)"

Now that I have remembered the movie again I will probably watch it very soon so hopefully it wins and other people will be watching it also. It also helps that it's on netflix.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I'm showing Secret of Kells in my class in 2 weeks:)

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
FYI: In the U.S. The Last of the High Kings appears to have been released under the title Summer Fling. It is available from Netflix as a DVD but not on Netflix Instant. It also appears that you can find it on Amazon Marketplace for about $5 to $7 (and possibly in other places online).

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I-like-to-read wrote: "Can I nominate Waking Ned, I think it came second for august, if it doesn't win this month I wont nom it again promise :-)"

I like this idea and also the Secret of Kells so I I holding off nominating anything.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread has been closed to new comments and the poll will follow shortly.

Thank you all for your nominations and input.

Declan. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.