J.D. Robb discussion

Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
This topic is about Immortal in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Immortal In Death (Aug/Sept 2013) SPOILER ZONE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 278 (278 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10389 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Immortal In Death starting around the last week in August, 2013. Many of us have decided to take a slow stroll back through the series. We all have other books to read, so no hurry. Please join us if you want to do a reread, are new to the series, or just want to jump in our discussions. We are having a blast!

Please note: Spoiler Alert...we will be openly discussing this book.

Michelle | 2332 comments Can't wait!!!

Then we'll get started...I plan on starting the first of next week.

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) I had read it for.. um 3-4 times! So, I will jump to the discussion :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I was just having to restrain myself from starting and getting ahead of the class :O. Now I can start with a clear mind.

Kate (kate-db) | 76 comments I have only read it a month or so ago but I think I might read it again... As I have read 9 books from the series in a month, things are a bit mixed up for me! Not that it's such a drag to re-read... ;)

Lol...I think most of us have read it at least 3 times...I don't know why I never get tired of reading these books over & over. I really don't & I enjoy them every single time. And it's really been great hearing everyone's POV and discussing it. Loving it!

Susan I should be able to start it by then...or shortly after.

Good, Susan...as always, No Rush. Going slow & picking out the small details has greatly enhanced these BR's, I think. We all have other commitments so taking it slow enables more members to participate, I believe.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Loving the shopping scene with Mavis and her new squeeze. It's so fun to see how well Mavis reads her.

Carmel | 11 comments I will be joining in as well. This is my first buddy read. Excited to re read and finally have someone to discuss this great series with.

Yea...thanks for joining in! I feel the same way...I am so enjoying discussing this series with y'all!

message 13: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana (danabritt) Same here, so much fun!

Quynh | 1269 comments I love the discussions here. I may not be reading along since I've read the first 10 books several times now and I know it almost by heart. It's still fun to join in on the fun with all of you!

It's really nice having a lot of people who have read the series before discussing it with a few first time readers...just awesome discussions.

message 16: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana (danabritt) This is my first reread of the books and it is so, SO good!

Agreed...and we have a nice, long journey to travel through them all (plus we have a new one coming out soon!!)

Michelle | 2332 comments “When a man is clever enough and knows his quarry well enough to choose such a time and place to propose marriage, well, a woman was a goner.
At least a woman like Eve Dallas”

That so perfectly ties in with the end of our GiD discussion !

And I'm off on a snail pace .
Happy re read Õ.õ

Lol..Good Morning Michelle. That is a perfect tie in with the end of Glory!

Hey Y'all! I'm missing Roarke so I'm thinking I may start Immortal tomorrow! Looking forward to discussing it with you~

Julia (juliace) Count me in ....

Thanks, Julia...glad you'll join in. I wish I could figure out a way to get more reading time. I have so many books I want to read right now & am having a hard time getting to them all. Roarke is at the top of the list, of course. I can't leave him alone for too long!

I got started rereading Immortal today. Jeez, I'm blown away by how much I love reading these books yet again. The first few pages have me laughing out loud at the banter between Roarke & Eve...his amusement at her when she tells him she's shopping for a wedding dress today and then her amusement at him when he realizes she's going with Mavis to a friend of hers...he's thinking what the dress might look like! Again, it just blows me away how good and well written these books are.

Quynh | 1269 comments I love that Eve was adamant in finding and paying for her own wedding dress. :)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13375 comments Mod
Why do you think that was so important to her?

Quynh | 1269 comments Well, for any bride-to-be, if their fiancé wants to pay for their wedding dress, they rarely say no. They'll spend whatever limit to find that perfect dress. For Eve though, it's her way of saying, 'no I'm not marrying you for your money' to Roarke. I'm sure Roarke wouldn't care whose money she spend, but it's important to Eve. Also, the groom shouldn't pick out the dress or see the dress before the wedding if Roarke wanted to help her! Which was why she didn't want to use some program to get the dress.

Thanks for that point if view, Quynh. I thought it was something like this but wasn't really clear.

Quynh | 1269 comments I think that's a major concern for Eve, she doesn't want Roarke (not that he does) or outsiders to think she hooked him for his money. She can enjoy all the food, deal with socializing at parties (such a hardship huh?), but when it comes to money, she likes to use her own and stands her ground in that area with Roarke. The money things comes up again in later books so we shall see once we get there!

I remember Leonardo stressing over how he was going to produce that dress with Eve's budget. But, she was determined to have it.

I found it interesting that white wedding dresses seem to be outdated.

Quynh | 1269 comments Maybe people lose traditions over time in the future. Didn't Roarke insist on having actual rings on their fingers, which wasn't that common anymore in 2058 for married couples.

I think so!

Quynh | 1269 comments I love the introduction of Leonardo, such a big man, but such a teddy bear.

The whole escapade getting to his studio was a riot. And then the encounter with Pandora...naked Eve in the middle.

Quynh | 1269 comments Yes! Only Eve would find herself in that situation. And then her no nonsense way of dealing with a crazy, out of control female. Knocking Pandora out. LOL.

Loved it! Poor Mavis.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that if anything, Roarke's money is a major drawback and maybe plays into Eve's insecurity. Between his looks, which she doesn't think she compares, and his money, which if anything makes her downright uncomfortable, he's not the "ideal" catch for her. She is fond of the coffee though.

Quynh | 1269 comments I do love Mavis in this book! So vulnerable yet so trusting in Eve to help clear her name. You can definitely see the strength in their friendship.

Quynh | 1269 comments Beth wrote: "I agree that if anything, Roarke's money is a major drawback and maybe plays into Eve's insecurity. Between his looks, which she doesn't think she compares, and his money, which if anything makes ..."

I don't think Eve planned to catch Roarke. She certainly didn't plan falling in love with him. Remember, she didn't really have a type in men so she wouldn't have an ideal man in mind. When she had sex, it was for a quick release. She didn't expect the reaction and intensity with Roarke. I don't think the money is part of her insecurity, she didn't/doesn't want anything to do with his money. It makes her uncomfortable for sure, but it wasn't the make it or break it part of their relationship.

Michelle | 2332 comments All true Quynh. I also think that the reason Eve has to / wants to pay for the dress is because she want to go into their marriage as an equal partner . She is also contributing not just taking and relying on Roarke's big vault of money. Yes to all the above mentioned; she not marrying him for his money etc but they are both uncertain of this marriage thing. Eve tell Roarke she's still going through with it , Roarke say he know she will but in his mind unsure. Also Eve still doesn't know why Roarke is with her and could contribute to her mindset . So the money issue is really a big statement on many fronts.

Michelle | 2332 comments Quynh wrote: "Yes! Only Eve would find herself in that situation. And then her no nonsense way of dealing with a crazy, out of control female. Knocking Pandora out. LOL."

That what you get for messing with Dallas . Lol

I agree that Eve needed to buy her own wedding dress in order to go into the partnership of marriage as an equal...so Roarke, as well as others, knew without a doubt that she was not marrying him for money. I think Roarke knew that anyway but Eve needed to make that statement. I loved the scene where Leonardo first sat down at the computer to design Eve's dress with her standing there & the first one he showed her was an outrageous dress...then he laughed saying This one is not for you! He was just messing with Eve. So funny!

message 42: by Sandra (last edited Aug 27, 2013 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

There's another reference to money when Eve goes to Roarke's house to arrest Mavis & is talking to Roarke...This is so very telling of how Eve has accepted Roarke's feelings & understands that he will do anything for her.

..Roarke, I hate to ask you--"

You don't have to. I've already contacted the best criminal defense team in the country."

"I can't pay you back for that."

"Eve--"

"I don't mean the money." She took a shuddering breath and gripped both of his hands. "You don't really know her, but you believe in her because I do. That's what I can't pay you back for.

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Aug 28, 2013 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2332 comments Sorry ladies I'm taking this so slow but work is intruding into my reading time ;-) and I have the next few days off !!!! Yippee
I loved that seen with Leo and Eve!! But I'm also loving the depth of Eve and Mavis' friendship. It's shows the other dimension that Is Eve . And that ice cream appears through out the series ( I know don't jump ahead but it's one of those small things that is so lovely to see doesn't change in the future. Know what I mean? )

Yea, Michelle...a few days off is a good thing! I loved the scene with Leonardo & Eve too...thought it was so funny the way he was teasing her about the dress. There are several scenes in this book that are subtly humorous...especially between Eve & Roarke. Their banter is so much fun to read.

message 45: by Michelle (last edited Aug 28, 2013 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 2332 comments In and among all of that is the intensity of the case! Up to now I've been listening to IiD while driving. The whole scene with Mavis in the interrogation room had me driving faster! I would not have been able to do what Eve did. I know the reasons but it takes a strong person to do that!

Yes it does...and this book is the first time I got upset with Summerset. Y'all know I like him and his banter with Eve. But when Eve came home to Roarke's after her hell of a day with arresting Mavis and all, Summerset was mean to her & accused her of being heartless and not caring, etc. I didn't like him much in that scene.

Quynh | 1269 comments Considering how Summerset took to Mavis in Glory, I think he felt more protective of her. He already has a distrust in cops, so seeing Eve putting her best friend in jail made him see red. I wasn't very friendly toward him in that scene either. He redeemed himself a little when Eve had that nightmare of her childhood.

Yes, he did. And I'm a fan of Summerset but that scene where he lashed out at Eve made me a bit upset with him. Of course, he didn't know the full story & what Eve was trying to do for Mavis. But he should have!!

It was an awful moment for Eve, making a terrible situation even more difficult. In defense of Summerset (like he needs one), this was one more example of his loyalty to friends and people he says he cares about. He would have handled this differently but then he operates on the other side of the law.

Poor Roarke...he couldn't win, here.

Quynh | 1269 comments This is a first of many where Roarke will be caught between the two people he love.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6