Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) Blood Song discussion

Few Questions about the ending! (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marina Z. Hi everyone! I read the book and absolutely loved it, but after sleeping on it, I would like to get a clearer picture of what was going on, hence a few questions.
1. When they came to Vaelin in the end, with "Royal Order" that was narrated by Princess Lyrna, he asked if Lord Velsus ever played Keschet. What was Princess Lyrna's move in this?
1.5. Did she make the King sick so he would die?
2. When Vaelin arrived to face The Shield, it was stated that he would be facing him because he killed Hope, so why then that when the fight took place, did they make it seem that he was facing this because his father burned the city?
3. Why was Lady Emeren "captured" in that city and was free to go only after the fight took place?
4. Last chapter, when the author starts off with "In the palace far north a young woman composed a greeting" That's Princess Lyrna right? Because originally I thought it was his little sister. and then "on the west, another young woman gazed at a broad ocean" is Sister Sherin BUT then "Aboard another ship sailing another ocean, a young man sat" Who is that man?? Whom did Vaelin say "I will find you, brother"? Was it Faetis?

Really appreciate any feedback!

Scohook I can only answer Question 2 and 3. It has been a while since I read the book and I don’t remember the other details.
Lady Emeren and the Pirates both wanted Vaelin dead. The Pirates because of the things his father did, the Lady because he killed the hope. Both had a problem though, the Emperor didn’t execute him. I am not sure if his sentence was even mentioned.
The Lady arranged to get her ship captured by the pirates. At some earlier conversation between Vaelin and the Historian it was stated that the ship of the Lady was captured on a position where imperial ships usually don’t sail and only the Lady was taken hostage, the ship and the cargo was spared. The Lady arranged to get captured and then to be exchange for Vaelin to get revenge.
Officially the Pirates took the Lady hostage and exchanged her for Vaelin to execute him in a duel. Officially Vaelin would be killed for the deeds of his father and this is the story told to the general public.
In reality the Lady and the Pirates planned all this together to get Vaelin killed. Both have their own motives but in the end it was the Lady who made Vaelins duel possible and killing the Hope is the real reason why he is in the duel.

Marina Z. Scohook wrote: "I can only answer Question 2 and 3. It has been a while since I read the book and I don’t remember the other details.
Lady Emeren and the Pirates both wanted Vaelin dead. The Pirates because of the..."

Now I get it. Thank you so much!

Gabriel Valdeleon Marina wrote: "'Aboard another ship sailing another ocean, a young man sat' Who is that man?? Whom did Vaelin say "I will find you, brother"? Was it Faetis?"

While Frentis was not mentioned by name at this portion of the book, I feel that the following quote sufficiently IDs the character as Frentis: "...within his shirt the scars on his chest burned with a continual fierce agony." (Think back to when Frentis was captured by the One-Eyed Man and he taunted Vaelin by tracing another scar into Frentis' chest)

The plot for the next book may begin with Vaelin trying to track down Frentis...

Marina Z. Gabriel wrote: "Marina wrote: "'Aboard another ship sailing another ocean, a young man sat' Who is that man?? Whom did Vaelin say "I will find you, brother"? Was it Faetis?"

While Frentis was not mentioned by nam..."

YES!! you're so right about the scars on the chest. Thank you for clarifying that.

message 6: by Kira (last edited Oct 17, 2013 10:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kira Marina wrote: 1. When they came to Vaelin in the end, with "Royal Order" that was narrated by Princess Lyrna, he asked if Lord Velsus ever played Keschet. What was Princess Lyrna's move in this?
1.5. Did she make the King sick so he would die?

Princess Lyrna's motive? To outwit and gauge Velus' ability/intelligence. She wanted to rule the kingdom and for her, only Vaelin can match her shrewdness and unconsciously she thinks that if they ruled together, they'll be unbeatable. And No, she didn't made the king sick, I think it was mentioned that it was due to old age(?)

I think everyone has answered your question.

Can't wait for the next book. Twas a good read.

Johnny Yes, it is Lyrna, she is writing a formal greeting to her returning brother (the prince), who will obviously rule in their father's place. She might be crying because she loves Vaelin and knows the price he just paid?

Christopher 1.5/4- I think the King was legitimately sick and dying and unable to rule at that time. Princess Lyrna was ruling via proxy by delivering the King's "orders" from his deathbed. She was the one who negotiated the treaty to end the war, but she had to sacrifice Vaelin in order to create peace. This is the reason she was crying.