Christian Readers discussion

The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4
This topic is about The Legends of the Jews, Volume 4
Jewish Books and Legends

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (goodreadscommysaggingshelves) | 71 comments Last winter I took a class on Milton's "Paradise TLost" for my enjoyment. We had such wonderful discussions that I rarely participated in because I felt that I couldn't support my theories. So I am remedying that by reading, "The Legends of the Jews," an 8 volume set of books with approximately 400 pages each (just a little light reading before bed). I am in the first volume and am having trouble keeping all the terms straight. Midrash, Mishnah, Haggadah, Talmud, Halakha, Torah, Gemara.....

Midrash is how the Jewish rabbis interpret passages in the Torah (Torah I get- it is the first 5 books of our Bible). The Haggadah is the instruction book for the Sedar. Now the Talmud, as I understand it, consists of the Mishnah (Oral Law) and the Gemara [a rabbinical analysis and interpretation of the Mishnah (whch itself is an interpretation!)] and the books of the prophets. And the Halakha is the collection of religious laws for Jews, including biblical, talmudic, rabbinical laws, plus customs and traditions. And the Halakha is different among the Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Sephardi, and Yemenite Jews. Are we are clear on this????? Clear as mud.

Is the Midrash and the Mishnah the same thing? Or are they different? How? Anyone have any good ideas or books that could shed light on this subject that they have read?

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle That is a huge thing to tackle.

I'm reading two books by Michael Brown that are much easier to digest:

60 Questions Christians Ask About Jewish Beliefs And Practices.

And:

Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus (vol. 4)

THese books are deep but FUN.