Christian Goodreaders discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Grier | 3 comments Hi Everyone - my name is Joe Grier. I'm on the pastoral staff at Celebration Church in Green Bay, WI and love reading Christian non-fiction/devotional and mostly non-Christian mystery/suspense. I recently published a book on Smashwords.com entitled "In Your Wildest ..." which will be released on Sept. 2. My wife and I started out in ministry in the Jesus People movement born in the 'Sixties, traveled all over the world as missionaries. The book is an account of the years in our crazy lives between 1970-1980. It was great fun writing it and a good introduction into the large amount of work involved in writing and publishing a book.

I'm excited to read your reviews and to hear about authors you are currently reading. I'm open to doing reviews as well, time permitting. Question - if I want to review an author's book, do I need to pay for it or is there a way for the author to send me a copy of the book gratis?

I'm 62 years old, live on Appleton, WI with Gayle. We have three kids and one grandson. I also play guitar and am currently playing as a duo with a buddy of mine - blues, mostly.

My favorite authors are Dallas Willard, John Connelly, Ian Rankin, Erwin McManus, Michael Connolly, Dennis Lehane. Favorite musicians: Jeff Beck, Albert Collins, Bruce Hornsby, The Band, Joe Cocker, Ry Cooder, Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Leon Russell.

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1907 comments Joe, to answer your question, some authors are willing to provide other Goodreaders (especially if they're in each other's friend circles) with free review copies of their books. I've never asked for one, since I figure that's like asking a grocer for free food; but some authors, or publishers, will sometimes offer one to you, if you have reviewed similar books favorably before and have a fair number of friends/followers who read your reviews. (They're more apt to offer an e-copy than a paper one, since in the former case there's no postage cost involved.)

In the pull-down menu on the Goodreads toolbar at the top of this page, next to "Explore," there's a link for "giveaways." These are contests run by publishers, where you can enter to have a chance at being randomly chosen for a free copy of a particular book (these are usually newly published books). Also, some authors will sometimes offer some of their work (again, usually relatively new) for free for a limited time, and announce it in some of the groups they belong to.

Hope that helps! Welcome to our group, and best wishes in your pastoral and writing ministries.

message 3: by Patricia (last edited Aug 24, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Patricia Kirk | 66 comments Joe wrote: "Hi Everyone - my name is Joe Grier. I'm on the pastoral staff at Celebration Church in Green Bay, WI and love reading Christian non-fiction/devotional and mostly non-Christian mystery/suspense. I..."Writers or publishers provide the reviewer with books at no charge. Once writers discover you will do reviews they approach you and are happy to provide the book. Since a reviewer cannot ethically charge, the book is your pay. You do a favor to the author when you review because you provide him or her with additional publicity.

I do reviews at Christians Read: Books Reviews and I ask for paper books to be donated to my church library. But more and more, people ask to send ebooks. My reviews go on Goodreads, Barnes & Noble,Christianbook.com, Library Thing, etc. so you see how much publicity it adds.

I won't buy a book (or anything else online) until I read the reviews. Many people feel that way. I'm a little picky about what books I will accept because I won't accept a book I can't give at least a three rating.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Grier | 3 comments Werner wrote: "Joe, to answer your question, some authors are willing to provide other Goodreaders (especially if they're in each other's friend circles) with free review copies of their books. I've never asked ..."

Werner, thank you for your reply. I'll keep an eye open for new books/authors. Don't mind paying but just needed to know the protocol.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Grier | 3 comments Pat W. wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hi Everyone - my name is Joe Grier. I'm on the pastoral staff at Celebration Church in Green Bay, WI and love reading Christian non-fiction/devotional and mostly non-Christian mystery/..."

Thank you, Pat. I'm looking forward to discovering new authors and books.