Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret discussion

what the heck!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Daigle what i don't get is why they say all that stuff in a 6th graders book I'm mean playboy and naked boys that a defined NO!

message 2: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia That is true, but it's also true that kids and pre-teens/teenagers are becoming more and more exposed to these kinds of material earlier and earlier on.

Kathryne Kole This book was talking about how that's not appropriate for kids of that age (my age) and how, even though it happens anyway, kids shouldn't be doing things like that. Margaret got stuck with a group of girls who just needed some guidance, but they didn't get it like she did.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Oh trust me, it's normal for that to happen. Judy Blumes likes to stick to accuracy in our world when writing these.

Emma its just part of the weird world we live in.

Jenna This book dissapointed me. It is in my school library where 1st graders can access it. I brought it to my librarian but she just ignored me. This was very inappropriate and I disliked it.

Michaela Osiecki I don't see how it's inappropriate. There's absolutely nothing graphic described in it at all. And chances are pretty high that no 1st grader is going to know what Playboy is and if they ask their parents, then it's THEIR job to handle. Not the school. Not the library, not the publisher, and least of all not the author.

Cindy I also am 52 and read it multiple times in 5th and 6th grade. It was like a guidebook. :) Nothing inappropriate about it. It's real life stuff being addressed in this book. As I got older, I looked for more of Judy Blume's books for adults. Found Summer Sisters and LOVED it!

message 9: by Violet (new) - added it

Violet Mary wrote: "It's harmless. Here's the kicker. I went to catholic school. It was in our school library."
Ikr. Me too. I read it in Fourth grade, and from then on I wanted to read more Judy Blume. It;s educational in a way that is n't preachy.

Ashley I always thought that Judy Blume's books offered good guidance when it came to difficult subjects like that. It's a reality that a lot of kids have been and still are exposed to this type of thing in real life and I think that this book offers a safe way to bring it up in a less pushy manner than one might get from one's peers.

message 11: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Jenna wrote: "This book dissapointed me. It is in my school library where 1st graders can access it. I brought it to my librarian but she just ignored me. This was very inappropriate and I disliked it."

I read it in first grade, and I turned out OK. It prepared me for what was to come.

message 12: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott My father subscribed to Playboy when we were kids and it wasn't hidden from us. It's just naked people, not a big deal.