UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Grammarly Blog Sponsorship

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments I got an email today from Grammarly, I haven't heard of them before and to be quite frank I'm not sure what they want from me!!! Here's a copy of the email:

Hi Chant,

You know better than most that putting your writing "out there" takes a tremendous amount of courage; readers will find and comment on even the simplest mistakes. At Grammarly we know the feeling - and we've made it our mission to improve writers' confidence. Putting our money where our mouth is, we'd be honored to sponsor your next blog post with a $10 Amazon gift card.

In case you haven’t heard of us, Grammarly is an automated online proofreader that finds and explains those pesky grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes that are bound to find their way into your first draft. Think of us as a second pair of digital eyes that can spare you the cost of hiring a proofreader. If you'd like to join our 3 million users and try the premium version of our proofreader for free, let me know and I'll make it happen!

Please send me the expected publishing date and topic of your next appropriate blog post (ideally something about writing) so I can give you all the details you need in time.

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Let me know if you ever find yourself in foggy San Francisco; I’d love to grab some coffee. :)

Anyone else had one of these???

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sounds dodgy to me.

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I know at least one person has. They felt it was dodgy too. If anyone knows it's not, let me know and I'll pass it along.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Perhaps it's my overly suspicious nature after spending so many years where I was but my first thought was they're after manuscripts to plagiarise or outright steal.

I'd love to hear that's not the case.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments ...and also totally useless if it's little more than a spellchecker. One recent indie book I read had perfectly good words, just not the right ones, so the spellchecker would not have found them.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Karen wrote: "...and also totally useless if it's little more than a spellchecker. One recent indie book I read had perfectly good words, just not the right ones, so the spellchecker would not have found them."

There's a comparison between proof reading, Grammarly and Word spell check on the blog below. Clippy does better than one would suspect.

http://goodcontentcompany.com/proofre...

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Chisnell (markchisnell) | 73 comments I got one of the emails as well, and recently went and tried it out after reading a report on the Author's Electric blog. I used a manuscript that had already been edited, and it found a lot of stuff that was marginal (comma use etc.) and maybe three grammar points (in 20k words) that were really useful. Maybe I should try it on the unedited manuscript, but on this showing not worth the $11/month subscription fee, but it is a genuine product.

message 8: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Thanks everyone!

It seemed a bit dodgy to me as well, Peppermint P.

message 9: by Gary Cecil (new)

Gary Cecil | 2 comments D.D. wrote: "Thanks everyone!

It seemed a bit dodgy to me as well, Peppermint P."

Well, did it end up being legit? The email--not the software. I received an email as well, and I am quite curious.

message 10: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Gary wrote: "D.D. wrote: "Thanks everyone!

It seemed a bit dodgy to me as well, Peppermint P."

Well, did it end up being legit? The email--not the software. I received an email as well, and I am quite curious."

I left it well alone, Gary!!!

message 11: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I have an ancient version of Stylewriter (latest version here: http://www.stylewriter-usa.com/) that I've recently gone back to using, and find quite useful for picking up those things it's easy to overlook.

message 12: by Gary Cecil (new)

Gary Cecil | 2 comments This looks pretty cool. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

message 13: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 1 comments I believe in Grammarly. After catching 260 typos in my last manuscript, and pulling my hair out for six weeks, I've decided to grow a new head of hair with Grammarly.