The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 30.6. Beth NC's Task: Ancestry

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 22, 2013 03:53AM) (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
30.6. Beth NC's Task: Ancestry

Genealogy has made a comeback in the last few years. Everyone wants to know the stories of their families and where they came from. So for this task, you are going to use your ancestors to pick the books you read.

Read two books, each from a different option.
Required – specify in your post the options you chose.

Option 1 –Read a book where the author has the same first or last name as the name you were born with.
Required: State the name you used. Spelling can vary.

Option 2 –Read a book set in the country from which one of your ancestors came. If you are not sure of the country or countries, you may be able to get some help from this website: Surname Origins. Required: State the country from which your ancestor came. If the setting is not obvious in the description please tell how it fits this option.

Option 3 –Read a non-fiction book set in or near your home town.
This can be your town of birth, of current residence, or the town in which you grew up. The same state is considered "near."
Required: State home town and setting of the book if it is not clear.

Option 4 –Read a book from
Fiction Based on Author’s Ancestors

Optional: Talk to an older member of your family about your family history.

message 2: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Reserved

message 3: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15903 comments Mod
This thead is now open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would this work for Irish decent?
This author moved back to his home country though
he was born in New York.

Angela's Ashes

message 6: by Deedee (last edited Aug 22, 2013 06:55AM) (new)

Deedee | 2079 comments LOL Option 1: my maiden name was Polish (with lots of consonants) don't think any authors have that name. Option 2 is more likely for me, as I have a choice of Poland (father) or Italy (mother).

Just did a goodreads search with my maiden name -- no results found. I figured that would be the case.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments How much variety on the first name is OK? My name is Christyna, unusual spelling, but I like it. My family calls me Christy and I go by Chris and Christyna. Can I look for any of those (or, more likely, Christina or Christine)?

message 8: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Deedee wrote: "LOL Option 1: my maiden name was Polish (with lots of consonants) don't think any authors have that name. Option 2 is more likely for me, as I have a choice of Poland (father) or Italy (mother).

..."

Deedee by any chance your maiden name is Brzęczyszczykiewicz ? ;)

message 9: by Coralie (last edited Aug 22, 2013 10:02AM) (new)

Coralie | 2078 comments I checked my maiden name in the local library and all it came up with was a series of vocabulary books for adult learners of English (all under 100 pages). For my first name I found The Most Beautiful Mathematical Formulas (where Coralie is just the illustrator) and a book on child care.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Like many people, I am a but of a mutt, with ancestors coming from many different countries (Germany, England, France, Holland, Ireland, Scotland, and maybe a couple others. Can't remember off hand). So I could pick any of those countries?

message 11: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I love this challenge - I have been involved in genealogy for over 15 years. Mostly I do my husband's family but I also have quite a bit of information on my own. But my maiden name is not a very common one. And lucky for me I am English with some more English and then some more English. So that will be easy.

message 12: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments This is really hard for me. Having a unusual first and last name, I was not able to find a book for option 1.

Option 2 is also a problem, as I'm from Germany, and as far as my family knows (which is not that easy with two World Wars having destroyed a lot) that was always the case. So my ancestors came from nowhere except where my family still lives today, Germany.

As it seems I have to go with Option 3 & 4, I would really like to know how near has to be near for me. Will a non-fiction book about Germany fit, or do I have to look for something more regional, like something about the Rhineland, the part of Germany I live in today?

message 13: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments descent---- I spelled it wrong. Man, that bugs me.
:-)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to read, for

Option 2: The Shadow of the Wind set in Spain

Option 4: East of Eden

message 15: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 22, 2013 02:04PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments For option 1, like Chris I'm wondering if we can count short forms that we are known by, e.g. Rose and Rosie as well as Rosemary?

For option 2, expanding on Fandury's comment, if all of our known ancestors came from the same country that we still live in, can we read a book set in our own country?

- Or could we pick one that's set in a different region that we know one ancestor came from (e.g. I was born in Essex and now live in Oxford but I know I also have ancestors from Devon, Yorkshire and South Wales, could I pick one of those regions)?

- Or can I say, since my father's family is from Essex in the south-east of England for as long as we can trace, it's virtually certain I will have some Norman and Roman ancestry going back a millennium or two, so I could pick France or Italy?

Not everybody's families have moved around that much!

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Rosemary and Fandury make some interesting observations. What if your family hasn't moved around a lot? I did a lot of genealogy work a number of years ago. My father's side came over on the Mayflower and my mother's side came over with the Puritans. Most of my family has been living in the same area south of Boston for 400 years - but we still say we're of English descent. (Well, actually, a couple of relatives moved to Canada during the Revolution; both my grandmothers were born in Canada, so I tell people I'm half-American and half-Canadian. Drives my Canadian friends nuts! :-) Very interesting task, though!

message 17: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Would this work for Irish decent?
This author moved back to his home country though
he was born in New York.

Angela's Ashes"

Yes this works for Irish descent

message 18: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Deedee wrote: "LOL Option 1: my maiden name was Polish (with lots of consonants) don't think any authors have that name. Option 2 is more likely for me, as I have a choice of Poland (father) or Italy (mother).

..."

This is why we have more than 2 options, and don't forget you can use first name also.

message 19: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Chris wrote: "How much variety on the first name is OK? My name is Christyna, unusual spelling, but I like it. My family calls me Christy and I go by Chris and Christyna. Can I look for any of those (or, more li..."

Any variation of Christina works

message 20: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Like many people, I am a but of a mutt, with ancestors coming from many different countries (Germany, England, France, Holland, Ireland, Scotland, and maybe a couple others. Can't remember off hand..."

Yes you can

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Option 1: Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright (Surname: Wright)

Option 2:The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Set in England)

message 22: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Leslie wrote: "I love this challenge - I have been involved in genealogy for over 15 years. Mostly I do my husband's family but I also have quite a bit of information on my own. But my maiden name is not a very c..."

Leslie, I would guess your family is English? LOL Glad you like the task

message 23: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Fandury wrote: "This is really hard for me. Having a unusual first and last name, I was not able to find a book for option 1.

Option 2 is also a problem, as I'm from Germany, and as far as my family knows (which is not that easy with two World Wars having destroyed a lot) that was always the case. So my ancestors came from nowhere except where my family still lives today, Germany.
..."

So a book set in Germany will work for you in option 2>

Will a non-fiction book about Germany fit, or do I have to look for something more regional, like something about the Rhineland, the part of Germany I live in today?
The part of Germany you live in......

message 24: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I am going to read, for

Option 2: The Shadow of the Wind set in Spain

Option 4: East of Eden"

Those are both very good books. Enjoy

message 25: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Rosemary wrote: "For option 1, like Chris I'm wondering if we can count short forms that we are known by, e.g. Rose and Rosie as well as Rosemary?

If you go by the short form of you name, then you can use that. For example I am named Elizabeth but I go by Beth. So I could use Beth as an author's first name.

For option 2, expanding on Fandury's comment, if all of our known ancestors came from the same country that we still live in, can we read a book set in our own country? ..."

Yes you can use your own country if your family has been there many generations.

- Or could we pick one that's set in a different region that we know one ancestor came from (e.g. I was born in Essex and now live in Oxford but I know I also have ancestors from Devon, Yorkshire and South Wales, could I pick one of those regions)?

Any of these regions would work for you in this task.

- Or can I say, since my father's family is from Essex in the south-east of England for as long as we can trace, it's virtually certain I will have some Norman and Roman ancestry going back a millennium or two, so I could pick France or Italy?

You can't use France or Italy unless you know your ancestors came from there.

message 26: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Chris wrote: "Rosemary and Fandury make some interesting observations. What if your family hasn't moved around a lot? I did a lot of genealogy work a number of years ago. My father's side came over on the Mayflower and my mother's side came over with the Puritans. Most of my family has been living in the same area south of Boston for 400 years - but we still say we're of English descent. (Well, actually, a couple of relatives moved to Canada during the Revolution; both my grandmothers were born in Canada, so I tell people I'm half-American and half-Canadian. Drives my Canadian friends nuts! :-) ..."

Wow, I know you are proud of your family history. You could use America, England and/or Canada for this task.

message 27: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright (Surname: Wright)

Option 2:The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Set in England)"

Those work great

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I wanted to get these okayed:

Option 1 - Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian (my name is Kathryn but I go by Kate. Author's name is Kate)
Option 2 - Callander Square (set in England and I have ancestors who came from England)

message 29: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Beth NC wrote: "Fandury wrote: "This is really hard for me. Having a unusual first and last name, I was not able to find a book for option 1.

Option 2 is also a problem, as I'm from Germany, and as far as my fami..."

Ah, thank you for explaining this. I had understood for option two that the ancestor has to come from a different country than the one you live in today. But then I think I will be able to find something to read.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments I love that my family is from England...haha! I think I have some german in there somewhere - but i'd have to go and pull my genealogical charts to make sure...with a name like weidmann

message 31: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "I wanted to get these okayed:

Option 1 - Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian (my name is Kathryn but I go by Kate. Author's name is Kate)
Option 2 - Callander Square (set in Engl..."

Approved

message 32: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Fandury wrote: "Beth NC wrote: "Fandury wrote: "This is really hard for me. Having a unusual first and last name, I was not able to find a book for option 1.

Option 2 is also a problem, as I'm from Germany, and a..."

Glad to help

message 33: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Dee wrote: "I love that my family is from England...haha! I think I have some german in there somewhere - but i'd have to go and pull my genealogical charts to make sure...with a name like weidmann"

Hopefully this task will get some people looking into their genealogical charts. It is interesting and fun to do.

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments its also very time consuming...lol! I spent a summer during college doing genealogy stuff

message 35: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Yes, it is! When I first started researching my husband's family I spent 5-6 hours a day on it. His family has been in New Orleans since 1699. Lucky for me that meant french and catholic. They are great at keeping records!! I was born in New Orleans and have lived there for quite a few years in my life, but my family is not from there. So if I decide to read a non-fiction book, can it still be about New Orleans?

message 36: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Leslie wrote: "Yes, it is! When I first started researching my husband's family I spent 5-6 hours a day on it. His family has been in New Orleans since 1699. Lucky for me that meant french and catholic. They are ..."

Yes because Option 4 is from your hometown, which can be interpreted to be town you were born in or town you lived in most of your life.

message 37: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Beth NC wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "For option 1, like Chris I'm wondering if we can count short forms that we are known by, e.g. Rose and Rosie as well as Rosemary?

If you go by the short form of you name, then you..."

That's great, thank you! I think a lot of us had misunderstood option 2.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments I am of Irish and German descent so would the book Those Who Save Us work for option 2? The reason that I ask, is because it seems like the book goes back and forth between Germany and the U.S. I wasn't sure how much of the book was set in Germany.

Thanks!

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 120 comments Option 3...I was born in Sag Harbor, New York, so I searched for Sag Harbor on Goodreads and was amazed to find Voices of Sag Harbor: A Village Remembered. This is a book in which "Residents reminisce about the village's colorful past." Table of Contents in the preview indicates that most of the residents quoted are people I know. I see my Godfather, Priest, neighbors, friends of my parents that are still living, shopkeepers, etc. My father (who passed away over 30 years ago) is listed in the index. I'm going to postpone my purchase until September, as I know I'd read it today if I bought it. What a great task this is!

message 40: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Theresa, what a lovely story! That's really wonderful, I'm sure you'll love the book :)

message 41: by Bea (last edited Aug 24, 2013 11:56AM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments My family on my father's side was researched and it could not be determined for sure how the family got to the US nor, for sure, what country the family originated in. Seems the name might have been German Grüber, which is pronounced very close to GREEVER. But no proof has been found.

I have no info on my mother's side but the link speculates that STULL is also German Stuhl.

Since neither of these is more than speculation, do I use Germany or stick with US?

message 42: by Bea (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Regarding my name - I have two names. The first name I do not use and have seldom ever been called. However, I can probably find an author with that name. My middle name is a diminutive of a name; however I was only given the shortened version BEA. I sincerely doubt there are may writers with my called name, although there may be several with the first name. ETA: I found several for both names.

So can I use my first name even if it is not what I am known by or should I stick with Bea?

message 43: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Michelle wrote: "I am of Irish and German descent so would the book Those Who Save Us work for option 2? The reason that I ask, is because it seems like the book goes back and forth between Germany and the U.S. I..."
At least half the book should take place in Germany. It doesn't look like that is the case in this book.

message 44: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Theresa~OctoberLace wrote: "Option 3...I was born in Sag Harbor, New York, so I searched for Sag Harbor on Goodreads and was amazed to find Voices of Sag Harbor: A Village Remembered...."

Theresa I am glad this task brought something good into your life.

message 45: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "My family on my father's side was researched and it could not be determined for sure how the family got to the US nor, for sure, what country the family originated in. Seems the name might have be..."

Since the last names come from German names, or seem to and you don't know for sure, you can use Germany or the US

message 46: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Bea wrote: "Regarding my name - I have two names. The first name I do not use and have seldom ever been called. However, I can probably find an author with that name. My middle name is a diminutive of a name..."

You can use either one....

message 47: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments oh, many thanks, Beth, for both responses!

message 48: by Lacy (last edited Sep 01, 2013 02:23PM) (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 161 comments I picked option 1 & 2:
Option 1 - The Gabriel Hounds - same last name
Option 2 - Echoes - the book description states that they are in Dublin. I have ancestors from Ireland.

message 49: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Lacy wrote: "I picked option 1 & 2:
Option 1 - The Gabriel Hounds - same last name
Option 2 - Echoes - the book description states that they are in Dublin. I have ancestors from Ireland."

Those work, enjoy

message 50: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 896 comments Beth, being African American, my family and I don't know where I ancestors hailed from truly because there aren't records past plantations. So, I was wondering if I could read any book set in Africa assuming that my ancestors were brought over as slaves? It's not a country but I don't have anything more specific than that.

« previous 1