Better Than Starbucks discussion

The greatest censor of them all

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Anthony Watkins (anthonyuplandpoetwatkins) | 495 comments Mod
Does anyone else ever compose poetry or fiction in their head that they would not write down on paper or in their computer?

I do this all the time.
sometimes because I think it's not well written, more often because I think it infers something,or might infer something that I don't want people think I was thinking.

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) I was an avid passer of notes in middle school and occasionally one would get intercepted and be quite embarrassing. A friend's mom told me: "Never put anything in writing you wouldn't want published."

This should have scared the crap out of me, but I tried to tell myself I just have to be comfortable with whatever I write unconditionally. Easier said than done.

But I constantly think dark and "inappropriate" things so to edit most would be almost to never write at all.

message 3: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Good for you! Wish I could do likewise

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) I'm not always successful! It becomes increasingly worrisome in this digital age where anything you post could spread around the world in a matter of minutes (never mind the attention from the authorities). I have to tell myself "Don't make bomb jokes. Don't make bomb jokes." when standing in line at the airport...

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Cox (tapbirds) | 43 comments Funny, Marc. When I first read your post above, I thought you were saying, "don't make jokes that bomb." That's one of my fears, all too often realized.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) Scott wrote: "Funny, Marc. When I first read your post above, I thought you were saying, "don't make jokes that bomb." That's one of my fears, all too often realized."

Now that I have no fear of thanks to years of practice ; )

message 7: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

1981, we are taking my then wive's freind's AWOL husband back to the Pittsburg airport so he can fly back to whatever base he was at when he got homesick. there is a lady scanning us with some primative scanning system, seems like it was more like a grocery check out counter....

I say, "yeah, im carrying a gun to hijack a plane."

she informed me that my smart mouth could get me arrested and that i had just violated a federal law. i was surprised and apologized. pretty sure if it had been 20 yrs later i wouldnt have gotten off with a warning, but i was pretty stupid, maybe that was when i learned to censor:)