Literazzi discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 312 comments Mod
I finished Gone Girl while I was on vacation, and I wonder if that affected my opinion of the book. I had to constantly put it down when I didn't want to, which drove me nuts. It sure was riveting at the beginning!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments I believe having to put the book down often would affect how one perceives the book - this one in particular. It would be similar to being on a roller coaster and having to get on and off several times during your ride. I'm on vacation myself right now and during the downtime I can't seem to concentrate that well on my Stephen King book because I keep looking up at the ocean.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Hey members: Doesn't anyone want to share their opinion of this month's book? Why do you suppose it's been on the best-seller list for so long?

message 4: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 4 comments It's kind of unique, isn't it? I've read many reviews from readers who think it's new and fantastic. Her style of switching between narrators grabs people's attention, and then the twist from part one to part two shocks people, so they tell everyone it's a "must read"!! Also, not very many people write about truly wicked women, which Amy Dunne is and then some. But that was Gillian Flynn's goal all along. I think it isn't worth all the hooplah!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments I really don't care much for mystery/thrillers and seldom read them, but the hoopla and people telling me how much they liked it drew me in. I loved it! It's like being on a wild roller coaster ride; I almost got whiplash from the twists and turns. I feel it does deserve all the hoopla. The characters felt real to me and I had no idea how it would end.

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 4 comments I don't think Nick's character is capable of completely changing because of a baby. That kid will be just as screwed up as they are.

Also, I felt like some things were left unfinished, like why Nick's father hated Amy so much. I kept waiting for a story there.

They already cast Ben Affleck as Nick, and Reese Witherspoon is producing. Thoughts?

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments Ben sounds perfect to me. Will Reese act in it also? We stood next to her in the lobby of the Geffen Playhouse and she's the tiniest thing.

message 8: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (miss_charlie_d) | 4 comments They cast Rosamund Pike as Amy. She was Jane Bennett in Pride and Prejudice.

I don't know if Reese will have a different role, though.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments I love Rosamund, but I was thinking of someone with a bit more fire. All British actors seem to be able to play any role though. Thanks for the info!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments Regarding your question about why the book has been on the best seller list so long, I think it's word of mouth plus media hype. Also doesn't having your book on the list almost guarantee more sales? Everyone wants to read what is hot. Why do YOU think it's so popular?

message 11: by Christine (new)

I guess the twists and turns kept people riveted. And their nasty marriage maybe too. Gosh, she's a psycho though. I don't think she's a real character at all! I've certainly never met anyone that vindictive and conniving!

message 12: by Christine (new)

I love Ben Affleck! I really look forward to seeing him in it! And Rosamund Pike looks so innocent, she'll really be an interesting choice for such a vicious character.

message 13: by Christine (new)

I can hardly wait for the discussion Wednesday!

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda | 189 comments You're lucky you've never met anyone like her. I honestly think the World might well be full of them.