Little Dorrit Little Dorrit question

Is Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens romantic?

If you are a romantic reader I would say no, it's not. If you are not a romantic reader, then I would say yes it is lol. I love classic romances myself, and would not classify this with those. There is however a love story.

No. Little dorritt is a story of lies and deception. In the dickens way. Like David Copperfield. I have been reading my way through the 100 classics. On # 82.here are 5 I recommend; Wuthering heights, the mayor of casterbridge, moll flanders, Emma, room with a view. ENJOY!

Christine For romance
Sep 11, 2013 12:51PM · flag
Feliks Ridiculous.
Sep 11, 2013 01:18PM · flag

Watch the miniseries with Mathew Macfadyen instead of reading the book. Dickens in writing Little Dorrit used 787 words give or take a word to say what could be said in 139 words give or take a word. The miniseries does a good job at highlighting Arthur's kind, good nature as well as his coming to terms with his feelings for Amy Dorrit. The other characters of the book are also done better in the miniseries than the author did in writing them. I know that sounds a little goofy since the characters were his creation, but the unnecessary wordiness of the book buries what is essentially a very good story, which is what happens with the romantic aspect of the book. And though it makes me sound too much like Mr. Collins of P&P, I should have mentioned that first to answer your question more directly.

I agree brolie. It does have romance. It's brewing all along and winds up in a romantic conclusion. But the story in its entirety is a mystery. Am intrigue. The mysterious prisoners. The old lady and" knowing " her servants. What? What do they know, hmmmmmm. Where P&P is a strait forward romance. A little mystery with wickham. But that mother , with all those GIRLS... romance never strayed far indeed!!

I love the miniseries. Pranks was sooooooo well cast. Amy too.

Feliks (last edited Sep 07, 2013 09:38AM ) Sep 07, 2013 09:36AM   0 votes
Yes, I think its quite romantic.

There's three separate romantic storylines at least, contained in the narrative. Probably eight couples presented altogether (variously married, widowed, divorced, courting, lesbian, etc). Of those three; each partner's side is presented. So you have a rich medley of yearnings.

Critics have long remarked that Arthur Clenman is one of Dicken's few 'noble' male characters--one who isn't simply a caricature or a parody. He's drawn with realism and undergoes quite a romantic ordeal in the middle of the novel; one remembered by many generations of readers. A very melancholy passage; and correspondingly --at the conclusion of the novel--you rarely see a more glowing newlywed couple.

I would say it's more of a character study of Little Dorrit, her father and the man who befriends them. It's a tad wordy, as Dickens usually is, but I liked the story a lot.

I would call it very romantic. To be honest, in my high school years I had a sort of fictional crush on Arthur Clennam. The plot doesn't rely solely on romance, but I think that is greatly in its favor. Dickens has never let me down, so of course I highly recommend it!

I still have a fictional crush on Arthur Clennam :) -- the BBC miniseries didn't help with that either...

But I wouldn't consider it a love story like P&P is, but I think I may like Little Dorrit more than P&P... It definitely has love but not in the superficial trite easy way that Austen tends to lean. It's more romantic like Tolstoy than the English Victorian female authors.