YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > September BOTM Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Nominations will be open until Sunday, August 5th. Please only nominate YA Apocalyptic or Dystopian Books and only nominate a book from a series if the group has already read the subsequent book(s).

Thanks!

message 2: by Courtney (last edited Aug 20, 2013 09:19PM) (new)

Courtney (toothpickpiggy) | 9 comments The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

Ok i know alot of people have already read this book but i havn't and i really want to. So i nominate the 5th wave

message 3: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Courtney wrote: "The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey

Ok i know alot of people have already read this book but i havn't and i really want to. So i nominate the 5th wave"

Great nomination...I really liked The Fifth Wave. Unfortunately, it was June's BOTM so the group has already read and discussed it. You can check out the thread, but it may contain spoilers.

Please post another nomination if you have one! Thanks

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather DeChaume | 27 comments Ashes I bought this the other day and plan on reading it soon. I've heard good things about it.

message 5: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Heather wrote: "Ashes I bought this the other day and plan on reading it soon. I've heard good things about it."

Awesome nomination! I read Ashes in 2011 and I would have to say it is one of my favourites. I didn't like the sequel Shadows though.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 81 comments Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) by Paolo Bacigalupi Ship Breaker. I think I'm reading this next no matter what. Looks like it has won some awards including Michael Printz and those are ALWAYS good.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 81 comments I'd also be up for Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

message 8: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Kelly wrote: "I'd also be up for Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis"

LOL Kelly! I guess I read too much because I've read Shipbreaker and Across the Universe. Great nominations!

message 9: by Kelly (last edited Aug 21, 2013 08:46AM) (new)

Kelly Hull (kellyvan) | 81 comments Yes, you do read a lot Cheer! I've also got Every Day
Rot and Ruinand on my TBR list. You read all those too?Gone

Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant
Every Day by David Levithan
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 10: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Kelly wrote: "Yes, you do read a lot Cheer! I've also got Every Day
Rot and Ruinand on my TBR list. You read all those too?Gone

Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant
Every Day by David Levithan
[bookcover:Rot and Ruin|7..."

I haven't read Everyday!

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 129 comments Cheer wrote: "Nominations will be open until Sunday, August 5th. Please only nominate YA Apocalyptic or Dystopian Books and only nominate a book from a series if the group has already read the subsequent book(s..."

To The Survivors

message 12: by Anton (new)

Anton (antontroia) | 11 comments CyberStorm was fantastic! A bit dark, not exactly YA though...but an easy read.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 129 comments Cheer wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I'd also be up for Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis"

LOL Kelly! I guess I read too much because I've read Shipbreaker and Across the Universe. Great nominations!"

I'd re-read Gone!

message 14: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments We had tons of interest in Arclight (Arclight, #1) by Josin L. McQuein The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau and Sovereign (Sovereign, #1) by E.R. Arroyo last month.

message 15: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Some other suggestions sent via private messages The Woodlands by Lauren Nicolle Taylor and Sapience by Bret Wellman

message 17: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Vardan wrote: "Logan's RunLogan's Run by William F. Nolan"

Interesting choice...a classic Dystopian novel, although not really YA. The movie left my sleepless for many a night when I was a little girl.

message 18: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 154 comments Cheer wrote: "Vardan wrote: "Logan's RunLogan's Run by William F. Nolan"

Interesting choice...a classic Dystopian novel, although not really YA. The movie left my sleepless for many a night when I was a little g..."

Thanks, Cheer. Well, I kind of agree with you that it is not strictly YA although the people in the novel were required to proceed with the government processed elimination once they reached the age of 21 (the age was changed to 30 in the film to accomodate the older stars as well as the average age of the paying audience).

message 19: by Cheer (new)

Cheer Papworth (cheerest) | 390 comments Vardan wrote: "Cheer wrote: "Vardan wrote: "Logan's RunLogan's Run by William F. Nolan"

Interesting choice...a classic Dystopian novel, although not really YA. The movie left my sleepless for many a night when I ..."

Yes you are right Vardan! Logan's Run is an appropriate nomination.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Law For apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, I loved The Chaos by Nalo Hopkinson , both for its fantastic premise and folktales come to life in a post-apocalyptic setting *and* for weaving in some of the issues facing teen girls even when the apocalypse hasn't happened.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.