Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The secret advantage of being short

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

You can have your extra millisecond. I'd rather be tall.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Hmmm, I just read a story this morning about a study done in Australia that tall people earn more.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You see? We make more money than you. It's worth the extra millisecond.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Tall people are also less likely to be frustrated ( as cookies are normally kept on a high shelf)

message 5: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Yes, but if you're a short female you can date the short guys and the tall guys. I always thought that was a plus. :)

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 18, 2009 06:18PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Although we are often asked to reach high shelves for other people. Which can be a pain, on one hand, but makes us feel useful on the other hand.

Plus, then you owe us a favor.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm ok with not dating short guys, Sherrie.

message 8: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments That's what stools are for. Then we don't owe nobody nuthin'!

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments RA - when asked by a shorty, always say "dang, the cookies are all gone."

message 11: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Haha, short people.

I love being tall.

message 12: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Clearly research by the short people. : )

I don't always love being tall, though. : /

Not that I'm especially tall. Relatively, though? If I end up marrying an Asian man, I will never be able to wear heels.

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell How tall are you Nools?

And you're racist.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments What is short? Below 5'-8" ?

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments well, short is somewhere between dunking a basketball and following the yellow brick road

message 16: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Below 6', Kev.

Heh.

message 17: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments ::high fives Knarik!::

message 18: by Nuri (last edited May 18, 2009 08:09PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Hi, Dave! Just telling it like it is. :D;
(I know there are exceptions! I'm sorry if I offended anyone?? It's just been a kind of common frustration....)

I say I'm 5'8", but some measures say I'm 5'9". 5'8.5"?

I didn't think I was tall until I came to Berkeley and starting hanging out with mostly Korean friends (not sure how that happened either). In fact, I spent most of my life thinking I was average.... Now, all the cute, petite Asian girls make me feel so... awkwardly tall.

message 19: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I'm 7" taller, N. I won't sit in front of you, I promise.

message 20: by Nuri (last edited May 18, 2009 08:15PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments Better not! :)

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell You didn't offend anyone. I was kidding.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Dave made me spit out tea with that racist comment. And I even knew he was kidding. Well done, sir.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I feel short. :(

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Some of my very best friends are not especially tall. I find that I can easily see past it ... oh wait ... maybe that's because I'm looking over their heads. ;)

No, but seriously. I would consider myself pretty shallow if a person's stature made a difference in how I felt about them. It just doesn't.

message 25: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I'm 5' 2" and have never had an issue with my small stature. (Jackie, does that make you feel better?) It's never prevented me from doing anything I was determined to do (other things have, but that's beside the point) and I kinda like being able to go somewhere and 'hide' in plain sight. Like the grocery store where it's fun playing hide & seek with the person your with. It annoys the hell outta them! :D

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am the perfect height. not metaphorically, actually the perfect height. i think 6' has been proven and chosen to be perfection as far as stature is concerned, btw - the perfect color is periwinkle and the perfect smell is bread baking

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) “If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”

T S Eliot

message 28: by Heidi (last edited May 19, 2009 06:51AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments 5' 1 5/8 " here. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't ever have to worry about "not enough leg room." That's pretty darn spectacular news for me. I think it would seriously suck to feel cramped up.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments 5'6 ish (probably 5'5 1/2). Taller than my sisters, and generally an enjoyable height.
I have a problem where I tend to think that people who are taller than me are automatically older than me. It doesn't really work that way anymore.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Everyone's taller than me. I have no standard for height. I love it when people can ask me "how tall was he?" And I can say "I have no idea - you tall people all look the same to me."

It freaks them out.

My sister really, truly, honestly, however, doesn't pay attention to people's looks. She always tells me:" oh, yeah, I didn't really see what he looked like" (about someone we just had dinner with!

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally, no way you're shorter than me... no way.

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Stand next to each other back to back and we'll see.

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments make a mark on the doorway

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My butt always gets in the way when I do back-to-back.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Well you could try front to front.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ok....checking out of this thread until i veers back toward PG

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Good idea, BunWat.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Try a level, they are usually longer.

message 39: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Do you prefer BunWat? Or Bunny? Or something else?

message 40: by Heidi (last edited May 19, 2009 09:57AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What's your preference, though? Surely you have a preference. You might not. And really, I guess I'm seeking permission to call you "Bunny" because I just want to do that.

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :) Okay. Bunny it is.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I do feel better now, here at my 5'7". Although Heidi's got a good point about leg room.

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments to young man my daughter is marrying in 38 days is 6'-8" and weighs somewhere in the area of 350. the boy can't even hardly sit in any chair let alone on an airplane seat. he wears a size 20 shoe for crying out loud. def restrictions at that height. he does know that ol Kev still has some steam left in the boiler and to be nervous around me

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bun what?

message 45: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Congratulations Kevin!!!

message 46: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Yep. I'll bet you used to clean your shotgun when your daughter brought guys home, too, didntcha Kevin? Got show 'em who's boss.

Jared is already practicing for our kid.

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments actually my daughter brought a boy home one time to meet me and i had been chopping wood behind the shed when she called back to me. i came around the garage wearing bib overalls, no shirt, unlaced work boots and carrying an axe with what my daughter called "a weird look on my face". i did meet the boy and she said later his comment was "that was like something off of The Shining"

he is not the same one she is marrying...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.