Southern Belles and Beaus discussion

Excellent first novel!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Berland | 1 comments I just read The Slide by Kyle Beachy. I like reading the first novels of young writers, although I am usually disappointed. This book did not disappoint. Although the author is relatively young, he has an "old soul." His characters are all flawed and suffer appropriately. I loved them and hated them simultaneously. I read the whole book in one day as I did not want to put it down. I recommend it strongly. Named one of the four best books of 2009 not reviewed by the NYT.

message 2: by Ramona (new)

Ramona (roy99) | 3 comments Kathryn Stockett's first novel, The Help is another great first novel. If you enjoy reading about the South, this is an excellent book set in MS. It's especially good if you lived in MS during the 60's (as I did) told from the point of view from the people who worked in the white man's homes. It makes for a great discussion book as well--I've shared it with two different book groups, one f2f group & one on line group.

message 3: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rebekahsfavbooks) | 1 comments I'm glad to hear that it is a good one! I just purchased "The Help" and am looking forward to reading it.

Ramona wrote: "Kathryn Stockett's first novel, The Help is another great first novel. If you enjoy reading about the South, this is an excellent book set in MS. It's especially good if you lived in MS during th..."