Political Debate discussion

Washington, DC > Obama & Notre Dame

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090...

What are your opinions on it? Do you agree that Notre Dame should have given him the degree, because thye thought they had to? Though, Arkansas State didn't give him one because they didn't believe he deserved one.

Is him promoting abortion in a Catholic University, the most prestigious in the country and one of the most prestigious in the world, okay? I mean I'm iffy on abortion...I think if the mom is in danger of being hurt or was raped or is just not emotionally stable enough to handle it then okay, but that doesn't mean I would want the president to come condone it to a CATHOLIC university. They invited him and then he abused that invite...not cool.

What yalls opinion on this? I think it shows how arrogant he is like, "look at what I can do and no one can stop me from doing it" but hey, I guess he deserves to be a little arrogant but to what extent?

message 2: by Davis, Staunchly Liberal (someone has to be) (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 401 comments Mod
It was Arizona State, not Arkansas

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) If the Catholic university that they think one man can undermine their entire education system, then I think it's pretty funny.

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) "It was Arizona State, not Arkansas"

Oh well same principle.

"If the Catholic university that they think one man can undermine their entire education system, then I think it's pretty funny."

Maybe they expected the president of the United states to have some class, and not address abortion at GRADUATION ceremony. Guess they were wrong.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Well, in what context did he talk about it?

message 6: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 55 comments I heard that speech on my way back from Ohio today actually. You're wrong when you say Obama was "promoting it". He was talking about abortion, yes, but he was talking about how the pro-lifers and the pro-choicers need to join and become friends before an actual decision is made. How they should teach each other about each others view and avoid calling the other side dumb, or that they have the wrong opinion. He did mention he was pro-choice but he didn't preach his pro-choiceness to the grads.

message 7: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) He shouldn't have talked about AT all is the point. You're at a CATHOLIC university, you know what their views are. There was no need to do that, and it was stupid that he did.

And of course he said everyone needs to get along...everyone has to love him cause he's the anti-christ :D Something he said to the Israel Prime Minister actually followed the bible's prophecy of the anti-christ, I was like...are you serious?!!? But then I laughed :D

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) But, as I said. They are not the only opinion out there. THey need to grow up, get out of their Catholic bubble, and face the real world, where they have to deal with other opinions.

message 9: by Jayda (new)

Jayda It was a graduation speech. Who said that they're in a Catholic bubble? Who said that they don't have their own opinions. Abortion is a ridiculous topic for a graduation speech. He should've spoken about education or something that wouldn't offend them. Common sense, people. If Bush had done something like that you all would've been so angry.

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Exactly, Jayda. And no they don't NEED to grow up, they just graduated Notre Dame they're pretty grown up. And it has nothing to do with their opposing opinions it has everything to do with the fact it was a graduation speech and he mentioned abortion at all, ESPECIALLY at a school he knew was against it. It just shows how pompous and arrogant our president is.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) He said it, in the context of saying pro-life and pro-choice could come together and work together. To learn from each other. He never promoted abortion, he said we could put that aside and work together.

And that is actually a very hopeful wish to have.

message 12: by Davis, Staunchly Liberal (someone has to be) (new)

Of course he had to address the controversy. This isn't a do-nothing administration, Obama doesn't pretend like things aren't happening, sorry. It would have been stupid, in my opinion, to not at least mention it.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) And, all the better at a place where it's sure to create a stir.

message 14: by Davis, Staunchly Liberal (someone has to be) (new)

Lauren wrote: "And, all the better at a place where it's sure to create a stir. "

The idea wasn't to create a stir; the idea was to being the unification of a country.

George Bush was the stirrer.

message 15: by Jayda (new)

Jayda But why mention it in a place that is clearly pro-life, where he will clearly get no where in stating it, and in a place that would take such offense?

And the idea of this country uniting for once is kind of a dream that most likely won't come true any time soon, as sad as that is.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Why mention in a place that is pro-life? Because they are living in a little pro-life world, and they have to hear different opinions, in a positive light.

message 17: by Jayda (new)

Jayda They can hear different opinions when they go to functions that support that opinion, when they turn on the television and watch CNN, when they want to look for it. But they shouldn't be forced to listen to crap that they don't believe. It would be like forcing you to listen to a church ceremony, Lauren - you don't believe it so you don't want to listen to it.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) When would they ever go to a pro-choice convention?

He wasn't preaching abortion, he was saying that it DOESNT MATTER our views, and we can still work together. He never started to promote it.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) I don't believe it, but believe me, I've listened to it.

message 20: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) "Exactly, Jayda. And no they don't NEED to grow up, they just graduated Notre Dame they're pretty grown up. And it has nothing to do with their opposing opinions it has everything to do with the fact it was a graduation speech and he mentioned abortion at all, ESPECIALLY at a school he knew was against it. It just shows how pompous and arrogant our president is."

No where in there did I say anything about him saying anything about his opinions on abortion. I said it was wrong for him to tlak about it at all especially when he wouldn't get anywhere with it.

And Obama uniting this country? You have GOT to be kidding me. If there was ever a president who was not going to unite this country it was him, because of stuff like this.

message 21: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 55 comments What the hell Kyle. This is like saying that while I am talking to a religious person I am not allowed to mention God. Even if I am not saying anything but simply saying "I read a book about God. It was interesting." Since I am not promoting God I am not allowed to mention anything about God. Nothing neutral, I can't even bring up the topic. Kyle, have you actually listened to the speech?

message 22: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Yes, I know what he was freaking talking about. And yes the situation is totally the same you-talking to someone about God or religion AND the President of the United States of America giving a graduation speech at Notre Dame, one of the most prestigious Catholic universities in teh world, and then even mentioning abortion which has NOTHING to do with graduating not to mention that all the kids there are CATHOLIC so they're against Abortion, which every one knows.

Yes those two situations are EXACTLY the same Maria. *rolls eyes*

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) It is. If they are so sensitive that the word abortion offends them, then they need a slap of reality.

message 24: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) The word abortion doesn't offend them, the fact that the President was invited to their University which is an honor only 6 presidents, including Obama have gotten, and THEN he mentioned abortion. Is what irks me.

message 25: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 55 comments But he isn't promoting abortion. He is promoting peace. He used abortion as an example since the topic of abortion is inaviatable (sp?). He used many other examples too. The kids are fucking Notre Dame grads. They are smart, they already know Obama's stance on it. Yet they still invited him. Also Christianity does not equal pro-life. If so we would have tons more pro-lifers walking around.

message 26: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Where in my last post did I say he promoted Abortion? I said he talked about it. It was a stupid example but it was indirect way for him to say, "open your eyes to my way because that way things will go my way."

Actually....."A Gallup survey released Friday found that 51 percent of those questioned call themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42 percent "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as "pro-life" since Gallup began asking this question in 1995".

Looks like we do have those Pro-lifers walking around..imagine that.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Now, did they word it pro-choice, or pro-abortion.

message 28: by Davis, Staunchly Liberal (someone has to be) (new)

Did anyone actually listen to the speech? I just did. And when he spoke of abortion, HE GOT CHEERS. He was calling for unification and the audience CHEERED HIM ON. The ultra anti-abortion people CHEERED OBAMA ON WHEN HE MENTIONED ABORTION.

message 29: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 55 comments Kyle wrote: "Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Where in my last post did I say he promoted Abortion? I said he talked about it. It was a stupid example but it was indirect way for him to say, "open your eyes to my way..."

So? 42% is pro-choice. Only 15% is not-theist. Obviously some Christians are pro-choice. And yes Davis, I did notice that.

message 30: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) He's the President of course they cheered, he could've said Notre Dame sucks and they would've had to cheer.

Also, its not the school thats mad, its the pro-lifers and other catholics who are mad at him AND Notre Dame because they have no backbone. And then after the speech AND mentioning abortion they gave him a fucking honorary degree. Jsut goes to show apparenlty public opinion controls morals.

message 31: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 55 comments I think they are smart not to overreact about a simple mention about abortion.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Show that maybe they are actually mature.

message 33: by Davis, Staunchly Liberal (someone has to be) (new)

" He's the President of course they cheered, he could've said Notre Dame sucks and they would've had to cheer."

Plenty of people didn't cheer for Bush...You really need to watch the speech and you will see why it's not a big deal. The ground ate it up.

"Also, its not the school thats mad, its the pro-lifers and other catholics who are mad at him"

Isn't that a redundant statement because Notre Dame is Catholic, and therefore anti-choice.

"Notre Dame because they have no backbone"

Do REALLY think that they have no back bone? They gave a president an honorary degree? Many worse men have recieded these degrees.

" And then after the speech AND mentioning abortion they gave him a fucking honorary degree."

As well they should, it was a great unified speech.

"Jsut goes to show apparenlty public opinion controls morals."

Fuck anti-choice people, infringing their morals on the private lives of American citizens.