Stop Violence Against Women discussion

Rap music

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Mar 19, 2008 03:22PM) (new)

John | 2 comments I acknowlege that censorship is a Pandora's box. You start censoring to solve one problem, but then you create other unintended problems and complications.

So I'm hesitant about censorship...

Having said that, I have to speak out about much the the music that comes under the heading "rap."

When I first really tried to listen to the rapid rush of words in rap, I was sickened, disgusted, and shocked.

It is an outrage that music which promotes violence passes for "art."

Violence against women is an oft repeated theme and glorified in far too many rap songs. Women are depicted merely as dispensible objects.

Some of the lyrics are so vile I can hardly imagine the kind of individual that would create such offensive material.

So we all need to speak out against it.

Real violence begins with ideas, and thoughts which lead to attitudes, which tragically lead to actions.

There are some rap songs which are actually inspiring...but they are far too few.

I become concerned and fearful when I think about all the young men--impressionabe young men--listening intently to music which is demeaning to women and which even promotes violence against women.

As parents we have to be ever vigilant about what media we allow into our homes...

message 2: by Ledena (new)

Ledena | 1 comments I'm happy to see that there are some new conversations starting on this VAW reading group. I am writing in response to John, who I think makes some good points about the attitudes, values and beliefs that help to support and condone violence against women. However, I think it's important to comment that "rap" music gets blamed often for promoting violence against women, when in reality you can find sexist attitudes and portrayals of women in most musical genres. Though this is a reading list serve I highly recommend that folks view the movie "Dream worlds 3" where professor Sut Jhally argues that the representations in mainstream music videos (as one form of media) give us too much censorship. I think it is very interesting what he means by this. Also, bell hooks writes a lot about the intersections of racism and sexism, in conjunction to talking about rap music and sexism. Thanks for the post.