Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Memorial Day Weekend Coming Up!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Memorial Day Weekend is fast approaching! What are you doing? Are you ready for summer?

We have friends coming up from Chicago, but they probably won't come until Sunday morning because 1) one of the people has a high school reunion Saturday, and 2) this is the first time my godson's parents are traveling with their baby, so they're afraid of throwing off his routine too much. That works for me, too...half the weekend will be "free", half the weekend with my friends from Chicago. On Friday and Saturday I'll probably hang out with the kids and work in the yard. Memorial Day is a big gardening weekend in Wisconsin. Then we'll hang out with our friends Sunday and part of Monday. My friends all want to watch the Blackhawks game Sunday, and my sons want to challenge them to baggo, since they see everyone playing in the parking lots before Brewers game. It's time for my sons to embrace this proud tradition.

And...you?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm taking vacation Friday for a 4 day weekend. No plans right now.

I guess I am ready for summer. I may or may not have a busy travel schedule, depending on the whims of people above my pay grade.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments It looks like Saturday is already being planned out from under me, but my intentions were to do very little aside from hang with the wife, possibly go see Star Trek, and drink heavily at least once.

When I was a kid this holiday was always all about doing the somber cemetary tour thing with the grandparents. This isn't really something we still do, and i'm curious if anyone does. To me it was always somewhat morbid and I like reflecting on my favorite memories of people who I love who are no longer here rather than associating them with a plot of ground and a headstone.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I will be celebrating anniversary #26 on Saturday, and then to my hometown to see my mom and in laws since we were quarantined for Mothers Day, and then as RA says there will be some gardening done, then my son has a baseball game on Monday. Nothing exiting, but it beats working.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow, congrats, Jim...

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Congratulations on 26 years, Jim. She must be a powerfully strong woman to put up with you that long. You know I'm kidding, of course.

Tadpole -- that's interesting about the cemetery tours. I enjoy visiting them, myself, but mostly for historical/genealogical purposes. I guess maybe we've lost touch with the day's original purpose (other than the day that kicks off the summer season).

I may just join you in that drinking activity. We have a brand new bottle of tequila to break open.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Congratulations on 26 years, Jim. She must be a powerfully strong woman to put up with you that long. You know I'm kidding, of course.

I call her the "Saint" for putting up with me.

Tadpole, We will probably take my in laws to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves, but it isn't something that we do every year, as we aren't always around.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We're driving to Toronto on Thursday, back next Wednesday. We'll visit my mom and sister, cheer on my pony and the little girl leasing her in their big show, and hopefully I'll be able to show Zu around the city this time, since it will be her first non-winter visit to the great white north.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I didn't know you were Canadian. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :) Isn't Kathleen Edwards from Toronto?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments She is, and I'm not. My family has lived there since I was fourteen, but I left before they all got their dual citizenship, so I'm actually the only non-Canadian.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah. I see. I think the whole idea of dual citizenship is really cool. I often tease my Canadian friends/acquaintances about how 90% of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I would LOVE to have dual citizenship. I was a silly teenager to burn that bridge.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments is this weekend memorial day?

in IN that used to always mean the big race but in the last 10+ yrs the INDY500 has been little more than a quiet roar in Speedway, IN. when i was a kid we went to the time trials, practices, qualification days were huge and carb day. we never went to the race itself. most of that time was spent in drunken hooliganism in the infield. now i don't know ANYONE who went to any of those events/days and people try to give race tickets away. is it NASCAR stealing away our white trash race fans or the fact that we all liked it better when good ol boys like the Unser's or A.J. was winning the race?

btw - on Saturday my youngest (KeenieBoy) is turning 18. that's my big weekend

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm still in shock that this will be Memorial Day! Probably because the weather has been so un-spring-like. Spring only arrived yesterday.

That being said, depending on the weather, a BBQ would be wonderful. We'll see if I can get Richard up off his ass. We may even invite friends over. He makes a mean rib sauce.

Jim - deep congrads!
Kevin - is KeenieBoy leaving for college? If so, are you facing the empty nest syndrome?

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Lori - nope. he will just be a senior this coming fall in high school. i have two already out of the house and we are enjoying and cherishing our time with KeenieBoy (his name is Keenan but everyone called him KeenieBoy when he was little and it stuck even though he is 6' 225#) but we are also looking forward to the empty nest. in a good way. like when the little birds fly off you can feel a bit proud you had something to do with it

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori I do know what you mean - I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet myself. But knowing me, when it comes, I'll probably weep and wail: Oh why didn't I enjoy it when I still had Jake home, why o why?!

I try to remind myself of that as the 2 of us pitch forth into yet another battle.

message 17: by Heidi (last edited May 22, 2009 07:43AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I probably should be headed to Riverfest this weekend - it's only $20 for a weekend pass - because we have some great headline shows (Willie Nelson, Buddy Guy, B52s, Gavin Rossdale, Heart, Hinder, Tone Loc, 3 Doors Down, Little River Band, some country singing peeps) but I can't deal with the crowds. I'm debating on whether or not to go. I would have to be SERIOUSLY well-rested to tolerate the aggressive drunks.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments great line-up! i saw buddy guy last year at the Rib Fest and he kills. man, Private Idaho and Funky Cold Medina on the same weekend. yes!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.