Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > ISBN disappears

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments Hey,

I've manually added a book and entered all the details. When I got back to the edit page to add the cover image, the ISBN I had entered had disappeared. However, the ISBN-13 was still there.

Any idea what's going on?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
Any chance it had an extra space in front of it by mistake?

In any case, I added in the missing ISBN.

message 3: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments Not sure, but thanks :) Hopefully I get it to work next time.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Did you include the X? Sometimes people think they're not part of the ISBN :).

message 5: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments No X in Norwegian ISBNs... :/

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse No X? what do they do when the check digit is 10?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Then what was the ISBN you entered? Because as far as I can tell, it's correct as I entered it (including showing up that way on Norwegian sites like this one) with the X.

Anyway, ISBNs are international (that's what the I is for), so Norwegian or not shouldn't matter.

message 8: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments I entered the ISBN on the back of the book - since it said ISBN. I see now that it's not the same, and I don't get why they've printed it when it's not correct.

I guess that explains it...

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Margrethe Aas wrote: "I don't get why they've printed it when it's not correct."

Typo? Who knows.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Happens. I once picked up a book very cheap because it had been printed without an ISBN...it and all its friends!

message 11: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments Hmpf...

Thanks, guys, for helping me when it was my fault to begin with :P :)

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse We've all been dug out of holes by our fellow-librarians at one time or another :D.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Hear, hear!

message 14: by This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For (last edited May 18, 2009 11:26AM) (new)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I've also seen books with a different ISBN published on the cover than on the copyright page.

message 15: by Margrethe Aas (new)

Margrethe Aas Johnsen (margrethe) | 7 comments After I noticed this, I had a look at one of the books I added to my books, which was already in the database, and the ISBN on the cover does not match the one from the database, even though it is the same edition (pages, etc are the same).

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Publishers will sometimes use new ISBN's for new editions that otherwise appear identical to old ones. No idea why.