SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Sort of a poll on the e-mail updates

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam | 87 comments I signed up for e-mail updates of what my friends are reading. At first this e-mail wasn't very long and I always read it to see what ya'll were up to. But lately it's gotten to be a very long list -- almost 500 in one e-mail this week! Apparently it lists all the books that friends add to their libraries, not just what they're reading. I'm not sure that's very useful.

Do you guys read those e-mails, check the list every day?

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments I do skim over the email updates most days, and I like to see books that people are adding. I'm not getting quite as many updates as you describe, though. At first it was a lot but most of my friends seem to have put all of their old books in now.

The email preferences allow you to choose which of your own actions show up on your friends' updates, but there is no way to choose which of your friends' actions you want to hear about.

message 3: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments I read the updates on my home page instead. It's easier because I can click on links to items I'm interested in. I read the e-mail digest of group discussions because they're all in one place so I can figure out which discussions are interesting to me. (I use this more for the Constant Reader discussions than for the ones in this group.)

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 153 comments Mod
Like gardentraveler, I use the homepage instead of email updates. I like stalking all of you!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here.

message 6: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments I've tried to do updates in smallish doses. (I really enjoy reading through other people's updates and hope others like mine.) I'm planning to make some higher-volume updates. (I'm hoping to catalog my zillions of books over the coming year.) At that point I was thinking I'd turn off my update feed and then post a new thread and say what I'd added.

I figured I'd shelve them in a way that anyone who was interested could easily find the new stuff.