Literature & Film discussion

1 view
VOTE HERE for March 2008

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimley (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
The two posts below contain the list of books/films to vote from for March's reading/screening.

I've linked all the book titles to their page here on Goodreads and all the film titles to their page on IMDB so you can get further information about anything you are unfamiliar with.

Everyone should list their top three choices in order of preference and I will award 3 points to your first choice, two points to your second choice and one point to your third choice.

I'll keep voting open until February 10 and will then tally the votes and let you all know the chosen selection for March.

message 2: by Kimley (last edited Feb 08, 2008 02:41PM) (new)

Part 1/2

Book (Author)/Film (Director)

Effi Briest (Theodor Fontane)/Effi Briest (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
Death in Venice (Thomas Mann)/Death in Venice (Luchino Visconti)
Diary of a Chambermaid (Octave Mirbeau)/Diary of a Chambermaid (Luis Bunuel)
Belle de Jour (Joseph Kessel)/Belle de Jour (Luis Bunuel)
Contempt (Alberto Moravia)/Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard)
Ripley's Game (Patricia Highsmith)/The American Friend (Wim Wenders)
The Marquise of O (Heinrich von Kleist)/The Marquise of O (Eric Rohmer)
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (Laurence Sterne)/Tristram Shandy (Michael Winterbottom)
Shoot the Piano Player (David Goodis)/Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut)
In a Bamboo Grove - in collection Rashomon (Ryunosuke Akutagawa)/Rashomon (Akira Kurasowa)
Cabal (Clive Barker)/Nightbreed (Clive Barker)
No Country for Old Men (Cormac McCarthy)/No Country for Old Men (Coen Brothers)
Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)/Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi)
The Golden Compass (Philip Pullman)/The Golden Compass (Chris Weitz)
The Human Stain (Philip Roth)/The Human Stain (Robert Benton)
The Shining (Stephen King)/The Shining (Stanley Kubrick)
Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)/Lolita (Stanley Kubrick)
The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles)/The Sheltering Sky (Bernardo Bertolucci)
Being There (Jerzy Kosinsky)/Being There (Hal Ashby)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy)/Tess (Roman Polanski)
Viceroy of Ouidah (Bruce Chatwin)/Cobra Verde (Werner Herzog)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Patricia Highsmith)/Purple Noon (Rene Clement) & The Talented Mr. Ripley (Anthony Minghella)

message 3: by Kimley (new)

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison 1. Ripley's Game/The American Friend
2. Tess of the D'ubervilles/Tess
3. The Turn of the Screw/The Innocents/(if I may add) The Others

message 5: by Kimley (new)

Marshall, we're reading the Leopard this month! Do you want to read it again in March? There are some other Italian selections if you like ;->

Re: Blue Angel, yes I know, someone nominated that more as "influence".

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments "The Blue Angel" is based on a novel by Heinrich Mann...

So here's my list.

1. Ripley's Game /The American Friend

(There are two film version's of "Ripley's Game"; the Wenders film and a more recent one directed by Liliana Cavani with John Malkovich as Ripley. )

2. Woman in the Dunes

3. The Marquise of O

message 7: by Kimley (new)

Aw, Marshall, you needn't take it so badly. It's not super Tuesday and you didn't accidently vote for John Edwards.

Keep the chin up and go read The Leopard which is about great political change and upheaval. I think you'll like it!

SomeForTheRoad.com (somefortheroadcom) | 1 comments 1. Atonement (Ian McEwan)/Atonement (Joe Wright)
2. Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)/Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi)

I took a rhetoric class 10 years ago where we had to see Blow Up over and over again, I don't think I could sit through it!

message 9: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 04, 2008 09:40AM) (new)

Alyssa | 5 comments So here are my three votes:

1. Atonement
2. Tess of the D'Urbervilles
3. Turn of the Screw/Innocents

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 45 comments effi briest-1
talented mr. ripley-2
the collector-3

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan 1. Shoot the Piano Player (David Goodis)/Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut)
2. Macbeth (William Shakespeare)/Throne of Blood (Akira Kurosawa) & The Tragedy of Macbeth (Roman Polanski)
3. Contempt (Alberto Moravia)/Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard)

message 12: by Kimley (new)

I just realized I hadn't voted yet! So, here goes:

1 - Effi Briest
2 - Contempt
3 - Diary of a Chambermaid

And a reminder to everyone that voting continues through Sunday so speak up!

And welcome to the new members! Thanks for voting!!!

Everyone is welcome to vote so please don't be shy.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) 1. Being There

2. Turn of the Screw / The Innocents

3. Persepolis

message 14: by Adam (last edited Feb 08, 2008 02:11PM) (new)

Adam | 10 comments I second contempt since I'm going to read it soon anyways then Rashomon because for some reason I have never watched it, come to think of it I have never watched contempt either...whats wrong with me. Rashomon is based on the the story "In the Grove" by the way, not the Story by the same author called "Rashomon"(which is about graverobbing). has anyone read the Akutagawa story "Hell Screen" it is an absolute masterpiece of Japanese Gothic surrealism(along with Tanazaki's "The Tattoer"). What about John Huston's Under The Volcano for some other month.

message 15: by Kimley (new)

So, I had no idea that Rashomon (the movie) wasn't based on Rashomon (the story). How confusing!!! That's another on my list of books to read in the near future. I've voted for this one in past months. But I would have read the wrong story - ha! I'll fix that in the list.

I'll definitely add Under the Volcano to next month's voting list - good one!

message 16: by Tosh (new)

Tosh | 68 comments I have been busy with 'stuff,' but Contempt is my first choice.

message 17: by Kimley (new)

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day to vote.

Everyone is welcome to vote even if you've just joined so don't be shy!

message 18: by Tosh (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Ok, here's my choices:

Death In Venice
Contempt
The Shining

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 8 comments Hope that I made the voting deadline.
1. The Marquise of O
2. The The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum
3. The Loved One

message 20: by Kimley (new)

Well, Nikki you just made it! Thanks for voting!

And the winner is...

Contempt (Moravia book/Godard film)

Looks like we really are having an Italian obsession here. Bet you all didn't know I'm Italiana and have cast some serious Italian mojo on the group!

Fortunately, this Moravia title is published by NYRB and should be readily available. Interestingly I just noticed that Amazon seems to have the Conformist back in stock - at least it says it's shipping now. So anyone who wanted to read that, I highly recommend snagging a copy while you can. It was fantastic!

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam | 10 comments I tried to read The Shining once in high school...I declare it unreadable but not for the usual reasons... I love the movie though. A suggestion for another month that would be more accesible than my Under the Volcano suggestion (who can read that easily in a month)is Invention Of Morel which inspired (Neither are straight adaptations) two films, the brilliant but difficult Last Year at Marienbad and the Brothers Quay's Piano Tuner of Earthquakes(yes its a bad title) which is flawed but interesting, and the book is a short and terrific read. Also speaking of Quays they did a couple other literary adaptations in shorts the Epic of Gilgamesh and Bruno Shultz's Street of Crocodiles and a full length of Robert Walser's Jacob Von Gunten(another short, terrific, and must read) called Institute Benjamenta, which is also flawed but interesting. Death in Venice would almost get my support as a great film and adaptation except the scenes where that piece of crap talks about art...totally painful.

message 22: by Adam (new)

Adam | 10 comments Persepolis is a really fun adaptation by the way..it looks and sounds great with great writing..one of the most unique animation movies I can recall recently.

message 23: by Kimley (new)

Adam, thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll definitely put them on the list for next month's vote.

Under the Volcano and Invention of Morel are both high on my to-read list - have seen the films but not read the books.

Actually, I haven't seen Piano Tuner of Earthquakes but did love Street of Crocodiles which is how I first discovered Bruno Schultz. It's been ages though so I wouldn't mind revisiting that.