Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Diving Bell & Butterfly

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1 comments what an amazing film about what saying what it means to be human ... subjectively & objectively ... all of a piece

( — has led me to pick up the book The Divingbell and the Butterfly but am glad I went without preconceptions — )

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
The director was on Charlie Rose last night. Fascinating guy. I can't wait to see the film and read the book.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Gary, I think you'll love the book just as much as the film. I had read the book about a year ago or so and wasn't disappointed in the least with the way they did the movie. That's unusual.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2 comments Haven't read the book (yet) but went on the presumption that it would be good based on what i knew of the director, Schnabel, having seen his work art work form the 80's. Interesting to experience an artist's transition from one medium to another. I don't know if he's still painting or not, but I can
see that he is painting with film now. The visuals on this film are worth seeing even if you aren't drawn in by the storyline. I found both to be captivating and profoundly well done. Schnabel's choice to place the camera behind and within the eye of the protagonist is brilliant and expertly executed. It was everything about this movie I liked. I would love to go see it again, as it's always difficult for me to concentrate when there's subtitles, but don't let it dissuade you; this is a marker for the industry of film.

Go to see it, if you haven't and be prepared to be rendered helpless under it's spell.

nest,
beverly

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 13 comments I haven't seen this film yet, nor have I read the book. One of my proffesor's mentioned it the other day in a religion class. I'll have to check this one out.