James Joyce Reading Group discussion

Dubliners > Ivy Day In the Committee Room

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments So far, my favorite story in Dubliners (I have Mother, Grace, and The Dead left). Who else likes it?

message 2: by Fred (new)

Fred (fnh111) | 39 comments Yes, I also like that story a lot. I think it must have been the catalyst for Aeolus in Ulysses. Anybody else see that connection?

message 3: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments Hmmm, I haven't read Ulysses yet, but when I do, I will keep that in mind. Anyone else like 'Ivy Day'?

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 207 comments Mod
i liked it, it allowed for joyce to deal with some of the political mayhem of the day. joyce and his family were fond of parnell, who was sort of scapegoated - martyred - heckled by irish society. you'll notice that he is referenced in this story.

the dead is my favorite story in the collection. i am not alone in my estimation that is one of the greatest short stories ever...

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 45 comments Good point on the Aeolus connection, Fred. You'll see a lot more of Parnell mentioned in Ulysses, Davis. Might be helpful to do a quick wikipedia read on him, you;ll get the gist of it.

message 6: by Fred (new)

Fred (fnh111) | 39 comments Davis, I agree with Agrimorfee. You miss a lot of Joyce if you do not understand the Irish background - especially Parnell, the Irish literary revival and the dominance of the catholic church. Joyce always talked about the two masters of Ireland - Rome and London. But he, also had little use for the futility of the Irish nationalist. To me, Joyce was a true man without a country.

message 7: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments I actually did do a lot of studying up on Ireland before I tacked Dubliners and I'm totally fascinated now. I want to go to college in Cork!! haha

message 8: by Phillip (last edited Jun 05, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Is anyone reading this for the JJ Reading group? I'm about ten pages into it. The first paragraph illustrates why these stories are so highly regarded...Joyce used the short story tradition to put literature under a microscope - every word gives great illumination to character, setting and theme.

Old Jack is raking cinders...a dead element of remains...he is spreading them judiciously....surely judgement is on the menu of the socio-political smorgasboard that is soon to come. His face "lapses into darkness" - another foreshadowing agent. But before the sentence has finished, he has re-emerged into the light - the element of the resurrection is in play. Old Jack's mouth falls open and moves mechanically....the cinders catch fire and Old Jack reports, "That's better now, Mr O'Connor. We suddenly become aware that Jack is not alone.

And that's just the first paragraph.

message 9: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments I've read it multiple times and I just picked up 'Critical Essays on Dubliners'. It is my 2nd favorite in Dubliners.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

I thought we were going to discuss this story this week.....?

message 11: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments I think that idea fell through :(

message 12: by Phillip (last edited Jun 18, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

well, you seemed to have enjoyed the story, what are your thoughts on it?

message 13: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 47 comments I think it just does a wonderful explanation of how shitty Ireland politics in Joyces' time was, and still is. All the characters are funny, and the sketchy priest made me laugh.

message 14: by Roger (new)

Roger Sakowski (roger239) | 13 comments It's been a long time since I read the Dubliners. At the time I was plugged into the time sequencing each story occupied more than the stories themselves. I have to read it again I guess to have anything to offer.

message 15: by Bob (new)

Bob R Bogle (bobrbogle) | 22 comments I've always felt "Ivy Day" to be the hardest story in the collection to get a handle on. There's too much about 1902 Dublin politics I simply don't understand, and the gap of time yawns deeper with each passing year. It interests me that this was JJ's favorite in the collection before he wrote "The Dead." The withering fire can be seen as Parnell. I'm uncertain this story has a protagonist, and it seems to have less plot than any other D story. Connections found in U and FW help of course; still...

Big Hard Books & Classics (allen770) | 6 comments I'm hosting a Readathon all this month: #Dubliners2019 on YouTube