Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Shopaholics Read/Movie Date

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Okay so lets do this the FUN way.
Grab your book and start reading. Should be fun. No discussion is off the table. Be mindful spoilers could appear at anytime but please dont jump in just to spoil the book or movie. If you've already read or saw them please save ending comments until everyone has seen the movie. However book comments can be discussed at anytime I just ask that you dont jump in and tell everyone the end vs discussion topics.
The movie is set to be released 6/23. So save the date.
Ohhh and lets share some good snake time recipes since we will be seeing it at home. Food. Chicks. Books. What better combination is there. (okay... other than that?!)

message 2: by Holli (last edited May 14, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

Holli I'll get a copy of the book and start my reading :)

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Sounds fun... hope I can get the book on my next trip to the library.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments this may sound stupid- but what are "snake time recipes"?

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli I think Tera just had a mini typo there and meant "snack time recipes"....

message 6: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Oh! Wow, you'd think I'd totally pick that up after reading countless of essays by middle schoolers...I thought maybe it was just a regional slang or something...thanks for clarifying that! I'll try to think of some good snack recipes!

message 7: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
LOL I totally typo'd. Sorry. mmmm snake recipes.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 101 comments Holli, you'd better get used to it. We Texans love to eat our snakes! We love roadkill too! LOL.

message 9: by Joy (last edited May 15, 2009 04:31AM) (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments ah, I guess it wasn't a typo after all! haha. Stacy, your comment had me laughing out loud so hard, my collegues were wondering what happened!

I'm so excited to be doing this book! I love Sophie Kinsella and can't wait to see the movie and re-read the book! As soon as I'm done with the book I'm reading now, I'll pick it back up. Yay!

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli That's hilarious Stacy! :)

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I have had rattlesnake chile does that count?

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Long time lover of all things Sophie Kinsella - I'm in. I've read all the books and watched the movie already, but I'll definitely put in my 2 cents...

message 13: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Cool! I am excited about discussing Shopaholic!

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I just finished the book I'm working on now...so excited to start Shopaholic (from the very beginning) again!

message 15: by ReneeB (new)

ReneeB I've read all the Shopaholic books and loved them. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm looking forward to that.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 544 comments This is such a great idea! I just purchased the book and will start reading right away! Looking forward to discussing and watching with everyone!

message 17: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I've starting reading the first one again. Will there be a discussion board specifically for the book and then the movie?

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I believe there are five together so far. From what I recall, Sophie will be/is writing more books, but they most likely won't be out for a while :(. Confessions of a Shopaholic is the first, followed by Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. I won't give away the rest, though it'll be pretty obvious if you search for it yourself. From what I understand, we'll just be reading the first one to watch with the movie (though from the previews, it looks like it might contain a bunch of them, or just completely screwed up the books...).

Hope this helped!

message 19: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Read first. Discuss the book at anytime. Then we will all watch the movie when it's released and movie discussion after that.

message 20: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra A friend just let me borrow the book and I just started reading. I look forward to discussing the book:)

message 21: by Thauna (new)

Thauna I'm in too...I've already seen the movie (my one movie I've seen at the theater this year...sad). I'd love to read the book, haven't ready any of her (Sophie's) books yet, but I've been wanting too. And my daughter hasn't seen the movie yet, so we'll need to add it to our Netflix cue.

message 22: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I read the whole series and can't wait to see the movie. I was hoping she would come out with more but I guess she really has no where to go with the series right now.

message 23: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 101 comments If you haven't read Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?", it is really good. I liked it even better than the Shopaholic books.

message 24: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments I liked Can You Keep A Secret too. I was just more attached to the Shopaholic characters.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I love this! I thought I was the only person on Earth who'd read the books, but didn't go see the movie in theaters. I've read the whole series except Shopaholic & Baby so I should be all set!

I've been told by friends who saw the movie that it's really the 1st and 2nd book. Might want to read both before 6/23, just to be safe.

message 26: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Thanks for the heads up, Katie! I might actually re-read the second one now too!

I've already started the first book. When should I start discussing it? Will there be a separate board, or should I just start here?

message 27: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I guess I'll throw something out there to begin discussing this book! As I've mentioned before, I'm rereading the book, so I know what's going to happen (for the most part) already.

I'm wondering how many of us can relate to Becky. I love shopping and constantly look for sales, and if something is on sale, I'll be even more tempted to pick it up. That being said, if I truly can't afford it, I'm able to stop myself. I was wondering how many of us are like that, or are you more like Becky- you'll stop at nothing to get it?

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I have to watch myself. I usually can say no. But I have found there are certain moods/times of the month that I have no self control. I justify it with oh its so cheap right now.

message 29: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm able to stop myself or at least hang on for awhile until it gets marked down. Most of the time when I shop I'll go looking first. I'll scout out what I want and then I wait to see which thing I can't stop thinking about. I just did this recently with a purse from The Limited. I saw it first online for $36.99 and loved it. Do I need it? Not at all but its a cute summer style purse. So I waited. I went into the store twice and checked it out, left it there both times, and then 2 months later it went on sale and I snagged the last one in the store for $23.99.

And I love it :)

message 30: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) If anyone is looking for this book, I still have a copy left. I also have the 2nd one and 3rd one (the Sister one). Just let me know and I'll send them out.

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments The Sister is the fourth one, actually...just wanted to let you know, in case somebody was expecting a different one.

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I love to shop and I always hit the sale and clearance racks first. I don't remember the last time I paid full price for a piece of clothing, accessory or shoes. Getting a good deal honestly gives me an adrenaline rush. I do the same thing as Holli and call it "stalk shopping." Sometimes I end up being disappointed when I miss out by waiting, but I usually get the things I really want and figure it's not meant to be if I don't.

Unlike Becky, if I don't have any money to begin with, I never set foot in the store.

message 33: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I usually do the same thing, Katie! I also can't remember the last time I bought something full price! Unlike Becky, though, I don't use a sale as an excuse to buy something.

I really love Becky because she's so funny, but I'm starting to become a bit tired of her ditziness. I understand she doesn't care for the financial business, but I feel like she's becoming a bit of a complete moron (especially while talking to her parents' neighbors. I don't know who's up to that part yet). I really feel that it's the humor of the story that keeps me reading.

message 34: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Joy ~ She stays ditzy like through all of her books. It could get annoying but it's like that flighty friend that everyone has...you grow to love her.

message 35: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I love to shop too! I am always looking for sales and I love to browse online at gilt's website. I can't help it, but I figure I am just looking, so its not a big deal. I'm not like Becky where I just spend, spend, spend. Of course there are some times where I am weak and I will give in and buy it (of course those times are very few). However, I am like Becky, where I will see something I want and imagine how it will impact my life (like a new Marc Jacobs handbag) - I am guilty of shopping fantasies. At the end of the day, I know what and when I can buy.

message 36: by Thauna (new)

Thauna I think Becky is the extreme of what is in most of us from time to time....well at least inside of me. I've justified things because of a sale or clearance. I've bought something because of a free gift. But Becky is way more extreme that I am.

I have tendencies to shop when I shouldn't...but my problem purchases are very rarely clothes or accessories unless they are for my kids and now my granddaughter. My problem purchases are usually books and technology. If there is something I really want I won't let it go until I find a way to afford it (or finance it). Like my DSLR camera...I lusted over that for a year before I found a way to buy it. And then it entailed putting it on my dad's Circuit City card (in November) until my tax refund arrived in February. I just couldn't wait any longer. :o)

Lusted for my Kindle for 6 months until I found a way to get one (traded for web design services). I guess I'm more like Becky that I should admit. Ha!

PS. this is like an AA meeting right?!?!? Strictly anonymous. haha

message 37: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Thauna- I think that's really what it is too; Becky is the extreme "us". Good point! Also, In a way, this must be like an AA meeting. "Hi, I'm Joy and I'm a shopaholic!" You should have seen me Sunday after I got my big paycheck...oh boy, where did all the money go?

Mandy Sue- I've actually read all the books already, so I know! It's been a while since I've read them and I'm going back, only this time I'm finding her to be a bit more irritating than before...I'm trying to figure out why.

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) Katie wrote: "I love this! I thought I was the only person on Earth who'd read the books, but didn't go see the movie in theaters. I've read the whole series except Shopaholic & Baby so I should be all set!

I'v..."

Thanks for the tip! I read the first and loved it, but wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on w/the series. Now I'll make sure I do in time for the movie!

message 39: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Joy ~ That's funny! I can't re-read chick-lit. It either sticks with me or it doesn't. The only books actually I could re-read are memoirs, biographies and classics.

message 40: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Teri...yeah all I really need is a good excuse or reason and work is a great one. I'm really good at rationalizing. Too good.

message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments I just went shopping this afternoon- and oh, boy! I went to pick up a wedding gift and went with my sister, who needed a dress for her party and I ended up spending way more than I needed to! Although, it was on sale and I got an extra discount by using the store's credit card...it's scary how much I sound like Becky right now! I'd consider returning it, but I'm too lazy to!

Mandy Sue- I'm totally into chick-lit! That's about all I read, although finding really good chick lit (I know, some think that's an oxymoron) is getting harder and harder! I love rereading them (especially Meg Cabot) and finding new things and new hints within the lines.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Joy wrote: "this may sound stupid- but what are "snake time recipes"?"

I thought maybe it was a Texas thing!

message 43: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Lisa- that's what I though originally!

message 44: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Okay dinner and dates. The movie is released Tuesday. Who's still up to watching it together?

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 192 comments I'll be watching!

message 46: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments if we want to do it tuesday for sure, the afternoon/evening is best for me, although Tuesday is pretty hectic for me at the moment.

message 47: by Holli (new)

Holli I've seen the movie and read the book so I'm ready for any and all discussion ;)

message 48: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Me too! Can't wait to hear what you all thought about the movie and book.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 544 comments Finished the book and can't wait to see the movie! I really enjoyed the book!

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I watched the movie this week and loved! Not quite as good as the book, but very close.

« previous 1