Epic Reads Book Club discussion

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
This topic is about Something Strange and Deadly
Something Strange and Deadly > Do you think Mrs. Fitt is justified in her demands on Eleanor?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Epic Reads (new) - added it

Epic Reads (epicreads) | 54 comments Mod
This discussion question comes to us from the author herself!

"Eleanor’s mother expects a lot from poor El. She wants Eleanor to marry and save the family from financial ruin (despite the fact that Eleanor is only 16), she wants Eleanor to become friends with the rich “cool” kids (like Allison or the Virtue Sisters), and she wastes money the Fitt family doesn’t have on new gowns and fancy house decor. She demands Eleanor behave according to “proper etiquette” and squeeze into a corset that deforms her ribs.

Do you think, given the time period, Mrs. Fitt is justified in her demands on Eleanor? Why or why not?"

Celine  Dubios (celinedubios12) | 7 comments I think that it is justified because its during that time period where the only thing that matter was statues & riches begin high in the social ladder. But I also think that

Celine  Dubios (celinedubios12) | 7 comments She has no right to demand that much to Eleanor considering that her brother is lost and has to do everything herself to support the family when the mother could also help her. So in conclusion ms.fitt isn't justified for what she is doing to Eleanor .

Leslie (flouncyninja) | 2 comments While this is a common sort of behavior shown in Victorian-era literature, I’ve never found it to be very rational. After the death of her father, the responsibility of maintaining the family’s well-being fell on the shoulders of Eleanor’s older brother, who took off on some studious mission that eventually leads to the events in the first book. With him out of the picture it really should have been Mrs. Fitt’s duty to maintain their stature or at least face the facts that things needed to change. By grasping onto the final threads holding up the Fitts’ stature by essentially trying to sell her daughter off to the highest bidder, she’s showing that she cares more about money and reputation that her own daughter’s health and happiness.

In the context of the era though, I suppose it makes sense for a woman raised on the misguided morals and expectations of the upper class to place all her expectations on her 16-year-old daughter when the men in her family disappear rather than face truth and start living a more modest lifestyle. Still it makes me sad that Eleanor is faced with such epic expectations at a young age. And corsets didn’t make much sense at any point in time.

Renate | 8 comments Given the historical context, while I think that Mrs. Fitt is premature in pushing Eleanor onto the marriage market, I didn’t feel that her behavior was exactly unwarranted. Corsets were a fact of life in Victorian times, like makeup and bras are to us. And she was a mentally unwell person grasping for a sense of security by trying to regain a bit of her former life, when she was happy. A lot of pressure to put on your teenage daughter? Yes. But was pushing Eleanor to aid in raising the family’s social standing unheard of for that time? No, and that’s part of what I love about the heroine’s relationship with her mother and her struggle to find a balance between what she’s been raised to do and believe, and what she’s discovering she really wants and cares about and values. Real relationships are complicated, and I loved the intricacies of Eleanor’s with her mother, and her conflict between loving her mom and wanting to please her and make her proud, and remaining true to her own moral compass and convictions.

Jillian  (bookishandnerdy) I have to agree with the consensus given the time period, Eleanor's mother couldn't think any other way. It's just the way she was raised so that's how she was going to treat Eleanor. Do I think it's right or like it? Not at all. In fact, her mother was so annoying. GOSH! Eleanor had to take care of the finances and still be a proper lady of society so that her mother could be taken care of? UGH annoying character is annoying. I finished the book just now, and I still have zero sympathy for Eleanor's mother.

Halee (hayy6747) | 5 comments In the time period that this book takes place in, yes, it's totally justified, although it is not fair to Eleanor. Her mother wants what's best for Eleanor and the Fitts' family.

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 6 comments I want to say "Yes." Mrs. Fitt is justified on her demands due to the time period and the way women were raised in that era. I am sure that Mrs. Fitt had an arranged marriage to keep her social status. Money and power were everything.

I am sure that Mrs. Fitt wasn't able to remarry given that she was forcing Eleanor to do it. I could be wrong. She probably came off the market because she lost her mind when her husband died. I believe that the younger you were, the better chances you had to marry.

Also, women were raised to "entertain" while the men did "business." So, women really didn't do much thinking. That's why I love Eleanor, she agreed to be different and not accept things they way they were. She brought excitement to her life by contradicting her mother. Who wants to do anything because they are told to do it?