Mostly Literary Fiction Book Discussion Group discussion

Book Recommendations > The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 5 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I am reading this book (by Staffer & Barrows and it's really delightful. It's about Guernsey Island, which is in the English Channel. The island & it's inhabitants were occupied by the Germans during WWII and formed the society to cope with their occupation. It's written in epistolary style & at first I thought oh, boring, but it is anything but & I became ingrigued just about right away. I recommend it highly. I'm going to hand it off to my 2 daughters to read after me, so it won't be back on the library shelves for a bit, but look for it. ~Barbara

message 2: by Sally (last edited May 16, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I am reading this book (by Staffer & Barrows and it's really delightful. It's about Guernsey Island, which is in the English Channe..."

Hi Barbara - I've heard so much about this book, and went to an author reading when it first came out. Based on all the raves and reviews, I was thinking it would make a good selection for our book group. (I haven't read it yet, but it's on my "to-read-soon" list.)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments I am actually on a hold waiting list to get my hands on this book. It's sort of hard to come by! I'm glad to hear people are enjoying it. I hope to soon, myself!
Michelle

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 5 comments Sally, Yes, I was going to ask you about putting it on the list for our book club. I think everyone would enjoy it!
Barbara

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
Barbara wrote: "Sally, Yes, I was going to ask you about putting it on the list for our book club. I think everyone would enjoy it!
Barbara"

I'll go ahead then and make it our October selection! (We're already booked through September.) Thanks for the suggestion, Barbara.