Daily Diary discussion

Novel Confessions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments It's 3 a.m., and i have a long day at work tomorrow. I just spent the last 3 hours devouring Danielle Steel's "Answered Prayers". Borrowed the novel from my colleague. Couldn't resist. Every now and then i do this, and then wonder why. It's not always Danielle Steel, but of similar genre. Why? A dire need for some emotional retribution perhaps? Don't know. But, i do enjoy it.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken The word for this, I believe, is "slumming." Yeah. We all need a guilty pleasure once in a while. For me it's Joseph Conrad.

message 3: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments Hmmmmm... slumming with Joseph Conrad? Now that's a 'novel' confession alright....

What d'yall think? Confessions, anyone?

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) Slumming it....hmmmm....let me see.....how about Maeve Binchy? If I say Diana Gabaldon I will probably be lynched! Danielle Steele is worse than slumming....you are a brave lady Prabha!!

message 5: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments it' not brave, it's pathetic :(

But i dont know - in some weird way, it helps me. Like i dont need to think, and the problems are sooooo day to day, and i just know that the ending is SO never gonna happen to me - A TOTAL suspension of disbelief, and a reaffirmation that it can't possibly get worse than this (books, i mean. Life certainly can!)

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 10 comments It's like comfort food - those authors or genres you can turn to when real life is too much. I like to dive into a Grisham, Turow, Baldacchi or other legal thriller. Lately, I've also gotten into Barry Eisler's John Rain series -- they're all pretty similar, but I kind of like that about them.

message 7: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments Yes Grisham's great for slumming, by the time you get your head around all the legal eagle stuff, you'd think your life's an absolute breeze :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Slumming with Joseph Conrad?

Okay, I fess up. I adore Stephen King. He is an amazing writer with superb characters and boy can that man write.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) Danielle Steele makes me see red and John Grisham sends me to sleep, personally, but I definitely have my own brand of "slumming": paranormal romance. (love the term, by the way!)

Only discovered it late last year, but it's great stuff to slip in in-between the "weightier" books. Sometimes historical romance too. It's a complete indulgence, better than chocolate :) I can read one in an afternoon, and they just make me hungrier for other types of books, which is a great side-effect!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I'll have to go with John Grisham and Janet Evonovich. I call it brain candy. Sometimes I just need a Stephanie Plum fix. These books just make me feel better somehow.

message 11: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 2 comments Romance novels have to be the ultimate slummy book - by definition, there is a happy ending. When I let the brain turn to sludge with a book, I don't want to think, just enjoy. Chicklit fits the bill every time. Marian Keyes, in particular and Maeve Binchy has also been a favorite.

I would put crime novels here, but only when you've gotten to the third book in a series and realize that you would be seriously irritated if it didn't follow the pattern laid out by the first two, and you had to, well...think.

message 12: by Symbol (new)

Symbol Does Anne Rice fall into this category? Probably.

Actually, I do a lot of slumming (I think). I always feel that I should read something more substantial, something meaningful. And I do... sometimes. It just doesn't seem to happen very often. I feel guilty about reading all this fluff, but I just can't help myself! I like my light-hearted, insubstantial YA/sci-fi/fantasy/etc.
I try to comfort myself with the idea that it's better to melt my brain with slummy reading than video games or TV. Don't know how true this is (or even exactly what I mean when I tell myself this) but it makes me feel better, that's all I need. :P