Fear Fantastique discussion

Movies > The Ninth Configuration

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

At last I have a copy of this film! For many critics this is the greatest Horror film of all time but due to copyright problems as well as studio and Director differences most people have never seen it.

I probably won't get a chance to watch it for a few days but to summarise, this is the true sequel to 'The Exorcist' according to writer and director William Peter Blatty and the second film in his 'Trilogy of Faith' (The Exorcist, The Ninth Configuration and Legion).
This is the story of the astronaut the Regan tells "You will die up there." but I don't know much more than that.

Anyway, after searching for this for a couple of years I finally have a legit copy and it has a Directors commentary, woo hoo!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Rob, it should be easier to get it in America than over here. I'd found a region 1 but never a region 2 until now.
I was just researching it and apparently it won a Golden Globe for best screenplay back in 1981.

message 3: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) If push comes to shove you can always buy/pirate/download it and convert it to your local region.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i don't know this one. so, is it unavailable in the states? i'll have to poke around and see.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Rob, two characters from 'The Exorcist' appear in the film although it's not a continuation of Regans story.

I'm looking forward to it but I hope the conversion is good.

I've been stung twice in recent months with supposed remastered DVD's; 'Fitzcarraldo' is missing huge sections of sub-titles, which is a joke and makes it almost impossible to watch, while the new remaster of 'Nosferatu' is like a VHS transfer.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip That's strange (about Nosferatu). There are always copies of it at the video store I go to. I purchased one of those, and it has excellent picture quality. It also features the german version on one side of the DVD and the english (dubbed) version on the other side. All of Herzog's films have been remastered and released on DVD. I haven't seen this bizarre version of Fitzcarraldo....but that is one of his films I have a hard time finding. Criterion has released Burden of Dreams, the documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

*********SPOILERS AHEAD*******************

Finally got to watch it...emmmmmm...what can I say!...what CAN I say?

It's certainly a film of two halves, that's for sure. Some of the dialog is as sharp and pacy as anything you'll see; it's difficult to keep up with the quips sometimes.
(It actually reminded me of 'Catch-22' now and then, to be honest.)
I suppose it is a meditation on good and evil but a very slight one and even that could be argued against.
I certainly don't think this is a horror film at all and the connection to 'The Exorcist' is precarious and hardly needed.

There is a twist, which I won't reveal, but, again, it didn't demonstrate any particular solution to the films argument or train of thought.
I found the ending absolutely appalling and almost laughed out loud and I didn't expect to feel that way at all.
I'll write more when someone else gets to watch it.