It's the shizKNIT!!! discussion

Getting Started

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Everhart (BeckyEverhart) Okay, I am interested in learning to knit. I have carpal tunnel and a type of hereditary arthritis in my hands that will leave me unable to grasp things later in life, according to my mother...and all at the ripe old age of 25. Therefore, I want to learn all of these skills and accomplish what I can while I'm still able. Sounds bleak, but I'm very able.

That said, me only guide is a little "Knitting for Dummies" book. I have some yarn but no needles yet. What would you recommend I read or try to get started?

Thanks for the input,
Becky

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2008 01:48PM) (new)

Hey Becky,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but actually, I've got a mild form of it myself, (from all the typing) and a year or so ago I got a real bad case of it and everyone kept telling me to pause the knitting - which was the best advice!!! to let it rest, but for the life of me, I couldn't.... anyway, it gets better. That being said....

there's some cool books Celebrity Scarves and Celebrity Scarves 2 out there that are pretty nifty, all these celebrities knit scarves, I think you'd like it. Big Book of Knitting by Katharina Buss is really comprehensive, and actually a more savvy Stitch n' Bitch is super great too. Debbie Stoller has a really easy way of explaining the knitting process. Once you want to get started I think The Yarn Girls' Guide To Simple Knits is a great one to get you rollin'.

All the best to you, I hope you find this helps. You'll get the hang of it and YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP - be forewarned it's an ALL CONSUMING passion!!!

(tee hee)

P.S. I LOVE your wedding dress with the red! You look beautiful. When did you get married?

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane (luvstoknit) | 15 comments Becky, I, too, am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I have arthritis in my hands, but I am 50. When my hands get too painful, I have to slow down a little on the knitting, but that is oh so hard for me to do. I would recommend that you maybe start with size 10 needles, they are not too big and not too small. There are so many great books that teach the very basic knit stitches and also some good websites with video. As a librarian, I really do find that the "Dummy" series books tend to be a little difficult! I know that sounds crazy, but it's true! Best of luck in your knitting adventures!

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Anderson (lorianderson) I really liked "Knitting For the First Time" by Vanessa-Ann -- each project focused on one stitch or "idea".

Lori
Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog