Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

The Princelings of the East
This topic is about The Princelings of the East
AUTHORS' CORNER > Have you ever rewritten a published book?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (new) - added it

Jemima Pett | 1113 comments Mod
I've had some lovely reviews of The Princelings of the East, but there are some comments that come up in different forms from different people, 10 year-olds to 60 year-olds :)

I'm thinking of revising it, to address some of the sentence structures, and also to put more dialogue in places where I'm heavy on description, especially in backstory.

Have you ever done a second edition of a published book? What were your experiences?

And if you've read (and especially if you've reviewed) Princelings, how would you react to a second edition coming out?

M.G. King (MGKing) | 729 comments The changes you are talking about don't materially change your story, just improve the way it's told, right? I think ebooks are a pretty fluid format -- it's pretty easy to upload the newest version. Kindle will even notifiy your readers of changes and give them the opportunity to upload the newest version.

I don't think it's necessary to declare it "2nd Edition" unless the storyline changes significantly -- would be interested in hearing what others think about this. I don't see any downsides to making improvements--it can only earn you more future readers, right?

message 3: by Jemima (new) - added it

Jemima Pett | 1113 comments Mod
Well, I hope so, because I've gone and done it. It's online at Amazon and Smashwords now (as of this morning!) and will work its way through to the other online retailers over the next week or so.

No it wasn't a story change. I've added something like 2,000 words or six pages by explaining various parts that were each described in a paragraph. Now they are conversations between the characters. I've also done some changes to the sentence structures.

But given these are responses to reviews and other feedback, I think it's nice for people to know that this is a new improved version! (hopefully!)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 1589 comments Mod
I think marking it as a second edition is a good idea. Of course, with my paperback, CreateSpace made me issue a "second edition" just because I changed the size. Nothing in the story was altered, only the cover and size. But I think that has to do with rules for ISBNs, which aren't an issue for ebooks.