Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion

Bella's time of month

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by An (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

An Ha There is blood there, isn't there?
The book had not mentioned anything about Bella having a period, so I'm confused. Did Bella not get her period? She IS 18 in New Moon, but it didn't mention her having a period. What happens when she does? What will Edward do??

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly I read this same question on the Twilight myspace group a long time ago. I can't remember what the exact answer was (it was Stephenie Meyer herself who answered it), but I believe that it was because when you get your period, it's a mixture of blood and tissue and stuff, and it wouldn't have the same effect on Edward as just straight old blood would. I don't know if that topic is still on the myspace board, but feel free if you want to double check because it's possible I could be wrong.

message 3: by An (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

An Ha Thank you! Would you mind sending me the URL of the Myspace group or something?

message 4: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly No problem.

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...

Again, I'm not sure if that question is even still on there, but it's a pretty cool group anyway.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

You should visit http://www.twilightlexicon.com !!!

Any question you have ever had about these books are answered in the FAQs on this website by Stephenie Meyer herself!

<3

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 7: by Chloe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chloe On twilight lexicon I read something personally answered by Stephanie that it does effect Edward a little bit, cause he can smell it (but he's too much of a gentlemen to say) and Bella would be way to embaressed to ask. And obviously she got her . if your 17 and you don't you have a big promblem with you. Stephanie is not the type of author who puts too much detail.....

Brittany I have been asking my bff this question every day for the last 3 months. I wasn't figuring so much about Edward, I was thinking more about Jasper. If Jasper couldn't control himself because of a papercut, how can he control himself during that? P.s. I have had many mental pictures about this subject, and not all of them involved Bella and Edward.*shudders*

message 9: by An (new) - rated it 5 stars

An Ha ?
wait. nvm. i dont think i want to know

Jodie Ya and what about how Bella gets sick at the sight of blood? What happens to her during her period? she toughs it?

April I'm so glad there are other people out there who thought of this besides me!!! I have been so confused by this!! I mean that's alot of blood, and for at least 3 days, so what's the deal?

Maybe that's why Jasper took a snap at her, he could smell that already?!! I know gross!

Brittany Yeah trust me dont ask about the mental pictures because you really don't want to know. It is all my friend's fault. I asked her that question and then she's like "Ew ew ew bad mental picture" and I asked her what she was talking about and she described it in full detail. God sometimes I just want to hit that girl. Yeah and also Edward. If she is his singer, what does he do during that time?

Vettech2124 hmmm...Funny but very realistic question. I never thought of that! But I guess Edward IS too much of a gentlemen to say anythinG, like Chloe said! Im guessing same thing for Jake, cuz you know he has a strong sense of smell, right?

Ashley wow I have never considered that before... very interesting. I would love to hear what Stephanie Meyer has to say about your question... which is now mine too.

Kirstin I have thought about this in terms of Edward, but not with Jake. Interesting.

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate I have thought about that, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's just a story, its not something that really happens. It's not really important to the plot

Riley Very interesting.

Charlotte Maybe Edward has picked up on her cycle and plans his "hunting" trips around her TOM??? Maybe that's why his eyes are also darker at certain times instead of their honey or "ocher" color.

message 19: by Kara (new) - rated it 1 star

Kara I am a reader of vampire novels and this is not something that is generally addressed. This is the first time I have actually thought of it. Interesting...

Sophia Okay, how bout this: what happens when Edward and Bella "make love" in breaking dawn? Since Edward has no blood circulating, he can't get an erection, so....

message 21: by Virag (new) - rated it 1 star

Virag Sophia wrote: "Okay, how bout this: what happens when Edward and Bella "make love" in breaking dawn? Since Edward has no blood circulating, he can't get an erection, so...."

Gross. But true, like the period thing. And vampires are supposed to be as hard as concrete, so, umm, having *that* in you would be exteremly painful. Bella mentions getting bruises after hugging Alice and such, but wouldn't she get way worse bruises from having sex wih Edward?

Ashley Not just Bella, what about all the other girls in school. How would any of them cope?

Periods where mentioned in the Southern Vampire Mysteries once which I thought was funny. It said something about how all the vampire's loved it and Sookie felt really attractive because they got all excited and lustful.

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie It's all the time. That's why its never mentioned. Stephanie Meyer woud sound like a broken record

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Edward; "Bella, I have something to confess. Isucked your blood last night..."

Bella; "but there arn't any bite marks..."

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Virag wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Okay, how bout this: what happens when Edward and Bella "make love" in breaking dawn? Since Edward has no blood circulating, he can't get an erection, so...."

Gross. But true, lik..."

She does.

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena Virag wrote: "Gross. But true, like the period thing. And vampires are supposed to be as hard as concrete, so, umm, having *that* in you would be exteremly painful. Bella mentions getting bruises after hugging Alice and such, but wouldn't she get way worse bruises from having sex wih Edward? ..."

In Breaking Dawn she has bruises all over and Edward is horrified when he sees her (the next morning). At least, I *think* I remember that. I don't think the hard as marble thing would be a problem. The cold/super strength thing might be a problem, though.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Lena wrote: "Virag wrote: "Gross. But true, like the period thing. And vampires are supposed to be as hard as concrete, so, umm, having *that* in you would be exteremly painful. Bella mentions getting bruises a..."

and isn't *making love* supposed to be warm? Edward is freaking COLD!!!!!

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena Haha, yeah, but I guess it could make things interesting, as long as he wasn't like frost bite temperature.

message 29: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess o my gosh. awkward. cna't believe there r so many people who talk about this stuff. i only saw this cause my sister is a random and told me to read it. and yes in the book she has serious bruising...hwere is the atraction exactly???

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Jess wrote: "o my gosh. awkward. cna't believe there r so many people who talk about this stuff. i only saw this cause my sister is a random and told me to read it. and yes in the book she has serious bruising...."

thank you and Jess you shouldn't tlk about me on here!

message 31: by Kali (new) - rated it 1 star

Kali Virag wrote: "Gross. But true, like the period thing. And vampires are supposed to be as hard as concrete, so, umm, having *that* in you would be exteremly painful. Bella mentions getting bruises after hugging Alice and such, but wouldn't she get way worse bruises from having sex wih Edward? "

AND he's icy cold. Fun!

message 32: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess agreed

Sophia Uumm... Why would you care? I, personally, wouldn't walk up to the couple and say "Is it awkward during that time of the month?" But, that's just me. But, sometimes I think that we can leave well enough alone, for the characters' sake, not to mention the author's.

message 34: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV There are people who soak in tubs of ice water before sex because it intensifies the orgasm.

Valerie Zhang There are people who do disgusting things... but then there are people who don't. It just depends on the person.

message 36: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV That wasn't my point, nor is that relevant considering there is nothing inherently "disgusting" about that.

Theresa Ramseyer Doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I'd think body heat and friction during sex etc. would completely negate any affects from soaking in ice water.

message 38: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV You wouldn't think strangulating yourself right before climax would make a difference either, but there are a lot of people who would swear by erotic asphyxiation.

Theresa Ramseyer What one person thinks is disgusting, another doesn't.

For example,I think being slimed is gross and disgusting, always have. One reason why I rarely watched Nickelodeon. Others think to be slimed is wonderful.

message 40: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV I don't have cable, so I have no idea what that is haha.

message 41: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I recently read the Official Guide and it said that Edward notices but he's too much of a gentleman to say anything and Bella is too mortified to ask. It doesn't affect him the same way regular blood does.

message 42: by Ashley (last edited Mar 17, 2012 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ashley It's the logistics thats the problem, if Meyer is going to establish the rule that even a tiny bit of blood makes Jasper loose control then that can't suddenly change because she wants to put the characters in high school.

But if all the Cullens are at school everyday there is going to be girls on their period all the time, if Bella getting a paper cut made them lose it how the hell are they able to stay cool in school and not try to attack every girl who is surfing the crimson wave?

And if Meyer is explaining it as 'different blood' then she doesn't really understand how the human body works.

Charlotte It's a fiction book, it can not be applied to real life to the extent of picking up on each human biological function. Yes Meyer has tried to make it as 'realistic' as possible, but if she wrote about every human female having their period and Edwards ability to get an erection it would just be one step to far. To explain it, Meyer would have to change the book entirely as pretty much all of the Cullens bar Carlise wouldn't be able to be around humans at all.

Just accept it's a story and not real.

Ashley "I think you do not understand it as being different blood because it IS. It is dead blood."

The menstrual blood is made up of blood and tissue from inside the uterus, or womb. It is not dead blood. Menstrual blood is regular blood.

Ruthie Pennington Jodie wrote: "Ya and what about how Bella gets sick at the sight of blood? What happens to her during her period? she toughs it? "

I had to answer to this one. A LOT of people are not ok with blood in every other sense, but they are fine with their period. That is completely normal to not like blood and get sick at the sight of it, but a gushing wound is a lot different than something you deal with every month.

message 46: by Alexanne (last edited Nov 17, 2011 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alexanne Because menstrual blood is gross, slimy and gooey and not even the baddest vampire would be turned on (by turned on I mean go all crazy "I want your blood" vampire-y) by vagina blood because that's actually really gross. LOL

Kathryn This entire conversation made me LOL. Thanks guys.

All in all, does it really even matter? We all have to remember, these are 'teen' books. Sometimes, even though teenage girls get their periods, there are certain subjects which don't need to be addressed in books. I actually wondered the same question when I read the books, but as a woman, a period effects every woman differently. Some women who get grossed out with someone cutting their finger off can actually deal with the blood from the menses. Its a different occurrence, you're more prepared for it, and you just learn to deal with it. As for Jasper, maybe she wasn't around him when she was on her period? And someone said it earlier, but in the book "Breaking Dawn" it does say after Bella and Edward had sex for the first time on their wedding night, she woke up with bruises and Edward was apologetic. But in all honesty, why does someone even care to ask this? I guess I can see your interest... But a few times, I think Edward says, "He/they can smell your blood." Maybe there's a hint there....

Glinda the Gallifreyan There just might be... I never really thought about this before, but now I'm really wondering about it..... =]

Deborah Maybe Stephenie will answer this in Midnight Sun.

BubblesTheMonkey No one knows... she obviously didn't think about it or care about it enough to mention it.

« previous 1