A New Earth discussion

Read an Excert from A New Earth

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited Jan 31, 2008 08:28AM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
In his insightful look into humanity's ego-based thinking, Eckhart Tolle provides practical teachings for waking up to a new, enlightened mind-set. If you're seeking a more loving self and a more loving planet, A New Earth has the tools to begin your transformation.

Is humanity ready for a transformation of consciousness, an inner flowering so radical and profound that compared to it the flowering of plants, no matter how beautiful, is only a pale reflection? Can human beings lose the density of their conditioned mind structures and become like crystals or precious stones, so to speak, transparent to the light of consciousness? Can they defy the gravitational pull of materialism and materiality and rise above identification with form that keeps the ego in place and condemns them to imprisonment within their own personality?

The possibility of such a transformation has been the central message of the great wisdom teachings of humankind. The messengers—Buddha, Jesus, and others, not all of them known—were humanity's early flowers. They were precursors, rare and precious beings. A widespread flowering was not yet possible at that time, and their message became largely misunderstood and often greatly distorted. It certainly did not transform human behavior, except in a small minority of people.

Is humanity more ready now than at the time of those early teachers? Why should this be so? What can you do, if anything, to bring about or accelerate this inner shift? What is it that characterizes the old egoic state of consciousness, and by what signs is the new emerging consciousness recognized? These and other essential questions will be addressed in this book. More important, this book itself is a transformational device that has come out of the arising new consciousness. The ideas and concepts presented here may be important, but they are secondary. They are no more than signposts pointing toward awakening. As you read, a shift takes place within you.

This book’s main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind or to try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in consciousness, that is to say, to awaken. In that sense, this book is not "interesting." Interesting means you can keep your distance, play around with ideas and concepts in your mind, agree or disagree. This book is about you. It will change your state of consciousness or it will be meaningless. It can only awaken those who are ready. Not everyone is ready yet, but many are, and with each person who awakens, the momentum in the collective consciousness grows, and it becomes easier for others. If you don’t know what awakening means, read on. Only by awakening can you know the true meaning of that word. A glimpse is enough to initiate the awakening process, which is irreversible. For some, that glimpse will come while reading this book. For many others who may not even have realized it, the process has already begun. This book will help them recognize it. For some, it may have begun through loss or suffering; for others, through coming into contact with a spiritual teacher or teaching, through reading The Power of Now or some other spiritually alive and therefore transformational book—or any combination of the above. If the awakening process has begun in you, the reading of this book will accelerate and intensify it.

An essential part of the awakening is the recognition of the unawakened you, the ego as it thinks, speaks, and acts, as well as the recognition of the collectively conditioned mental processes that perpetuate the unawakened state. That is why this book shows the main aspects of the ego and how they operate in the individual as well as in the collective. This is important for two related reasons: The first is that unless you know the basic mechanics behind the workings of the ego, you won’t recognize it, and it will trick you into identifying with it again and again. This means it takes you over, an imposter pretending to be you. The second reason is that the act of recognition itself is one of the ways in which awakening happens. When you recognize the unconsciousness in you, that which makes the recognition possible is the arising consciousness, is awakening. You cannot fight against the ego and win, just as you cannot fight against darkness. The light of consciousness is all that is necessary. You are that light.

The title of this topic, as well as the excerpt, included above, were selected from http://oprah.com. If you go to the link, you can print up a bookmark that has a space for writing questions that come to you as you read each chapter.

message 2: by Aberjhani (new)

Aberjhani | 4 comments Thank you KSR for inviting me to weigh in on a discussion of Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth," the new Oprah Winfrey book club choice. I did note when reading about it that this was quite a departure from previous works chosen for the club. At the same time, Ms. Winfrey has always been very open about her spirituality so it was inevitable that her literary and spiritual interests would merge and find expression through her book club.

As for the basic concepts of the book itself...well, perhaps I should save those comments until after reading a bit more.

Aberjhani
author of The Wisdom of W.E.B. Du Bois
and Encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance

message 3: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) It's true, A New Earth is quite a departure from other books Oprah has chosen for the club. Beginning back in high school with James Allen's, As a Man Thinketh I have been drawn to books that educate the soul and elevate the spirit.

So, when I heard Oprah announce that her pick was a book by Eckhart Tolle I was filled with a wonderful feeling that I'd be able to discuss something meaningful and lasting with people like you here at goodreads. This should be a wonderful group discussion I look forward to hearing what you have to say in future discussions.

Thank you for your beautifully expressed comments, Aberjhani.

message 4: by H. (new)

H. Bassiri (sollarsystem) | 1 comments thank U KSR ... really appreciated. U just guid me to the right place, led all of us to where we all need .. thank U for Ur awsome invitation

message 5: by Karey (last edited Feb 01, 2008 07:41AM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Have you got "A New Earth," yet? It's amazing. Waiting for the book discussion to start on Monday seems much too far away. I got it yesterday and am as far as Chapter Two right now.

I haven't read a book like this in years, and it actually feels wonderful to shift gears. It's very "new-agey" but I'm willing to put that aside and look in between the lines.

message 6: by Fenixbird (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 1 comments How delightful of you, Karey, to include me in your invitations for a shared read of "A New Earth."! Sounds lovely..& Super Bowl wishes to you

message 7: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) For the Reading Group video Oprah has asked groups like ours to do for A New Earth, what do you think of the idea of creating it out of our still pictures and having narration? Oh, and glad you've joined us, Fenixbird!

Superbowl wishes to you, too! My hubbie is out of town, so I get to have a silent house on this snowy day, instead of...well, let's just say I'm not a heeeuge football fan! I hope you'll still be my friend! ;)