Epic Reads Book Club discussion

Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
This topic is about Something Strange and Deadly
Something Strange and Deadly > 1800s Philadelphia Pics

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Epic Reads (last edited Aug 02, 2013 07:24AM) (new) - added it

Epic Reads (epicreads) | 54 comments Mod
While reading this book we can't help but wonder what 1800s Philly must have looked like. Did some Googling and here's what we found:

Centennial Exhibition (1876)

Centennial Exhibition Philadelphia
Source

Interior of the exhibition (see that fountain?!?!)

Centennial Exhibition Philadelphia

Laurel Hill Cemetery

A monument at the Laurel Hill Cemetery
Source

A monument at the Laurel Hill

A monument at the Laurel Hill Cemetery

Caitlin (bookchats) Are there any good maps of 1800's Philadelphia out there? Reading this book makes me really really want to be able to visualize where things are in relation to each other.

message 3: by Epic Reads (last edited Aug 02, 2013 02:00PM) (new) - added it

Caitlin wrote: "Are there any good maps of 1800's Philadelphia out there? Reading this book makes me really really want to be able to visualize where things are in relation to each other."

Here's a map of Philly from 1842. Hopefully this helps!

Here's a preview of it, the link above is where you can view it full size.

description

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Caitlin wrote: "Are there any good maps of 1800's Philadelphia out there? Reading this book makes me really really want to be able to visualize where things are in relation to each other."

I actually have a map of the city from 1876 on the Something Strange & Deadly website! You can see it here: http://somethingstrangeanddeadly.com/...

Caitlin (bookchats) Thank you! Those help a lot.

message 6: by Epic Reads (last edited Aug 02, 2013 05:35PM) (new) - added it

In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of death due to disease, sometimes, people would be buried alive and some cemeteries equipped bells on a string in the graves so if you were in fact buried alive, you could ring the bell and someone would dig you out. Here's how the mechanism supposedly worked:

description

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments EpicReads wrote: "In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of death due to disease, sometimes, people would be..."

They WERE in fact legit! People in the 1800s were so afraid of being buried alive that they designed those caskets with bells--but I thought why not make it so the casket bells are a warning someone has returned to life as the Dead? Way scarier that way... ;)

Renate | 8 comments Susan wrote: "EpicReads wrote: "In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of death due to disease, sometime..."

Fact: I have a holy terror of being buried alive. The thought that this could somehow be scarier? Not possible, I thought, until I pondered that if people were afraid of me rising from the dead, no one would respond to the bell to dig my not-yet-dead body out of the ground. Holy crap, it actually did just get more terrifying. Thanks.

Susan (stdennard) | 11 comments Renate wrote: "Susan wrote: "EpicReads wrote: "In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of death due to dis..."

Holy. CRAP. That is SO TRUE. I hadn't even thought of it like that!!!! I think my alternate Victorians will need to come up with a special version of the casket bell for those who really ARE a live... Maybe a speaking tube you can scream through??

Renate | 8 comments Susan wrote: "Renate wrote: "Susan wrote: "EpicReads wrote: "In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of d..."

I don't think I'd even need it to amplify the sound; I would be so completely and utterly terrified that I'd use up all my air screaming myself hoarse.
Now I'm not gonna be able to sleep before work tonight...

message 12: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana (sanashams) Susan wrote: "EpicReads wrote: "In the book, Eleanor references the bells in the Laurel Hill cemetary. Apparently those were a legit thing back in the day. Due to a large number of death due to disease, sometime..."

Oh wow, this is pretty cool. I just got to the part about casket bells. Way to make something creepy into creepy scary. Impressive!