DC Public Library discussion

General > Books and Movies

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TaChalla (new)

TaChalla | 17 comments We always say the book is better than the film, but are there some films that do the book justice?

If you could make any book into a film, which book would you choose?

Let me know what you think. Also be sure to listen to what two DCPL staff members' say about the issue. Click on the link below.

https://soundcloud.com/dc-public-libr...

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria | 159 comments Mod
I read this sort of cheesy thriller called The Informationist which was a lot of fun, but not too well written. The entire time I was reading it, I kept thinking that the story seemed like it would make a perfect movie. Lots of interesting descriptions of people and places and lots of stunt opportunities. I just looked it up on IMDB and it says "in production"! I hope it actually gets made because it could be a very enjoyable summer blockbuster.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Maria wrote: "I just looked it up on IMDB and it says "in production"

Unfortunately for you, the person who bought the rights is James Cameron, and he's stated several times he's not doing anything until he finishes the Avatar series of films. And since that might take a while, it'll likely be "in production" until 2017 or so...

Just FYI, "in production" is pretty much a meaningless term in filmmaking. Could mean anything from being a day away from cameras rolling to a project that will never ever get made.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Price (mpricejr) | 10 comments I have a favorite sci-fi series by Larry Niven called Ringworld. I've always wondered what it would be like to see the movie. Here's why:

So there's a huge planet but it's not spherical; it's shaped like a ring instead where inertia and very tall mountain chains on the edges keeps everything on the inside kind of like in that new movie Elysium. The big difference between Elysium and the Ringworld is that this place is way cooler and way bigger. In fact, different portions of the ring have different atmospheres as if you were suddenly transported to Mars or Venus. There are entirely different civilizations and continents. I would give anything to see the movie adaptation.

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Michael wrote: "I would give anything to see the movie adaptation" of Ringworld

Looks like all you'll need is patience, it's being developed as a miniseries by SyFy: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/10/rin...

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 10 comments Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency: The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. A little known book by Douglas Adams and the audiobook is amazing. I think a movie would be even better.

message 7: by Ms. (last edited Sep 26, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

Ms. | 9 comments I'm actually surprised that I haven't heard any updates about "Ready Player One" yet. Cline's novel is basically a combination screenplay/graphic novel/arcade & video
game all in one already, so it's just a matter of getting the cast and fx right. And yes, Will Wheaton should have an obvious cameo appearance in it. Superhero Geek is chic right now so I hope we hear something about it soon. Warner Bros purchased the rights in 2010, so I'm looking forward to whenever it is filmed & released.

message 8: by Ms. (last edited Sep 26, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

Ms. | 9 comments A few YA/Children'sbooks to suggest:
"Ascendance Trilogy: The False Prince, The Runaway King" & the 3rd book which has yet to be completed at this point. The dialogue, action & adventure is spot on in this book. The right lead actor could be cool and/or "swoon-worthy" for teens with his sharp wit, quick thinking, cocky swagger & integrity of his mission.
I maintain that "The One and Only Ivan" would make an ah-mazing stage play for families, the personal relationships between the animal characters & multi-layered subject matter is perfect for the perceived intimacy of the theatre. However, if handled well like Charlotte's Web" it could translate to an animated film, I suppose...just as long as it isn't ruined with live action cheesiness (IMO, "Babe" was one of few live action seriocomic family films that had emotional buy-in and was well done).
"Zora and Me" brilliantly co-written, could adapt very well to film. It would be a funny and mysterious children's period adventure based on the speculation of what Zora Neal Hurston was like as a 'tween storyteller steeped in magical realism inspired by her environment & culture. plenty of colorful characters in the supporting cast and an an Oscar-worthy opportunity for 2 dynamic, African-American 'tween girl actors. Quevenzhane Wallis is 10y.o now and she'd still be the perfect age to play either girl if the movie is made within the next 3 years.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 24 comments Oh my goodness! Quevenzhane Wallis in Zora and Me would be the best thing!

message 10: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Ms. wrote: "I'm actually surprised that I haven't heard any updates about "Ready Player One" yet."

Yeah, the Ready Player One film project seems kind of dead in the water at the moment. There was a big hullabaloo last December, when he sold the film rights to his second book for an ungodly amount - but even those stories didn't give any news about progress on RP1. It's generally not good if you're not hearing anything about a director or star attached.

message 11: by Tony (new)

Tony | 45 comments Last night I finally found the 3 hours to sit down, and with great trepidation, watch the film version of Cloud Atlas -- which is one of my all time, top five favorite books. It ended up being a good deal better than I expected, but probably only because my expectations were so low. Also, I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks, so having him at the center of it all didn't help.

What I'd really love to see some day, is a mini-series in which each chapter of the book gets an hour, and the mini-series is shown in the same order as the book. That would be amazing.

message 12: by Ms. (new)

Ms. | 9 comments Tony wrote: "Last night I finally found the 3 hours to sit down, and with great trepidation, watch the film version of Cloud Atlas -- which is one of my all time, top five favorite books. It ended up being a go..."

"Cloud/Atlas" is def on my list of books to read and films to watch. I was so torn when the film came out because I wanted to see it, yet I wanted to read the book first. Your comment reminds me that the book needs to be placed higher on my "To Read" list.

message 13: by Ms. (last edited Oct 08, 2013 05:29AM) (new)

Ms. | 9 comments Tony wrote: "Ms. wrote: "I'm actually surprised that I haven't heard any updates about "Ready Player One" yet."

Yeah, the Ready Player One film project seems kind of dead in the water at the moment. There was ..."

Indeed. How disappointing...

message 14: by Ms. (new)

Ms. | 9 comments Erin wrote: "Oh my goodness! Quevenzhane Wallis in Zora and Me would be the best thing!"

I can picture in my head and it makes me smile.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Informationist (other topics)
Ringworld (other topics)
Ready Player One (other topics)
Cloud Atlas (other topics)