I Listen to Podiobooks discussion

Favorites

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam | 1 comments I like all of Scott Sigler's stuff, like The Rookie, Infected, Nocturnal, etc...

The 7th Son Series by J.C. Hutchins is also very good.

Mur Lafferty's Heaven series is amazing as well.

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron | 5 comments In no particular order, the following are my favorites:

Greg Crites Dunkin the Vampire Slayer series, along with Devlin, Abnormal Investigations
J.C. Hutchinson's 7th Son Trilogy
Mark Jeffrey's Max Quick Series
Mur Lafferty's Playing For Keeps
John Lenahan's Shadowmagic
Scott Sigler's Earthcore and Nocturnal

In addition to these podcast novels, I've also enjoyed many more, but these are my personal favorites.

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (linds_) I have recently finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It is read by the authors - a complete delight.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (TheVoicesOfBrian) | 2 comments Love pretty much all of the above, but I'll add a few of my own:

Forever Fifteen by Kimberly Steele
Cresent by Phil Rossi
Murder at Avedon Hill by PG Holyfield.

message 5: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments I do love most of Scott Sigler..
He has a great narration and the strangest imagery.
But I also highly recommend Mike Bennett, he has amazing wit and style and is an amazing writer.
He does "One among the Sleepless"...a one of a kind black comedy..And the "Hall of Mirrors 1 & 2"..
All on Podiobooks.com
Currently he is working on a vampire saga "Underwood and Flinch". You feel like you are watching a movie when you listen to this one.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane (DivaDiane) | 2 comments I've listened to and enjoyedPlaying for Keeps by Mur Lafferty
Murder at Avedon Hill, P.G. Holyfield
Quarter Share, Nathan Lowell

I'm in the process of listening to Chasing the Bard by Philippa Ballantine and
Half Share, by Nathan Lowell

message 7: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments I'm sort of in the process of listening to several simultaneously..
"Quarter Share" and "Brave Men Run"
I typically prefer not doing this when the Podiobooks are completed..at some point one will overtake the other..
I just listened to "Diary Of a Madman" and was pretty shocked by the sheer brutality of it.
I would warn anyone to be very cautious before loading it in their ipod..
I have a very long list of those I want to get around to listen to..
My favorites so far are
all of Mike Bennett
almost all of Scott Sigler
65 Below by Basil Sands
Resurrecting Randi by David Shepard

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (Nemesis0) | 2 comments Scott Sigler, JC Hutchins, Seth Harwood, Phil Rossi, Mur Lafferty, Matthew Wayne Selznick are the main ones. Tho so far i havent really listened to one that i didnt like.

message 9: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjamins-reads) By far, my absolute favorite podiobook is The Leviathan Chronicles by Christof Laputka. The sound production is amazing, the voice actors are fantastic, the story is incredibly engaging -- and it's still a free podiobook! I've listened to probably 40-odd podiobooks since I stumbled across them in 2006-ish, and I love many of them (the 7th Son trilogy, Scott Sigler's stories, Shadowmagic, etc.), but this one really blows all the rest out of the water. It's still in production, but there are 24 episodes out now, and I'm really looking forward to the rest.

message 10: by Ron (new)

Ron | 5 comments Benjamin wrote: "By far, my absolute favorite podiobook is The Leviathan Chronicles by Christof Laputka. The sound production is amazing, the voice actors are fantastic, the story is incredibly engaging -- and it's..."

Hello Ben,

Like you, I love The Leviathan Chronicles too. I completed the first season of it. I can't wait until he comes out with the next season. I actually need to update the books I've listened to, this is the first time I've logged into Goodreads in months.

message 11: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardgtalbot) | 2 comments I have a soft spot for the 7th son trilogy, but I love Harwood and Sigler as well. I'd add greg Crites (whose books are no longer on podiobooks I don't think) and Philippa Ballantine as well. I hear great things about Nathan Lowell and P.G. Holyfield's work as well, and I did listen to initial episodes to get an idea for what they did with production and performance. I'm planning on buying both gentlemen's books in print when they come out.
I've also read the paper copies of Crescent by Phil Rossi, brave men run by Matt Selznick and Playing for Keeps by Mur lafferty and they were excellent - haven't listened to them.

message 12: by Kenn (new)

Kenn Crawford (kenncrawford) | 3 comments There are so many great podiobooks out there!
I've heard most of Scott Sigler's stuff - the FDO is the man!

Nathan Lowell is a "Must Listen To" for everyone and "7th Son" trilogy by JC Hutchins I enjoyed a lot.

Right now I am listening to "Dreaming of Deliverance" by R.E. Chambliss - it's a fantasy story without the fairy tale stuff. I loved listening to her narration and was thrilled when she said she would narrate my book, "Dead Hunt".

"Chasing the Bard" by Philippa Ballantine was a super cool book.
Phil Rossi's "Harvey", "Blood Witness" by Dave Hitt and "Forever Fifteen" by Kimberly Steele are all excellent books.

I'm also listening to "Dead Mech" by Jake Bible and "Young Junius" by Seth Hardwood.

There's more that I have heard and enjoyed but it's almost 5 am so I can't think of them right now.

There's more queued up on my ipod that I haven't had a chance to listen to yet and from what I've read on these posts there's even more I want to get.

message 13: by Ron (new)

Ron | 5 comments Kenn wrote: "There are so many great podiobooks out there!
I've heard most of Scott Sigler's stuff - the FDO is the man!

Nathan Lowell is a "Must Listen To" for everyone and "7th Son" trilogy by JC Hutchins I..."

Dead Hunt is pretty damn good. I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode.

message 14: by Ron (new)

Ron | 5 comments Below are some other great podcast that are below the radar, despite some of them receiving Parsecs Awards.

Collin Earl's "The House of Grey"
FETIDUS (The Foundation for the Ethical Treatment of the Innocently Damned)
Darker Projects: The Byron Chronicles
Abigail Hilton's "Guild of the Cowry Catchers"
J.A. Areces' "Interview for a Wizard" and the rest
Chris Lester's "Metamor City"
Eugen Fairfield's "The Servant and the Soothsayer"
Jeremy Robinson's "Beneath" and "Kronos"

message 15: by Kenn (new)

Kenn Crawford (kenncrawford) | 3 comments Ron wrote: "Dead Hunt is pretty damn good. I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode. "

Thank you Ron, I'm glad you are enjoying the podiobook.

message 16: by Ridan (new)

Ridan | 3 comments Hello all,
First let me say I'm VERY new to Podiobooks. I only found out about it because I bumped into Nathan Lowell on a site about publishing. Long story short, I hooked him up with my boss and now we are publishing his books. So far I've only listened to Quarter Share but the news came down that we are picking up the rest of the "share" series so I'm off to listen to them as well. Based on what I've seen here there are a lot of others I want to add to my list. I'm excited to start exploring podiobooks in more detail and looking for this group for some great suggestions which I've already started seeing.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2 comments Hello everyone!

I am still abit new to Podiobooks and becoming a big fan!! Kenn Crawford's Dead Hunt was my introduction to Podiobooks, and I have enjoyed it so much it is a permanent fix on my MP3 player! So far, I have listen to "Forever Fifteen" by Kimberly Steele and I have listen to almost all of Scott Sigler's too. Now, I am planning to try out some of the others one from this discussion list.

message 18: by Kenn (new)

Kenn Crawford (kenncrawford) | 3 comments Rachel wrote:
Kenn Crawford's Dead Hunt was my introduction to Podiobooks, and I have enjoyed it so much it is a permanent fix on my MP..."

Ahhh shucks. Thanks Rachel. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You could always check the charts on Podiobooks http://www.podiobooks.com/charts.php to see what others are listening to.

EARTHBOUND was cool (a non-horror ghost story. I love the narrator's voice)
DEAD MECH is awesome (takes a bit to get used to the drabble style but the story rocks).
The new ANCESTOR is great and I loved it the first time!
CONJURING RAINE is an interesting story - another non-horror book only this one's about a vampire. It's cool that people can write about the tropes without all the gratuitous blood shed. But I likes my mayhem, bloodshed and gore too :)

Need a quick fix? I have some audio short stories available, such as "I, DADDY", a story so intense author R.E. Chambliss calls it: "Creepy and disturbing with some terrific humorous moments"
Visit http://kenncrawford.com and click the 'Short Stories' link.

Thanks again Rachel, for the wonderful comment.

Kenn

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2 comments Thanks Kenn, I will difinitely going to check out YOUR short stories!! and the others.
Looking forward to all your stories!

Thanks again!

message 20: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 3 comments Just wanted to say I LOVE PODIBOOKS - it has all my favourite authors

message 21: by Dani (new)

Dani | 2 comments Rosanna wrote: "I do love most of Scott Sigler..
He has a great narration and the strangest imagery.
But I also highly recommend Mike Bennett, he has amazing wit and style and is an amazing writer.
He does "One am..."

LOVE Mike Bennett

message 22: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (Shawn123) | 2 comments I am a die hard audio book person but don't know much about podibooks. I mainly listen to classics (yes I know Librivox), non fiction and international biographies etc so it does not look like there are a lot of books in this collection for me. I will try it out though..

Question - I don't read a lot of fiction so I don't recognize the authors mentioned above (I will try some of them out)...but was interested to know are most of the books here self published books?

message 23: by Zachary (new)

Zachary (madpoet) | 1 comments Shawn -

Scott Sigler's Earthcore was originally bought by a big six publisher, was all set to go, and... 9/11 happened. And in the subsequent period, the book was never published, and I think the imprint closed. Scott's since been picked up by another big publisher, and his books mentioned above are being published by NY publishers - with the exception of The Rookie and its sequels, which he's doing under his own imprint. Infected is particularly creepy / disturbing / good.

J.C. Hutchins' 7th Son: Book One - Descent was picked up by a big publisher, but the sequels (which got better as it went, IMHO) weren't picked up.

P.G. Holyfield's Murder at Avedon Hill and Mur Lafferty's Playing for Keeps were both bought by smaller presses. Mur's since been picked up by Orbit, and her The Shambling Guide to New York City is out now from Orbit.

Nathan Lowell's Share books are fantastic, and he was picked up by a small press that was doing great things. Apparently, that small press has had some problems over the last year, and I'm not 100% sure where the rights are now.

Philippa Ballantine is kicking butt and taking names with big time publishing right now, and has a number of books out, and a new one due some time this year with another Podiobooks legend - Tee Morris.

But all of those authors (with a technical exception in Sigler's Earthcore) started out with self-pubbed audio books, largely on podiobooks and their own websites.

message 24: by Shawn (new)

Shawn (Shawn123) | 2 comments Thank you Zachary. I will check out some of these books. It will be fun to expand my reading/listening list.