Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Karen K's 2008 reads!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Karen I'm excited to have found this group! One of my goals for this year is to get back into reading and stop watching so much television. Here's what I've read so far-- I know it's kind of a strange list but I've been recovering from surgery and lots of people have given me books to read. I've been introduced to things I never would have picked up on my own, it's great!

1. My Life With George, Summers
2. Three Cups of Tea, Mortenson
3. Twilight, Meyer
4. Eclipse, Meyer
5. New Moon, Meyer
6. If you Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name, Lende
7. Oryx and Crake, Atwood
8. The Other Boleyn Girl, Gregory
9. The Constant Princess, Gregory

I'm about to finish one more, so that will make 10 for January. Some of these were very fast, easy reads though. I might still try for 100 books this year. . .

message 2: by Sadaf (new)

Sadaf (saddaf) Wow 10 books a month!!! I'm impressed :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 47 comments What did you think of Three Cups of Tea? I am really intrigued by Mortenson's story so I really want to keep reading it, but the book itself is just not holding my attention.

And, I too, am impressed with 10 books in a month!

message 4: by Tiffany, Administrator (last edited Jan 31, 2008 05:42PM) (new)

Tiffany | 1774 comments Mod
Karen - I'm in the same boat of trying to cut back on tv. As a kid, I read ALL THE TIME. As I've gotten older, though, I find that I spend too much time watching tv at night, and recently I've also started playing on my computer into the wee hours of the morning (mostly finding books on Goodreads! Otis & co. were *too* successful with this thing!). I'm also using this challenge of 50 books as incentive to turn off the tv and read for even longer every day.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Don't be too impressed with 10 books this month! First, many of them were quick reads. Second, I've been only working part-time. I'm slowly getting back to work after surgery, but spend a lot of time at home resting. And I'm single, so I have no kids to take care of and lots of free time.

Jessica, I know what you mean about Three Cups of Tea. I'm impressed with his work but the book was hard for me to finish, I just couldn't get excited about it. And to be totally honest, I kept thinking about all of the children here-- local-- who are homeless and hungry. And then I would feel so guilty thinking that, how could I criticize someone who was sacrificing a lot to help people?

So I felt guilty for my reaction to the story and I felt guilty for not liking the book more. I think maybe Mortenson should have used a book author rather than a reporter to write the book?

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Tiffany, you live in Lynwood? I'm in Seattle. I'm beginning to get addicted to Goodreads, too!

If you want some support with the turn-off-the-tv goal, feel free to add me as a goodreads friend and we can keep up with each other. I wonder if there are Seattle-area folks on goodreads who might want to start a real-life book group? I'd love to find a bookgroup to motivate me and to meet some new people!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 47 comments Tiffany, I agree about the author for Three Cups of Tea. I'll keep plugging away at it because it's a good story to know, but my feeling is another author could have really done the story justice.

message 8: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Isn't it amazing how much reading you can get done with the TV off? You find yourself saying I wish I had more time to read and then you realize that if TV goes off you suddenly have more time.

I hope to read "Three Cups" this year. :)

message 9: by Karen (last edited Feb 01, 2008 11:24AM) (new)

Karen 10. The Last Wife of King Henry VIII
11. Last Chance Saloon, Keyes

message 10: by Kim (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Kim I'm also trying to watch less Netflix and get back into reading in front of the fire. This is a great group to help me do that! I'm reading The White Darkness right now and I"m hoping to start The Other Mother soon. My face to face book group is reading Water for Elephants this month but I already read that so I'd be cheating if I included it in my 50 books for 2008 but that one is a thoroughly engaging read. I want to try to read more work from independent presses this year (since my book is with an indie press, I want to support that movement) so I'm keeping an eye on all the indie awards for suggestions...let me know if anyone has a good suggestion from an indie press. I'm also hoping to read more non-fiction. I actually really relate to what people are saying about Three Cups of Tea...I LOVE what he's doing and am actually working with a group here in Northern California who is supporting his CAI. Still, if it's not a novel or written like one...I tend to skim.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 21 comments I loved Last Chance Saloon, it was my first Keyes book and then it was on..I devoured the rest shortly afterwards...She is so funny, its nice to laugh while reading.

message 12: by Karen (last edited Feb 02, 2008 10:30PM) (new)

message 14: by Suzanne Shumaker (new)

Suzanne Shumaker | 53 comments I Love Philippa Gregory. I read a couple of her books last year including this one. I would like to read more. When I read historical novels I feel like I get more out of the book that just a good story or moral.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I also love Philippa Gregorys books but have not yet read this one. It is in my TBR pile though.

message 16: by Samara (new)

Samara Hey Karen, I'm right at the beginning of the Constant Princess. I read the Other Boleyn Girl last year and couldn't wait to read more. How did you like the Boleyn Inheritance and the Virgin's Lover? Those may be next on my list to get

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Hi Samara,
I liked the Boleyn Inheritance but the Virgin's Lover wasn't my favorite. The Constant Princess was so interesting, I had never read anything about her before. I think the Other Boleyn Girl is my favorite. Did you see there is a movie of it coming out this month?

message 18: by Karen (new)

message 19: by Samara (new)

Samara I did see that the movie was coming out, I would love to see it, unfortunately live in a town with no movie theatre. So not sure if I want to drive 2 hours to go see it. I like the actors in it, but not sure if they are really right for the roles they are playing.

message 20: by Karen (last edited Mar 06, 2008 11:57PM) (new)

message 21: by Samara (new)

Samara Hey Karen, just wondering if you had had a chance to see the Other Boleyn Girl movie? I actually got to see it last weekend and thought it was not too bad. Of course, as usual, the book was miles better but the movie could have been worse. If you have seen it, what did you think about the portrayal of the mother?

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen I haven't seen it yet and now I think it's out of theaters! I'll probably have to wait for DVD. . .

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen 16. Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen 18. Merle's Door: Lessons from a Free-Thinking Dog

message 26: by Karen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:15AM) (new)

message 27: by Karen (last edited Aug 17, 2008 04:05PM) (new)

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Half way there! I gotta tackle a bunch of books in the next 4 months if I'm gonna make it!

message 34: by Karen (new)

message 35: by Afsane (new)

Afsane (lady_sos_2005yahoocom) | 1 comments hi my dear here,

lets find a subject and then declare it to everyone and then give eachother chance to write about it. it will help our creativity ... what do u think???

message 36: by Jennie (last edited Sep 02, 2008 05:58AM) (new)

Jennie | 38 comments How did you like Rise and Shine? I couldn't finish it, but it might just have been my state of mind at the time...

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen You didn't miss anything. . . Rise and Shine was dumb and predictable and not all that interesting. I thought it would be an okay beach read, but it was pretty bad.

message 42: by Karen (new)

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 35 comments Someone please start a group 50 Books 2009

I didn't make 50 for 2008, but I bet I can do it for 2009.

message 45: by Karen (new)