Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > Favorite YA audio books?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Anyone have any favorite young adults audio books?

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) I'm listening to my first full audio book (I've listened to a few stories before), Sabriel it is excellent, I'm hoping to listen to the other books in the series too when I have finished with this.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I really enjoyed I Am The Messenger on audiobook. It seemed to come to life for me by listening to it. I tried reading it first, but got a much better sense of the characters and humor when listening to it.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Fishpond, I have a friend who listens over & over to Dale do all 7 Harry Potter books. She'd read them first. I've read them all, all but the seventh twice; I reread the first six right before number seven was published. Some day I'd love to listen to all of them. I've heard Dale does a wonderful job and have heard snippets and been impressed.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose | 1 comments I thought Feed by M.T. Anderson was ideal for an audio book. There are lots of different voices and sounds that come through on the feed, a computer implanted in the brain, and are different from the voices of the characters. Also, the slang and dialog is really distinctive and great to hear out loud. I really enjoyed it. Also, The True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is read by the author, Sherman Alexie, and is very good.

message 6: by Barb (last edited May 13, 2009 06:30PM) (new)

Barb Lawrence | 7 comments I think YA make for the best audio books. My favorite has been Runemarks, by Joanne Harris (read by Sile Bermingham). Also all the Christopher Paolini books (Eragon, etc) are like theatrical performances on audio--they really come to life. Reader Gerard Doyle is fantastic. He also reads on Looking Glass Wars, which I also loved. I agree that I am The Messenger was excellent on audio.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb Lawrence | 7 comments Fishpond wrote: "Was the looking glass wars abridged?"
Not that I'm aware of. It was really well done--the perfect sort of story for audio.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Why do they even make audio books abridged? Do people just want to listen to part of the story? Does it make the CD cheaper?

Melody [not just some girl you can sway] (melo-chan) Why are audio books around twice as expensive as movies? I mean, it's just different people's voices. That's not nearly as costly as making a movie.

message 10: by Barb (new)

Barb Lawrence | 7 comments I get my audio books at the library!

Melody [not just some girl you can sway] (melo-chan) I do too, but unfortunately my library only has a few of them on CD. Lots of them on tape, but they can't afford the CD audiobooks.

message 12: by Barb (new)

Barb Lawrence | 7 comments I don't know where you live, so perhaps it's not the same, but in my area I can go online and search a larger community. If another library has a book, I request it and they send it to my library. I can do that with the county library and with the city library. They make it so easy now! Another option, if you must buy, is ebay. Sometimes the prices are really low. Or bookfinder (dot com) for hard-to-find titles. Shoot, even Amazon has great deals sometimes, especially if you buy used.

message 13: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Yea that's true. Audio books are so expensive compared to DVDs, music CDs. It is crazy! $50 for one. I have the LOTR unabridged version and it was $100!

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

And what is weird is that the abridged version is like half the price. So I pay less to listen to less words?

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary pearson is a good listen.

Life as we knew it by ( sorry can't remember) Excellent listen.

My current listen is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow . I Highly recommend it

One of my favorite audio books of all time is The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.

Melody [not just some girl you can sway] (melo-chan) The Cricket in Times Square was wonderful.

message 19: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Templet | 1 comments I just listened to a bit of Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I don't know if it was the accent but I really liked it.

message 20: by Nicole (last edited Jun 04, 2009 05:25PM) (new)

Nicole | 72 comments I like to listen to Harry Potter on audio book when I am going on long trips, and when my power went out, it was one of my only sources of entertainment for about 3 days, so it's one of my favorites!

message 21: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Kemp (gregorykemp) | 3 comments Jim Dale is off-the-chart good in the Harry Potter series. He does more than 100 different "voices", each distinct. I don't think there can be a better reader.

message 22: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments I'm listening to my first audio book (A Little Princess) for a reading challenge in another GR group. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but I'm enjoying it. I plan to listen to I Am The Messenger next since I've heard good reviews.

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I have yet to listen to Jim Dale's Harry Potter narration, but he did a fantastic job narrating Around the World in 80 Days. I think he suited the story very well.

I've also been impressed with the full cast recording of the first two Airborn books.

Regarding the expensive-ness of audio books, I agree, it's quite distressing and rather frustrating. I also get mine from the library (and thankfully we do have the inter-library loan, which gives me a much better chance of getting my hands on one), but I also saw that you can download them from places like Amazon (I think) and iTunes. Most of the time, it's just as expensive, but sometimes you can find some great deals - I got my copy of Airborn from iTunes fo $9.99!!! Don't know how it happened, but I snatched it up when I had the chance!! The frustrating bit is that the tracks are SUPER long, so it's difficult to find your place, but for the savings, it's almost worth it.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) I liked Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zanvin as audios and I am typically not a fan of audio books.

message 25: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 13, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

Kathryn | 60 comments I totally second the Airborn series! They are among my favorite YA books, PERIOD! But the audio series is really great, it's a full cast audio and it's very engaging and nice blend of action with more thoughtful/character-driven parts, so it's good to keep up your interest if you listen while you drive.

I've also heard Jim Dale does a great job with
Peter and the Starcatchers

And, as for abridged versions, ICK! I don't like to read them so certainly won't listen to them. My husband travels a lot for work and has been desperate a few times so resorted to abridged versions and he says they are, on the whole, way too choppy.

message 26: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) My favorites would be the Harry Potter series and the Lioness Series by Tamora Pierce