Science Fiction Films discussion

Sunshine

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta For those who have not seen it: The sun is dying. There has already been one failed mission to try to correct this. A second mission is sent years later. Mistakes are made and one leads to damage to the ship.

Oh- I am terrible at this description stuff....

Anyway, for those who have seen it, what did you think?

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 166 comments I saw SUNSHINE when it was released, and thought it was a pretty good movie until it very suddenly isn't. The plot takes one twist too many, and the big climax is just too BIG and CLIMAXY, too contrived, it felt more like the filmmakers were working way too hard to come up with a really BIG FINISH.

Mostly enjoyable, though. There are far far worse films out there.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2009 10:04AM) (new)

I agree with Tom; it's actually quite a good hard edged Sci-Fi film up until the 3/4 mark, then...'something' happens that stretches and tears the well won credibility.
I felt it almost got back on track once that stupid twist section was concluded but Garland (Who wrote '28 Days' and 'The Beach') struggled with regard to what he wanted to say and how he wanted to say it.

Still, it's well worth a rent.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i've heard this opinion before about this film, and so i've avoided it. dave says it's worth a rent...and i've been trying to find some good sci-fi lately that i haven't seen that doesn't look silly (the packaging on some of these films! what are they thinking?)...

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2009 11:38PM) (new)

Phillip, it's incredible how many people have asked me lately about good Sci-Fi movies they may have missed; there's a severe shortage of intelligent and challenging films within the genre at the moment but 'Sunshine' is well written for the most part.

There are some beautiful sections and a wonderful sense of mystery and awe up until the...well, let just call it 'twist' again. Also, although it doesn't quite work, there is an attempt at an interesting reversal regarding the notion of redemption.
I think you'll be glad you've seen it even if, ultimately, you feel let down by the resolution.

message 6: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta So glad to hear that my issue with the movie appears to be others. I was not sure if I was simply not "getting it".

All in all, despite that, I liked the movie. Not enough to plan to watch again, but enough to sit down if it is on tv.

message 7: by Tom (last edited May 13, 2009 11:38AM) (new)

Tom | 166 comments The film has some real selling points, to be fair. Danny Boyle's skill with actors, and a really good production and an interesting storyline, until it just falls apart.

Worth seeing, certainly. But you'll know where it goes wrong.

For some reason this posting showed up about 5 times. I deleted 4 of them. The magic of technology!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay...

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip goodness, tom became a tape loop.

i'll check it out.

i was at the video store yesterday checking the sci-fi rack...it was frustrating. the packaging looks so lame on a lot of these. i think the next time i go to the shop, i'm going to jot down a bunch of titles and then present them to the group to see if people have opinions...

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 166 comments Beeezar. I know I only posted that once. I'll delete.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve I'm with Tom on this one. The closing third became too much for me, to the point that I laughed out loud during several scenes. Otherwise it's pretty decent.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments I really liked this movie for the imagery and the acting. Yes, the "twist" is a bit lame, but I think it's handled OK, and it's definitely one of the most intelligent SF movies I've seen in a while.

message 13: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 342 comments Mod
This is one of my older reviews and have considered re-writing to be more specific but I'm not interested enough to watch it again.

SUNSHINE (Danny Boyle, 2007, UK) Danny Boyle regurgitates nearly every science fiction cliché, which ultimately dims SUNSHINE and casts a deep shadow of unrealized potential. Once disbelief is suspended concerning the plot, the characters become one-dimensional caricatures and unbelievable; did you really think even for a moment that Cillian Murphy was an astrophysicist? There is no emotional attachment to any crewmember and if this is the best that humanity can offer, maybe we deserve to burn out. This was just a pseudo-intellectual homage to 2001 and SOLARIS that falls extremely short in every cinematic sense. Though the cinematography was excellent at times, I became annoyed at his flash-cut style during every action scene. My eardrums became fatigued at the overindulgence of the LFE frequency; my subwoofer actually shook items off the shelf! It’s fine for impact but not every freaking scene: Space is much scarier in the cold dark silence. The plot degenerates in its final act and ends with a bang…though it only made me whimper. Boyle should study some Kubrick and Hitchcock and learn how to generate suspense. I think I’ll apply to NASA when the hot women astronauts are required to wear tight fitting tank tops! (C)

message 14: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 101 comments Mod
I thought the film was near-perfect. We may not have gotten too attached to people, but Cillian and the lead girl were enough for me. I thought all of the special effects, production design and props were perfectly realistic.

I cant remember what the original end is vs. the director's end (or maybe I was just watching deleted scenes), but I know the ending with more emphasis on the old crew member and the way he appeared was friggin neat. I loved the storyline with that one.

message 15: by Kai (new)

Kai (wlow) | 28 comments i kind of liked this movie

the ending didn't seem to bother me as much as it did for some here

i think about 3/4 of the way it just got a little confused about what kind of movie it was going to be