Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week 29 (May 11 - 16)Done

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is . If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You could write about someone at places with displays of live animals, or you may be figurative asserting places as being noisy people making disorder, or just have the word in the story. And just using a prefix in a word is acceptable too. Good luck!

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,500 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Arthur [acting for Clare:]

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I Love Animals

I love animals, I always have.

All kinds; cute or not, large or small, mammal or amphibian, indigenous or not, feral or not. I love them all. As a child, I wanted to run away to a zoo, be a veterinarian, live in Africa and patrol poachers. Most of all, I wanted a pet, but I couldn’t have one. My mother was incredibly allergic. The best I got was a gold fish that I couldn’t pet and would forget who I was every three seconds. I tended to forget about him just as quickly.

For years, I had to get my fill of affection and loyalty only a pet could deliver at my friend’s house until one day in the seventh grade when I was walking home from school. One of our neighbor’s cats, Twinkie, had been hit by a car and lay–dead as a doornail–along the side of the road. He must have just been nicked because he didn’t have any visible lacerations. He looked as if he would pop up at any moment to chase a bird. That was the only way I could rationalize to myself at that time why I began petting it.

Something in me found it macabre, but at the same time comforting. I could keep this cat and it wouldn’t have to be left behind at a friend’s house. It wouldn’t shed all over the house. I could keep it stored away in my closet for just my own child-like pleasure.

So, I did.

I kept it in a suitcase in my closet and I even put it in the bed with me while I slept. It began decomposing pretty quickly, though, and I hadn’t been expecting that. I guess I should have, but it just didn’t occur to me at the time. I blame public schools.

I dumped the body of Twinkie in the park and mourned my loss until I came across a dog on the way back. No collar, not too big to carry and hide, the lower half of his torso only partially torn away from the top, and my mother had been teaching me how to sew.

I went through too many of these pets to count before I got out on my own. I then tried living animals, but I had become too complacent with the dead ones. They never needed to be potty trained, walked, fed. My first living animal ended up deader than the ones I had been collecting before, so I kept to my old habits.

You might suggest taxidermy, sure, I’ve tried that too. It just isn’t the same. For one, they look alive and so it makes me quite sad to see them. I wonder what they were like, if they had a name or a family. It’s depressing. Things that look vibrant and alive should be just that. My dead pets didn’t offer any false advertising like that. And besides, the pure delight and surprise of finding some nearly pristine road kill is invigorating. Christmas has nothing on it.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) H, I loved that story! It's so dark and weird ~ a spin on "zoo" I never would have thought of! All I can think is that kid's room must have smelled aweful! O_O

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Febreze.

message 5: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments hahaha..... yeah. not sure if that would quite cut it, but worth a try i spose ;D

message 6: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments wow, cweeepy. lol, i think i agree with jeeves ;)

message 7: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune nice! :D

quick, someone else write a story!!

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) No, don't! It'll be a land slide!

message 9: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune lolllll haha

message 10: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Title: The Forgotten Zoo
By: Arthur
Words: approx 1869
Notes: this is a little jittery and messy, and cheesy and stupid, and so on and so on …
Short Stories Galore: Whatever! As if you will

…………
The Forgotten Zoo

The old zoo had been closed for nearly two decades. Suddenly Plymouth Massachusetts was a buzz for folk talk.

For fifty miles, for all the way into Boston itself this old zoo brightened each word in each open mouth of every two edged sword. Every tongue spoke radically about the new renaming of the old Boston zoo keep. Well it actually was more like in Plymouth but it was named after Boston fifty years ago presumably attracting tourists. Lack of safety regulations for people as well as the animals led to a closing two decades ago.

On each tall concrete hidden in the city that had embarrassing advertisers plaited on the walls were freshly covered with modern pictures of animals alive and preserved and in cages. At the local H’s Animal Zoo. Who was H? No body really knew.

One day months ago, before Christmas as the story goes, an old relative of the previous owners must have come back to life. And to reclaim the predecessors way like many another any other pilgrims finding their homes.

The real story was a little different. H, the illustrious self named owner had been waiting for a bus. It was a cold winter morning.

The bus passed H. Seeking another and looking at a city map schedule in the terminal stand’s dome H looked at the big black scratched blotch in the far edge of Plymouth. Someone had scribbled on the blotch. What scathed it was marked suddenly caught H’s eye. The old style words in a legible scribble was the Animal Zoo.

Entering the zoo through a broken fence later that day to see it led to too strange a feeling that was not for the ordinary person. H preceded to have a vision. Before H was grass growing like tumble weeds through cracked pavements. a mural stated that it was closed by the health department. That made sense.

Now this afternoon the world opening of H’s Animal Zoo will bring tens of thousands throughout its opening day. Then within the first week many, many, more.

Months later Faeth Billings had been standing before her superior Staff Sergeant Thomason. He called a meeting and had Billings front and center of the group.

“It’s in everyone’s best . . . my best interest Billings to promote Jay’s sister to assistant of Junior Detective. You know we’re trying keeping this department fresh. And stock with new minds. So it’s back to little work for you for a little while flat footing it as you seem to be fond of calling them.”

“Whoa S’geant. I needn’t hear this.” Said Billings. As long as it wasn’t a reduction in pay she would manage, but being the only junior detective in the town she felt taking the demotion a little personal.

“But there’s more. We are crossing borders.” Thomason simply stated.

“What?” she asked.

“Mounties meeting with officers of the United State is not that rare. You have been given assignment for exchange with the Americans.” He said.

“W. . . What?” She was surprised. “What on Earth?”

“That’s right, the Sheriffs of Plymouth has been eager for the community exchanges, they have it all plotted out into a mainstream package. I’m not suggesting now for you to look at it. I’m saying I’ve already promised one, Frank. Er. . . .”

The room went quiet. A hush. Definitely a pin could have disturbed anyone now.

“But since Frank took that awful stroke, he’s penalized. I promised them an officer from the Crown. Well now, you’re it.” He said.

Faeth Billings was full up with the idea. She was going to be in Plymouth for at lest two years.

Meeting the police department of Plymouth Faeth Billings had a cool and good time most of the time. She learned as a rookie because of the diverse ways her native country restricted her in culture. Culturally she was behaving and expectantly pleasant.
“I’d like you and Billings to look into It.” the Sheriff said exclaiming the It.

Looking like a radiant and shining hope Faeth Billings said, “It’s a mystery how dope could be sold in Plymouth let alone a public school.” she curled up her shoulders in her frustrations of the mistrust and her understanding. Now was a chance to see action and crack a few skulls though.

Faeth Billings had been agreeable as detective. She had been partnered with Teddy and Bundy. Teddy and Bundy your average officers and detective were twins. Both had crew cut blonde hair, and been six foot one. They also had different appearances. it seemed only the age and hair were so much they easily connected, but other than this they could have been any brothers.

Teddy and Bundy Timmons were busy working on the drug case together with Fae assigned. They took her help in without trouble. She appeared a strong asset in their hands. She was new to the area though, and they decided to try to work that advantage towards their needs to benefit the drug crack downs.

continue...

message 11: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

continued...

Jed would make his pick ups any Wednesday. He always went on the same route. He would go to the zoo. He would then meet someone, a contact, learn of his pick ups and his scheduled deliveries and times & places.

Next all Fae had to do was follow up on the squeaks lead. A contact of the Plymouth’s ‘Against Drugs’ a group of haters had made the tip possible for the police in the first place. Apparently ‘Against Drugs’ had learned of Jed’s habit in operations’ at the zoo.

Fae looked at everyone’s passing faces, but all she saw were disappointments. Unrecognizable then lifeless faces. Faeth Billings saw the expressions were not happy or determined either. which confused her a lot. Almost all passing quickly and had been on some urgent hurry of their own. And mostly these every ones who had suddenly herded into the zoo looked unfriendly and unsure they were in the right place. Fae decided it was nervousness of her being in a new place why they looked so dead.

Teddy and Bundy with Fae had been spaced apart squarely. New to faces and friendly Fae will at the same be unrecognizable still too many in Plymouth as she stood near the DUNK water entertainment booth and the MYSTERIOUS FORTUNE TELLER tents. She watched for Jed.

That in mind with waiting to have revealed the drug connection of Jed her informants promised. She over heard a distinctly weird conversation inside the Fortune Teller’s tent.

“Darling, you need only trust us.” said a soft voice. The remarkable think Fae admired of its quality to stick out. The soft voice seemed to bounce in command. And was quiet while being forceful. the voice continued, “these people do and say as you ask because you are the wizard behind the curtain.”

A second voice mainly surprised Fae for all the mumbling happening, as she waited for Jed, which the conversation took on a shape of things conspiring. Little did Fae realize to what its magnitude.

The second voice was stronger and possessive in quality almost to make Fae fall through the cloth of the tent to hear more of the conversation.

“They come as we guaranteed. Now we have return and return. There is peace and joy in their shapes of their heart. Do you not see?” the second had asked, and she seemed to lisp her words as she spoke, but had control.

That was when Fae realized who they were speaking to. They spoke to H. whoever H been, H had been obscured to Fae. Maybe H had been in the tent questioning two fortune tellers, which would explain the teller’s strong presence in voice.

“H! You have to listen.”

“No! And I mean no. I should not have ever believed you two. You’re both insane. What I see isn’t as easily misunderstood as you make me believe. You lied to me. You tricked me. With that a lantern smashed to the ground, spreading a fire.

it was when she held her breath and then sniffed the billows of oil burning smoke that she rushed into the tent to help the assaulted H. or was H to blame? Fae didn’t want to break her cover, but she had a duty to help to, didn’t she?

That was when she saw a woman running from the tent. That must have been H because the other two women stood holding onto each other. They had a chain tied around them binding them as slaves wear. Fae looked threw them too. That meant only one thing that H had conjured up the dead. Two dead ghosts had talked to H and convinced her of something evil. Fae rushed out after H.

That was the moment things became ever stranger. The bodies in the zoo Fae had watched passing before were mostly lying down on the ground. They looked dead. In corners of the zoo were people beginning to devour other living unsuspecting people.

As Fae was thinking in her mind, ‘wait till I return to the department and tell them that H is a woman, she caught sight of what was happening. The constant zoo visitors were becoming zombies. Fae saw H up ahead pushing past the zombies who paid her no mind as they looked for new flesh. it even looked contagious.

Life over death was now the threat to existence. catching up with H to get answers was at least an option in the right direction.

Fae yelled, “H! Please wait, stop! Please!” and she ran to catch up with H.

H now stopped. Stood and waited. “What do you want?” H asked.

“Is this what you wanted?” Fae asked snappishly.

“No! Of course I didn’t want this. It was those . . . uh, I was tricked. Who are you? What do you want?”

“Who were those, uh were they witches?” Asked Fae, pulling out a hidden gun under her jacket. “What is happening?”

“It’s to late, the end of the world I guess. I didn’t mean too but I started this.”

Fae fired off a few bullets at the heads of zombies who looked at her. Fae was not prepared to become a zombie snack.

: Why do these zombies ignore you?” asked Fae.

“I guess the two, those two, I guess you saw them, were of the dead, and they feed me death to get close to me to control me. Now I’m repellant I think. They helped me build this zoo too. I did everything they guaranteed in exchange that I grow a drug for them. It was hemp that made people take pleasure in things they did.”

“And this hemp caused this destruction?” Fae didn’t clearly understand.

“As far as I understand it, it was a bane of death, and every flesh biting zombie spreads it. It’s contagious.”

“Why did you help them?!”

“I didn’t know. The pleasure hemp was supposed to help finance the zoo I guess. The ghosts wanted to give it to people, so I helped them and then they opened my zoo. I didn’t know.”

Bundy was running past away from his twin.

message 12: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Thank you readers; now let's get on to our posting our voting poll, which short story did you like most? Please vote.

((Please no more entries for this week. Please be around again Monday for our new topic of the weekly contests!!)

Voteing will be until Sunday night, final!! The most votes will be the winner of this weeks contest. Good luck! And thank yous for reading each and every weekly, eh!!

message 13: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

((Please no more entries for this week. Please be around again Monday for our new topic of the weekly contests!!)

message 14: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune oh man, sorry arthur, I know it was my turn this week. I just got home like 5 mins ago from a friends house! : ( sorry! I can get the rest of the week though, thanks for covering! :D

message 15: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune btw, great stories arthur! :D

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Good job Arthur! I almost won this one...

message 17: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

either 1?

message 18: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Either...2

message 19: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I pick 2.

message 20: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

((And remember if you are voting, pick from the featured poll contest. http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/15... ))

message 21: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Sorry! Haven't done these before. I am new.

message 22: by Christy (last edited May 16, 2009 08:51PM) (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) You knew! You just wanted to rub the fact that you aren't voting for mine in my face!

Or...nevermind...You voted for me lol

message 23: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Haha no prob Camerandi. :D wish I could have picked them both to. >.<

message 24: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune H wins! congrats h!

message 25: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments grats!

message 26: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune do u want ur story on short story galore?

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Second win! Awesome!

No, thank you Clare

message 28: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune ok thats fine :)

message 29: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Good story H, congrats!!

message 30: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
H wrote: "Second win! Awesome!

No, thank you Clare"

Is it OK if I put your number of wins up on the board on the website, H?

message 31: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Ya, sure

message 32: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
kk good

message 33: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune what name??? lol jk :P :D

message 34: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Who knows?

The shadow knows.

message 35: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) What one is that?

message 36: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) 0_0 no wonder I don't know it.

The line is actually from this old radio show (before TV) called The Shadow.