Shannon Hale Fan Club discussion

What do you think of the cover for the paperback Princess Academy?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I myself like the old one better, the one on the hardcover. The new one is nice, but I like to image the person myself. The old seems to fit the book more then the one of the girl. There's more to the old one then to the new one. I also think the girl looks to young.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i don't really like covers with the character on it. it just doesn't give you a chance to imagine what teh character is really like. instead you have to have a new picture imprinted in your mind from the illustrater rather than one of your own.

message 3: by Enna Isilee (new)

Enna Isilee (enna_isilee) | 16 comments Shannon says all the time how she doesn't like being too descriptive because she likes people to imagine the characters for themselves. I agree. And for that reason I don't really like the paperback cover as much.

message 4: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennej) | 15 comments Yeah, I agree. I think the old cover better shows the style of the book, plus it leaves more room for imagination.

message 5: by Lily Scott (new)

Lily  Scott | 8 comments Okay, which is the new cover? Just a pic of a girl or all of the girls walking? I like the one of all of the girls walking...

message 6: by Lily Scott (new)

Lily  Scott | 8 comments Yes, I agree! It is more fun to imagine it sometimes but then it is also fun to see it in a movie...

message 7: by Little Sparrow (new)

Little Sparrow (Ella) (LittleSparrow) | 9 comments Yes, I think that the first one was better. That girl wasn't how I pictured her at all!

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I love the newer cover, w/ the girl. Mostly because thats very similar to how I imagined her, and I can pretty much keep my original pic, unless I see a movie of it.

message 9: by Elly (new)

Elly (poisoness13) | 108 comments I just bought Princess Academy and was sad because I wanted all the little girls walking because every time I saw a picture of the book that was the cover they had but oh well. I agree I don't like to have a people on the front because I often don't picture them that way. But oh well the actually book makes up for the cover.

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lol

message 11: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 66 comments I really don't care to much about covers. It's the story inside that counts for me. (Although I do not like the new River Secrets cover at all.)

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) gaa! I hate it!

message 13: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 346 comments Mod
the BOB new covers are fine in my opinion, but i HATE the PA paperback cover!!!! it was the first shannon hale i ever read, and, unlike with isi in GG, i really got a picture in my mind about what Miri looked like!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooo, the painting hardback is so much better. I really don't like covers with photographs.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) Same! it is like they are tryong to force you to see them how they see them.

message 16: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) the pic was actually very similar to how I imagined Miri, so it's never bothered me. which is good since I could only afford the paperback. xD

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana I think I'm the only one here that LOVES the new covers. I originally read the books with the old covers and so I made my own image of them, and they are pretty similar to the photographs. Plus, I thought the old covers gave a really boring aura to the book. I mean, I don't always judge a book by its cover, but the old covers present a book that I wouldn't normally be interested in. It looks like a boring classic. The photographs make it more real to me and I can also show people, "Look at this book! Doesn't it look cool? You should read it!" and more people would be inclined to check it out. I haven't seen the new cover for PA, but I would probably like it for the same reasons and because I never really formed an image of Miri. I guess that's another thing that's totally different about me--I wish that Hale would include more little details about the characters. Don't get me wrong, I love how she writes, but sometimes I get tired of the long poetic descriptions of the landscape as they travel and would rather read about somebody's eye color. Idk, that's just me and my opinion. :D

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) I really liked the old covers, they showed creativity and i have had so many more people look at those old ones and feel inclined to read it than the new ones. i had a friend over and we had been at the library together for school. I had seen the goose girl book with the new cover and suggested she read it. She turned me down, but she later saw the book with the old cover in my room and asked if she could borrow it.

message 19: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 346 comments Mod
I prefer the new cover for GG, simply because I never got a clear image in my head of who she was. I always pictured Isi young, like 12/13. Never the 16(?) she was in the first book.

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2010 11:05AM) (new)

I probably would have prefered the new covers when I read her books years ago, but now the new ones appeal to me more. Not that theirs anything wrong with the new. As Diana said, I guess you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but the painted covers actually look like better quality books than the new ones. And yeah Olivia, they showed creativity, more fairy-tale like. They were surreal, kind of intriguing and mysterious, and the new ones are like, bam! right in your face. esp. Enna Burning.

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I really like the old covers because, thats what I grew up with. literally. The Goose Girl came out about half my lifetime ago, and I remember my mom and brothers reading it then. I remember them recommending it to me. I never read it, and forgot about it for years. But then one day I saw that cover, and it held memories for me, even though I'd never read it. Thats why I picked it up and read it, and why I love the old covers so much. after that I just became accustomed to the old covers (the rest of the Books of Bayern and B1000D). If I recommend it to my friends and they don't read it because of the covers, I say their loss, maybe they'll do what I did. If they see it with the new covers and pick it up then, good for them. It's really the story that matters. While I don't really think the new covers portray the story as well, others might disagree, and thats fine with me.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana So, I think overall it depends on what you said--It's really the story that matters. I mean, whatever you liked most from the book(s) will determine which type of cover you like. I enjoyed the BoB mostly for the action, adventure, and tenacity of the characters--so the "bam! right in your face" covers appeal to me. But I think most of you guys like the books for their magical, fairy-tale aspects and intrigue, so you prefer the old covers.

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) thats probably true. though I really liked the action scenes too. idk. xD

message 24: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) I'm one of the "any way to enhance the literary experience" kind of people so id go for the old.

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 08, 2010 06:30AM) (new)

This is off topic: Diana mentioned the characters. fairy tales, origional fairy tales, are persistantly maddening because nothing ever makes sense. It's mysterious and mythical, but you never really know the characters, events, or relationships. When people adapt fairy tales, they should give depth and personality to the characters, fix the whole "prince met princess, fall in love at first sight" thing to seem real, and should give the adventure intensity. I've read books don't really do that, which is sad, but one thing I like about Shannon Hale is that she does that. She makes everything awsome and believeable and real and exciting, but still makes it magical and fairy-tale-ish. That's why she's such a genious, and so many different people can enjoy these books.

message 26: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) I love her books and totally agree. I recomend her boo Austenland, it is an adult fiction about a problem most of the female population has, a Darcy complex. It is funny and real, it has a ton of depth of the characters and talks about looking through the fairytale facade and and seeing real people.

message 27: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 154 comments Dominique wrote: "This is off topic: Diana mentioned the characters. fairy tales, origional fairy tales, are persistantly maddening because nothing ever makes sense. It's mysterious and mythical, but you never rea..."

I totally agree.

message 28: by Diana (new)

Diana I think it is still fairy-tale-ish in the way I set it apart from other action books that I like better. It's real, but the magic is natural, mysterious, and the pace is still kinda slow. There's a lot of traveling on horseback and royal politics. There really isn't a lot of danger to the characters' lives, but the action makes more of an impact on how it affects people in how they feel or react. I like that, I like the feelings, but I'm more of a plain action kind of person. Kind of childish, I guess, but that's just me. The old covers are philosophical & abstract, and the new covers make it more real to me. I think the old ones emphasize the whole, "Prince met princess, fall in love at first sight" stereotype.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 10, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

So to you the action and fast pacing of the story is what makes a good novel, and the feelings and characters not as important. To me the feelings and personalities and relationships of the characters are really important, I need to really know them, and the action is nice but not quite as important. Did I get it right? lol :) but that's fine. That's definately not childish, because the truth is, novels are for enjoyment anyway. That's why there's so many different genres, (sorry, I take pleasure in stating the obvious,) but anyway.

message 30: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 154 comments I just think the old covers are beautiful and original. Having a model stand in front of an unsignificant background isn't very creative and is way too common. The old ones express the story better, but I like how the new ones kind of show you the characters. However, the new ones tell you only the main thing (ex - Enna Burning: There's a girl with dark hair who does stuff with fire). The old ones told you a lot more.

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) I think it a rare thing when an author lets you get to know the characters. Think of the classics, you learn and love the characters from the I wish main characters, to the wicked villain in their way. You were able to learn about them and grow with them, my favorite example of this had to be the Counte d' Monte Cristo. You got to know them each and see the story from their point of veiw. Goose Girl and the rest of the series is no Monte Cristo, but they are very well done and well loved.

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana ~♥Alyssa♥~ wrote: "I just think the old covers are beautiful and original. Having a model stand in front of an unsignificant background isn't very creative and is way too common. The old ones express the story better..."

I don't think that the old ones tell you any more about the story than the new ones do; I think they actually tell you less (which could be a good thing because then you get to know the characters on your own, etc. etc). The old GG cover made me think, "So...it's a dusty old fairy tale with a girl with long blonde hair on a random horse. And something about geese." With the new one, I was like, "Whoa, a beautiful girl...but she looks kinda shy too. I wonder what her deal is? Her dress is pretty, even though it's, like, old style." I especially don't like how the old covers look all cracked. Like the story is ancient history.

Olivia wrote: "I think it a rare thing when an author lets you get to know the characters. Think of the classics, you learn and love the characters from the I wish main characters, to the wicked villain in their ..."

Hey, I almost finished that book! Sorry...

message 33: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) Haha... I can totally see where you are coming from, you want modern writing so you're looking for a modern cover, but doesn't it seem elusive and mysterious to see the strange combination on the old cover and wonder what it's all about, and once you read the first one, you want something that has the same essence. When you see the cover of Enna burning and grab it, seeing it has that same feel to it...

message 34: by Diana (new)

Diana Olivia wrote: "Haha... I can totally see where you are coming from, you want modern writing so you're looking for a modern cover, but doesn't it seem elusive and mysterious to see the strange combination on the o..."

Aha! Exactly! :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, well, I don't agree with the old = bad thing, but I know plenty of people like that, so I can understand. Anyway, its cool that you'll express your opinions even though you know a lot of people don't agree, but I think there are plenty of of others that do :) Okay, so I do like the old ones better, but when I saw the new ones I thought that they were pretty cool.

message 36: by Diana (new)

Diana Lim yeah I know what you mean. Thanks. That's one reason I like this group.

message 37: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) We all have to be pretty good people to enjoy these books, i mean, can you picture some creepo reading these?

message 38: by Monica (new)

Monica Moss | 34 comments I like the cover. The one for the Goose Girl thats really creative looks childish. A lot of people decide the books by the title and cover. So i like the one where she shows that charaters. It gets a picture in your mind and lets you think of how she talks and her expressions. I like it alot this way.

message 39: by Diana (new)

Diana Monica wrote: "I like the cover. The one for the Goose Girl thats really creative looks childish. A lot of people decide the books by the title and cover. So i like the one where she shows that charaters. It gets..."

Are you saying that the old cover for GG looks childish? (I agree, I'm just not sure which one you mean by really creative.)

message 40: by Monica (new)

Monica Moss | 34 comments its creative but I think most people would see it as childish. i dont think it is. i like it.

message 41: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) I absolutely love it!... though I am considered quite young for my age.

message 42: by Monica (new)

Monica Moss | 34 comments the book or the picture

message 43: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) The original covers of the books

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica Moss | 34 comments Ya...

message 45: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) What?

message 46: by Monica (new)

Monica Moss | 34 comments I had nothing to say so i just said ya...

message 47: by Contrary (new)

Contrary (that-contrarian-librarian) I like all the original covers.

message 48: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livijean) Yay! There uis no way to beat them.

message 49: by Diana (new)

Diana They look old, like they're about to fall apart.

message 50: by Diana (new)

Diana This is kinda a random thought, but what if Hale wrote The Goose Girl from Selia's (I think that's her name...) point of view?

« previous 1 3