Questioning Society discussion

Other > My #1 Author is....

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree, you make me smile (new)

Bree (breej6434) | 835 comments Mod
Raquel is a new member of our group and suggested this new topic, Who's your Fave. Author? Why?
So giving Raquel a big hand in coming up with another topic (that's not political) Who is your Fave. Author?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) Eoin Colfer.

message 3: by Milana (new)

Milana (tutuintopointe) | 779 comments Mod
Meg Cabot. Because she makes main characters that you can actually relate to in some way.

message 4: by Milana (new)

Milana (tutuintopointe) | 779 comments Mod
Why do you like Fyodor Dostoevsky?

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) She's only written three books but Megan Whalen Turner. She's up there was one of my favorites :P

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Anton Chekhov

message 7: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 51 comments Sarah Dessen (sweet little teen romances, but they're really good!)

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Lauren wrote: "Eoin Colfer. "

*gasp* I've only read like, two of his books, but he's awesome!

Umm, so hard to choose... C.S. Lewis and J.K. Rowling are up there...And Laurie Hals Anderson is really good too... Dante's just awesome though. I'm only halfway through inferno but I love it! It's a classic. And you can deny that Dante is good. I mean, he wrote in the 1300s and his work is still around. There's got to be some reason for that.

message 10: by Raquel (new)

Raquel ok can i say like a million of my fave authors????

meg cabot
eoin cofler
tamora peirce
jk rowling
sarah dessen
Jodi piccoult
katherine applegate
libba bray
nicolas sparks
and so on..............

message 11: by Raquel (new)

Raquel um.... roni? u like dante???????

can u tellme why?

message 12: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn (bookishadventures) | 42 comments I agree with Roni, there are too many good authors. I like Raven Hart and Patricia Briggs also with J.K. Rowling. But I like really LARGE books that get up to 500 pages and more so I have to say Laurell K. Hamilton, which whom I requested on multiple levels why she is good. She writes the Anita Blake novels which I believe has 16 novels for. I'm only on the 9th and I still L-O-V-E it. If you'd like the first book is Guilty Pleasures and normally appears in the horror section at my local Hastings, but my differ for you. Everyone should really check her out!
Now back to reading Obsidian Butterfly, the 9th book!
~Sessy

message 13: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Margaret Peterson Haddix- Haddix knows how to write a large variety of books. I read Just Ella, and discovered a bunch of other books by her. I like that she can write about a princess in one book, and then an adopted boy in another book. It can be completely different books that are great by the same author.

CS Lewis- Read the Chronicles of Narnia, and liked the last few books. They were adventurous I guess I could say?

JK Rowling- I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series, because they make me wonder what will happen next in each book or chapter. You might predict that one person is the antagonist is someone, and then it's someone you might never have suspected.

Jayda Harrison ((like Jayda on Goodreads))- I have only read the story she's been working on, but it's something that keeps hold of my interest and is detailed. It makes me want to read more and keep going on and on.

Lois Lowry- I'm really interested in stories/books that are like historical or more olden times. If that makes sense. I didn't get to finish one book by Lowry, but got really interested in it just within the first few chapters.

I guess I'm not really good at explaining why I love those authors...

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Ooo. Lois Lowry is good too.
Raquel wrote: "um.... roni? u like dante???????

can u tellme why?"

Your punctuation suggests that it's a bad thing...

Well, he writes a good story, and if the translation is similar to his style, then I like that too.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) Right now? Like this instant? Bill Bryson. I usually hate travel lit (or really most non-fiction) but he just makes me laugh so much, and I like his writing style. He's been my friend all summer, and his book A Short History of Nearly Everything is one of my favorites. I think I've read most of his books at this point.

message 16: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 8 comments Ayn Rand

message 17: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 37 comments Edgar Allan Poe. If I want something dark but modern, then Neil Gaiman. Both great authors. I love their styles, and their works are addicting.